ethics and native fish

M
metalfisher76
beaverfan said:
I'm not saying your wrong but I aint saying your right either.
;):D:lol:

T
todd_brooks
I'm not saying your wrong or right either. And you clearly know more about it than I do. But I could never feel right about taking a chance that I might be bonking an E.S. Just not worth it in my mind and I catch a hell of a lot less fish than you or maybe even most do.

G
GDBrown
This has been interesting and educational. After talking to a couple of ODFW guys I have come to this conclusion. If we, as fishermen, follow the regulations as published and we keep "all" the hatchery fish we catch, regardless of their quality, we are helping the natural and naturalized fish in the habitat. They stress that the sole purpose of the hatchery programs are to put catch-able fish in the water for sport-fishermen to catch and keep. As one bumper sticker on the ODFW truck read: "Every Hatchery Fish is a Keeper"

M
Mad dog
GDBrown said:
This has been interesting and educational. After talking to a couple of ODFW guys I have come to this conclusion. If we, as fishermen, follow the regulations as published and we keep "all" the hatchery fish we catch, regardless of their quality, we are helping the natural and naturalized fish in the habitat. They stress that the sole purpose of the hatchery programs are to put catch-able fish in the water for sport-fishermen to catch and keep. As one bumper sticker on the ODFW truck read: "Every Hatchery Fish is a Keeper"

What do you do with that dark hatchery buck once you keep it? Why would you keep it? Can't eat it! Hell, I have let bright hatchery fish go this season! My choice, plain and simple!

G
GDBrown
If he's that dark it makes good fertilizer for my garden but I won't leave it in the river, not anymore.

GD

M
Mad dog
GDBrown said:

GDBrown said:
If he's that dark it makes good fertilizer for my garden but I won't leave it in the river, not anymore.

GD

I guess we have differing views on ethic's, it's your fish, do with it what you want.

G
GDBrown
Mad dog said:
I guess we have differing views on ethic's, it's your fish, do with it what you want.

OK.:)

M
metalfisher76
Mad dog said:
What do you do with that dark hatchery buck once you keep it? Why would you keep it? Can't eat it! Hell, I have let bright hatchery fish go this season! My choice, plain and simple!

Smokers work purty good for me.

M
metalfisher76
Bad Tuna said:
The latest studies are saying that wild fish breed with hatchery fish less than 2% of the time. Wild fish are more dominate in spawning and choose to breed with other more dominate fish. Cross breeding is of little concern. Hatchery or wild, I think it's poor sportsmanship to fish on redds, or to keep dark fish, fin or no. Dark spawners can come back as repeat spawners at a rate of nearly 10%. Why cheat others out of the resource because of ignorance? If it's legal, and chrome take it home. If it's dark, leave it alone, don't waste it because it's dark and missing a fin.

I`m not seeing this study yer referring to. How in the world is a nate gonna tell if the fish next to him has that lil fin in the pitch black of night?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I probably wouldn't keep a native steelie unless I'm fishing a river with no hatchery fish, and the river has a healthy run of fish that allows for retention of said fish. I wouldn't feel bad about it either. I'd only take what I could eat and put the rest back.

Salmon - there are rivers open to retention of certain wild fish, and there's no hatchery fish on that river. The Wilson's fall chinook run, for example. All wild fish, and you can keep them. If I ever catch another one, I'm bonking it if it's not a boot. I love the taste of salmon, and it's been a while since I"ve landed any. My freezer has been begging me to bring one home, as have my taste buds and my belly.

As I said in another thread - there needs to be a serious decision made about how we're going to proceed in regards to our salmon and steelhead runs. Either we need to take drastic steps in restoring wild runs to strengths that can withstand fishing pressure and retention (even if retention is cut to a single fish a day per person, instead of 2) - which probably means shutting down all fishing on those systems for a long time (would want it written into law though that the system would reopen to fishing after X number of years, or when runs have consistently been above XXXXXX number of fish) - OR we need to write off the wild fish as a lost cause and increase hatchery production to keep up "opportunity" for anglers to be successful. Right now we're ham handing and fiddle f'ing around and we don't seem to be doing well at either course - and the fishing seems to be getting worse by the season. Out of all the trips I've made this year, to the Wilson, the Trask, the Nehalem, the Clackamas... I've seen with my own eyes maybe 4 fish caught by other anglers, I've not banked a single fish, and I've had at most one or two short hook ups and that's been it. Yes, I've seen pictures on the internet forums from more successful anglers, and yes I've read the reports. Sometimes I wonder about the brag posts - and wonder if some folks maybe exaggerate the numbers of fish caught, or number of fish sighted or hooked.

I'm not the worlds best salmon/steelhead fisher by far, but I'm not a novice angler either. My own experience has been that the runs just don't seem to be nearly as strong as they were in years past, for one reason or another. My preference would be for every river to be choked with wild fish. I don't see that honestly happening in my lifetime unless a miracle happens. While I'd be a little sad, I would probably support a closure of all salmon/steelhead fishing (especially including commercial fishing!) for a spell - in an attempt to bounce the wild fish populations back. There's plenty of other fish to fish for in Oregon to bide the time with. Then again, I wouldn't cry too many tears if we swung the other way, and they quadrupled the number of hatchery fish dumped into each system - if it meant fishing opportunities for my kid when he/she gets old enough to go fishin with Dad. I'd like to be able to take them fishing for salmon and steelhead when they're older, instead of explaining to them how we used to fish for them, but now we can't because they're gone.

B
bigsteel
metalfisher76;166882 How in the world is a nate gonna tell if the fish next to him has that lil fin in the pitch black of night?[/QUOTE said:
UV my friend UV

M
metalfisher76
bigsteel said:
UV my friend UV

O yeah!! UV! cause the moon light sends Uv rayslol Or wait, they gotta buddy with that cool UV light OFF to 1 side of the lie shining on his friends:) After they are done they SWITCH

C
ChezJfrey
metalfisher76 said:
I`m not seeing this study yer referring to. How in the world is a nate gonna tell if the fish next to him has that lil fin in the pitch black of night?

It starts with that common pick-up line..."Hey baby, where ya from?" ;)

B
bigsteel
metalfisher76 said:
O yeah!! UV! cause the moon light sends Uv rayslol Or wait, they gotta buddy with that cool UV light OFF to 1 side of the lie shining on his friends:) After they are done they SWITCH

A native orgy:lol::lol:

M
metalfisher76
bigsteel said:
A native orgy:lol::lol:

oooops, family forum.... later all...