Finally hooked up

plumbertom
plumbertom
Today I tried the "rhody wall'' one more time.
But today had a difference.
After a couple of hours of cast and retrieve, about 11:30 I had a strike.
Yes, folks I actually hooked up with a beautiful coho.
It was so much fun on my brand new rod and reel combo, 8'6'' Ugly Stick Lite and Cabela's Pro Guide 40 spinning reel loaded with 300 yards of 10lb mono.
But as I was trying to get it to the net, it scraped that 10lb along the rocks and cut me off.
Never mind, I had the fun of it even if it didn't fill my smoker.

Reactions: rogerdodger
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Use 20 at least, I use 25 on one of mine and the other has 30! If you hook a 25 nook good luck on 10!

Reactions: plumbertom
S
sapo
Ya Gary, actually I have a relative who said he landed a 53 pound chinook on 8 lb test..complete BS but you can land fish much heavier than the line rating..

C_Run
C_Run
My buddy got an 18# and a 20# fishing for searuns in tidewater at the end of August, both on 8# test and spinners. If I remember right, he said it was a half hour per fish. He's got the cool hand, though, so I believe him.

E
eugene1
Congrats on the bite.

No reason to not go with heavier line!

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
You can of course but why lose a fish they are not line shy!

L
lizzay
Way to go, good job. It shows that persistence pays off! Now if I can get mine...:)

K
kwikfisher
C_Run said:
My buddy got an 18# and a 20# fishing for searuns in tidewater at the end of August, both on 8# test and spinners. If I remember right, he said it was a half hour per fish. He's got the cool hand, though, so I believe him.

I think 15# test is a good spoon and spinners line. The action on hardware is better on lighter test, and casting distance increases too. A quality drag system and patience is a must also. I have caught multiple albacore on 12#, and a 60lb bluefin on 15 lb test. No rocks in the middle of the ocean. My proudest moment was a long fight with a 24" Rainbow on a fly rod with a 1lb leader.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
I think 15# test is a good spoon and spinners line. The action on hardware is better on lighter test, and casting distance increases too. A quality drag system and patience is a must also. I have caught multiple albacore on 12#, and a 60lb bluefin on 15 lb test. No rocks in the middle of the ocean. My proudest moment was a long fight with a 24" Rainbow on a fly rod with a 1lb leader.

what he said! all I would add, with regard to tidewater fishing, is PINNIPEDS!!!!!!! I am good with 25# herring leaders, 20# spinners/plugs for chinooks/coho in the river, 15# spinners/plugs for coho in the lakes....

plumbertom
plumbertom
kwikfisher said:
This is true enough. I've fished bluefin many times when the would bite nothing heavier than 10 lb. and other than my trolling rig I never used heavier than 20 Lb. for tuna off SoCal.
As far as that 10lb. for the coho, it was more than adequate to handle the fish, in facy I'm sure a fish twice the size would have came in with only a bit more time and effort.
I may well step up to 15lb just to provide a bit more resistance to being rubbed off on the rocks. I wasn't really thinking about that when I strung the spool.
Also had I stepped down a little more toward the waters edge while bringing in the fish, I'm sure I could have kept it off the rocks. Just too excited to have finally got a hook up.
My old catfish net even though it it is a smaller hoop has an extending handle that makes it around 10 ft. in handle length.
I'll get it worked out. This is after all a learning experience.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
plumbertom said:
As far as that 10lb. for the coho, it was more than adequate to handle the fish, in facy I'm sure a fish twice the size would have came in with only a bit more time and effort.

absolutely true and in Siltcoos I often use 10# spinner leaders for SRC and coho.

it's the rocks and seals and other boats and extra hardware that can ding leaders that causes most of us to upsize in the tidewater, especially since the water clarity is low and salmon in tidewater are not leader shy...if I tried casting from shore at Rhody wall I would probably go with 20# for my spinners...

O
OnTheDrop
When it comes to Fall Kings, you won't see me running under 40#UG. It's not the fishes weight, it's the teeth on them...

For casting, use braid, with a 20ft bumper of Mono or Fluoro. Maximize your casting with braid, and have a strong leader.

Thats my 2 Pennies.

( I love fighting big fish on light gear, but Fallies are a different beast )

T
troutmasta
Ya if your casting you need 12 max or braid. There should be able to bring 99% of the hos to the bank with 12. Coastal nooks 80# braid 30 pound leader for me.
But for hos, If your casting and retrieving you want ^braid^ or light line. My coho rod had 10 main 8 pound leader right now.

Nice job on the Hookup though-