Excuse my ignorance but....

olde1
olde1
A chance I will spend the spring and summer in McMinnville Oregon. I'm having a problem figuring out the area for fishing I should monitor. Seems like the state and others have different maps of areas with different names. So.... is there any decent fishing in the McMinnville area and what "area" do I watch?
Thanx for your expertise.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF!

Henry Hagg Lake, is only about 20 minutes NW of McMinnville. Plenty of trout, bass, and crappie. And is open year round. There is a $7 daily park use fee. Which you can find at the Lake Stop Store, near Gaston, on the way up to the lake. If you're a hiker or cyclist...you will especially enjoy the park and lake. The lake is also patrolled by the Washington County Sheriff's office.

For stream fishing there is Yamhill Locks on the Yamhill river, a few minutes up Hwy. 99W towards Newberg. And there's the Wilson River which flows into the Pacific.

Use the search feature above and you'll find lots of past threads about all of those. Chock full of valuable information.

Good luck and tight lines,

TD

Reactions: Admin and Irishrover
Irishrover
Irishrover
Just to add onto TDs list there is the Nestucca River that is fairly close for steelhead.

Reactions: olde1, Admin and troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Irishrover said:
Just to add onto TDs list there is the Nestucca River that is fairly close for steelhead.
Good idea Lonn!

troutdude
troutdude
There is also McGuire Reservoir west of Gaston (catch and release only--and maybe artificial flies/lures only too). Which is OFF of Meadowlake road. And if you follow Meadowlake road a bit past the reservoir, you'll get onto Nestucca River Road (and the upper stretches of that river).

Reactions: olde1 and Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Incidentally @olde1 there's a great music shop in McMinnville called The Vortex. The owner is a good guy and he knows how to do diagnostics, and light service work, on turntables too. And the natural foods store, kitty corner from The Vortex, makes killer sammiches!

troutdude
troutdude
@olde1 keep in mind that nearly all streams are currently CLOSED for trout angling.

And I highly recommend getting a copy of this book. It's chock full of everything you need to know (except current ODFW regulations).

1672692155873.png
1672692184546.png

Reactions: Unclefishman11
olde1
olde1
Wow, such terrific information. Thank You all. More info than I gathered in several days of "surfing" all the sites I could for Oregon fishing.
Now I am looking forward to coming up for the season. Told me I'm only working 4 days a week and have 3 days during the week to fish and explore the area. Thanx again!

Reactions: troutdude
olde1
olde1
Irishrover said:
Erin go Braugh!šŸ˜„

Reactions: troutdude and Irishrover
olde1
olde1
The questions never end. Would a ride on Kayak be appropriate for the area mentioned? How much shore fishing in the mentioned areas is available?
Thanx again!

olde1
olde1
troutdude
troutdude
olde1 said:
The questions never end. Would a ride on Kayak be appropriate for the area mentioned? How much shore fishing in the mentioned areas is available?
Thanx again!
Yes; on the aforementioned lakes fo' sho'.

Look up the threads by fellow OFF member Bass...he fishes Hagg a lot in his yak. Right @bass?

Reactions: Fishnbuck and olde1
olde1
olde1
troutdude said:
@olde1 keep in mind that nearly all streams are currently CLOSED for trout angling.

And I highly recommend getting a copy of this book. It's chock full of everything you need to know (except current ODFW regulations).

View attachment 639675View attachment 639676
Got the book today, it is huge!!! But.... you never said I would need a "microscope" to be able to read the small print. Hell, I'm an old fart! Hoping to absorb lot of good info! Thanx.

• Haha
troutdude
troutdude
olde1 said:
Got the book today, it is huge!!! But.... you never said I would need a "microscope" to be able to read the small print. Hell, I'm an old fart! Hoping to absorb lot of good info! Thanx.
Which edition did you get?

olde1
olde1
bass
bass
troutdude said:
Yes; on the aforementioned lakes fo' sho'.

Look up the threads by fellow OFF member Bass...he fishes Hagg a lot in his yak. Right @bass?

Hagg is great for a kayak. I have a lot of trips there posted here. If you have any specific questions after reading the reports and watching the videos please feel free to ask.

olde1
olde1
bass said:
Hagg is great for a kayak. I have a lot of trips there posted here. If you have any specific questions after reading the reports and watching the videos please feel free to ask.
Will do Thanks

troutdude
troutdude
olde1 said:
Good deal man. I'm pretty sure that's the most recent edition.

F
fishtherapy
troutdude said:
There is also McGuire Reservoir west of Gaston (catch and release only--and maybe artificial flies/lures only too). Which is OFF of Meadowlake road. And if you follow Meadowlake road a bit past the reservoir, you'll get onto Nestucca River Road (and the upper stretches of that river).
@troutdude As far as I can tell, McGuire Reservoir is completely closed to the public and has been for many years. It belongs to McMinnville Water & Light and they have it fenced off as private property. Has this recently changed? I can't find much definitive info about it online. Would love to be able to fish there.