First fish of 2014

D
DrTheopolis
And as an aside...

I'll open myself up to the calling-of-BS...

In the youngster, carp-fishing, wasted-teenager-days, me and my friends just about lived in that park. Sometimes, we'd drink into the wee hours there (I lived next to it). Every now and then, we'd be walking around the lake, and a small duckling would disappear under the water -- sometimes they'd pop back up making a huge fuss, and sometimes they wouldn't. When we were younger, we thought it was giant bullheads -- eventually figured it was the few, large sturgeon eating them.

C
cdumitru78
Sturgeon in there? That would make it interesting to try for them, they would be large by now!

I
igquick
It has been a while but, did you just say there is sturgeon in commonwealth?

D
DrTheopolis
I've seen a couple come out of there.

Not sure about it since ODFW took over fish management there, I think they might have poisoned it before they started trout stocking -- then again, there's still carp, bass, and all the other stuff that used to live there. But baby sturg from the Upper Willy (also stocked fish) make their way up the small tribs during floods, and end up in some funny places.

As youngsters, me and my friends got spooled a few times while fishing for bullheads. And like I said, I've seen them landed many years ago. But I'm not sure they are in numbers to justify targeting them.

Doubt there's enough numbers

M
MikePierce170
Yep,

I'm calling BS on this lol. I know sturgeon are prehistoric looking but they're not f*cking sharks bro. They don't go attacking ducks at the surface. Have you ever seen the mouth of a sturgeon? They're certainly not designed for that type of prey item. I think you just had too much to drink with your friends haha. Catfish, sure. I can see that. But you're spinning a tale that even Jeremy Wade would raise an eyebrow at.

There were stories about a "duck-eating" monster in Lake Washington back in the 80's. They ended up finding a ~900lb 11ft long sturgeon floating dead in the lake. But again, officials said the duck eating thing wasn't true.

DrTheopolis said:
And as an aside...

I'll open myself up to the calling-of-BS...

In the youngster, carp-fishing, wasted-teenager-days, me and my friends just about lived in that park. Sometimes, we'd drink into the wee hours there (I lived next to it). Every now and then, we'd be walking around the lake, and a small duckling would disappear under the water -- sometimes they'd pop back up making a huge fuss, and sometimes they wouldn't. When we were younger, we thought it was giant bullheads -- eventually figured it was the few, large sturgeon eating them.

D
DrTheopolis
It was small ducklings, not adults. And it wasn't a one-time occurrence. I saw what I saw (several times), as did many other people.

Sturgeon don't get that big by fasting, it's more a function of feasting.

But believe what you like.

M
MikePierce170
Omg. Your logic is killing me. I suppose blue whales and humpbacks get big because they start eating seagulls and sea lions and move away from krill right? This is utter nonsense. This has nothing to do with "believing whatever I want" and everything to do with science. They simply don't attack ducks or ducklings at the surface.

So glad I didn't dip my toes in. They just got done eating a flock of ducks!!! lmao. For the record they were breeding here, not eating.

[video=youtube_share;Z-jHpIwTjZs]http://youtu.be/Z-jHpIwTjZs[/video]

DrTheopolis said:
It was small ducklings, not adults. And it wasn't a one-time occurrence. I saw what I saw (several times), as did many other people.

Sturgeon don't get that big by fasting, it's more a function of feasting.

But believe what you like.

Last edited:
C
cdumitru78
MikePierce170 said:
Omg. Your logic is killing me. I suppose blue whales and humpbacks get big because they start eating seagulls and sea lions and move away from krill right? This is utter nonsense. This has nothing to do with "believing whatever I want" and everything to do with science. They simply don't attack ducks or ducklings at the surface.

So glad I didn't dip my toes in. They just got done eating a flock of ducks!!! lmao. For the record they were breeding here, not eating.

[video=youtube_share;Z-jHpIwTjZs]http://youtu.be/Z-jHpIwTjZs[/video]

Haha, I am not sure about it either, but I have seen plenty of strange things before! For example, I sometimes take friends out to learn how to fly fish at Horning's Hideout, nice little trout stocked pond, the lady that owns that place is SO nice and I chat with her all the time. She often tells me that when the pond was built her husband dropped off 2 small sturgeons in there. She swears that now and then she sees them or that people accidentally bust their rods hooking what may be one of them. I never witnessed any of it, but she seems to be honest and super cool, so maybe true???