Fall chinook - Multnomah channel

A
Axlave
Hey any news on if the channel has seen any action?

I have been checking out the willamette falls counts and the numbers are rising

(not by much... the most yet is 39 fall chinook)

but was wondering if it is a good location at this time?

Or is it still too early to go for fall chinook right now in that location?

Last edited by a moderator:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Halibut might know more, but I didn't know there was, or much of, a fishery for fall salmon in the channel. The willy doesn't get much of a fall return.

A
Axlave
Oh okay,
Thanks for the heads up Sasquatch.
I wasn't sure if there was one either... its my first year going for fall chinook.

I know the columbia is good, But i'm having a hard time finding good bank spots that are producing.

J
JeannaJigs
Yeah what he said, not really much going on for fall nooks in the dirty willy...now hos...there's some dirty hos......but they're kinda just trickling in yet, and i don't know about fishing for them below the falls, as I've only fished aboved the falls for 'em.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Axlave said:
Oh okay,
Thanks for the heads up Sasquatch.
I wasn't sure if there was one either... its my first year going for fall chinook.

I know the columbia is good, But i'm having a hard time finding good bank spots that are producing.

I dont know the columbia fishery, but I have seen people plunk on sauvies just above the nude beach. Will say that was for springers, and the fall fish can take a different path in the water way. Might be worth a look see though.

H
halibuthitman
you can fish from cathedral park down to the conflunce of the channel and columbia and have a very good shot at a fish, also, all of the outside beaches ( columbia side ) of sauvie are good plunking spots. There is also prescott beach by rainier which has a WAY larger chance of fishing well for you... supposedly fall fish run the north side of the river and will hit wobblers quicker than a plug or spin&glo.. there is also the boat launch on the lower Lewis and clarke.. very lonely and very productive some days. I also have a soft spot for the klaskenine river in youngs bay... very productive. but the channel... odds are not as good as the river or most of its tribs- good luck

A
Axlave
Hey thanks halibut, I might have to try sauvies or Prescott tomorrow then.

Soooo would Coho run down the channel/willamette?..... To go to the clackamas?

Sorry for all the questions.... I appriciate all the help!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Im sure they do, they're so random, you could probably find them strayed in one of the lakes off sauves... haha

Again, never heard of anyone targeting them there.

D
Drew9870
RunWithSasquatch said:
I dont know the columbia fishery, but I have seen people plunk on sauvies just above the nude beach. Will say that was for springers, and the fall fish can take a different path in the water way. Might be worth a look see though.

You should get into the Columbia fishing if you have a boat RWS, usually just plunk a Wobbler or Qwikfish in about 50ft of water, some big Steel get pulled out of there running a flouro orange smaller Qwikfish.