Expanding to surf and steelhead, reel advice needed

Chromatose
Chromatose
Guess I needed to listen with my good ear.

Fattie
Fattie
I googled spey rod and centrepin reels.. that actually sounds about right. Grandpa was an avid fly fisherman, and this was his heaviest rod (plus the hand written "steelhead"). i honestly have no idea though. I probably won't be visiting any pro shops soon though.

Casting Call
Casting Call
Chrom... Thanks for the invite for a PM. I prefer to stay public with my comments. I agree with you 100% re the professional world of rod building. I would not have it any other way! I was just saying that long rods can be used as center pin fishing set up depending on CONDITIONS! I have transitioned from skgit/spey to CP, covers more water (100yds or more) and more control for me on short runs all in one cast. Changing topic here, Why don't more peeps leave a bio about themselves? What are guys afraid of? Tony is 76 years old this month.

A
Anotherdude
@Fattie 4000 You can still use the Ugly stick with a 3000 reel for salmon, steelhead, rock fish, even lingcod.

Everybody fishes differently though, and I would recommend you find a method that works for you. I prefer a 10' rod with waders for surf perch. Some will go with an 8' and shorts.

Fattie
Fattie
I'm going to look for a 9 or 10 foot rod, for casting distance.
I found a kastking spinning reel I'm interested in (3000), so at least that's done.

LazyBrewer
LazyBrewer
Werewolves of London! Ah-WOOOOOOOoooooooooo!

S
Snopro
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's

P
pinstriper
I like his tailor.

P
pinstriper
Fattie said:
I'm going to look for a 9 or 10 foot rod, for casting distance.
I found a kastking spinning reel I'm interested in (3000), so at least that's done.

You can certainly use a 9-10' heavy salmon spinning rod for both salmon and surf perch to great good effect. Again, check the "lure weight" rating of the rod because that's the weight of the sinker's you'll be throwing.

Under 1-2 oz and you don't have enough weight to throw very far or keep the bait down in the surf. Over 3-4 oz is only needed in surf so rough you shouldn't be there anyway.

It's just not steelhead gear.

Reactions: Fattie
Fattie
Fattie
From what I can tell, I want a medium heavy power rod.. heavy rods seem to favor 4-8oz weights, whereas medium heavy favor 1-4oz weights, and i think I'm looking for.

Fattie
Fattie
I was actually looking at the ugly stik bigwater at 10 ft, which is medium heavy

P
pinstriper
make sure you are looking at SPINNING rods, not CASTING rods

Fattie
Fattie
pinstriper said:
make sure you are looking at SPINNING rods, not CASTING rods
Yes i am, thank you! I definitely didn't know the difference until this last week.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Fattie, the few times I've been I used my 10'6" #10-20 casting rod with an old Revo S reel. Worked just fine OFF the beach and jetty. Fish were caught.