Favorite place to fish on the Clack?

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Howdy folks!

Like many here, I'm new but trying to learn. I'm in Portland and would love to get out to the Clackamas to land my first Winter Steelhead. As a bank fisherman, where should I head?

Many thanks for all of the advice!

H
Herefishyfishy
If I were going to bank fish the Clack today I would start out just below high rocks, work my way up to high rocks then head up the Clackamas River Drive and fish a few of the pull-offs along there.

C
Callaway
is it legal to park in those pull offs and go hiking off to the clack?
everytime i go along there i look for spots to get out and go to but always assumed it was all private property
im lookin to get out around the highrocks area after christmas and seek some out.

K
Keith
You could 'plunk' on Meldrum Bar. Not my favorite, but they do pull some fish.

H
Herefishyfishy
Callaway said:
is it legal to park in those pull offs and go hiking off to the clack?
everytime i go along there i look for spots to get out and go to but always assumed it was all private property
im lookin to get out around the highrocks area after christmas and seek some out.
As long as you are on the side of the road you should be fine, a lot of people do it. When you are heading north there are several spots to pull off on the right.

C
ConcernedCitizen
pinkygonzales said:
Howdy folks!

Like many here, I'm new but trying to learn. I'm in Portland and would love to get out to the Clackamas to land my first Winter Steelhead. As a bank fisherman, where should I head?

Many thanks for all of the advice!

Perfect timing on this thread, as I was just getting ready to ask the same question!

High Rocks seems to be pretty popular based on a few other threads I've seen, but I'm concerned about how crowded it might be. Will there be enough room for a novice to learn without stepping on the toes of the experts? How's the parking near there?

H
Herefishyfishy
There is some good water and parking on the Gladstone side by the old RR bridge.Coming from McLuaghlin head past the bowling alley hole on , Arlington st....? I believe there is a stop sign you turn right at that will put you right at the bridge. Should be lots of room for you there and some good fishy water.

pinkygonzales
pinkygonzales
Thanks for the great suggestions, folks! I actually tried to respond a couple of days ago but it looks like I probably hit the wrong button and lost it.

I've been trapped out of town with the 'fam for the holidays, getting back on Sunday. Just ordered my 2012 license & tags, and it's GAME ON in the new year.

And in the seasonal spirit, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone here for the amazing education. When I signed up in November I didn't know drift fishing from a fish hole, let alone the difference between a spinner or a spoon, a corkie or a cadis fly. I'm still a super noob, but I feel like I have a much better understanding of the equipment and basic techniques than I could have hoped to learn in such a short time otherwise. You guys are the jam.

Happy 2012!