Elk-Sixes River

D
Drew9870
It is possible, some of the fish still retain their aggressive nature in tidewater, unless there is a decent current or he is basically dead sticking his flies across the river, it is likely they are biting, I guess we'd have to be scuba diving right next to his offering to be 100% sure.

Idk, this is a situation where one could be 50% wrong and 50% right.

C_Run
C_Run
Occupy Elk River

Occupy Elk River

I just got this week's Port Orford News and there's a picture on P. 4 of a big crowd of people standing shoulder to shoulder at the mouth of Elk River apparently protesting the lack of rain.

S
skunk
Drew9870 said:
It is possible, some of the fish still retain their aggressive nature in tidewater, unless there is a decent current or he is basically dead sticking his flies across the river, it is likely they are biting, I guess we'd have to be scuba diving right next to his offering to be 100% sure.

Idk, this is a situation where one could be 50% wrong and 50% right.

So yesterday I was 15 miles from tide water and had a nook rise from the bottom and slam my offering as I was drifting it through a hole. I was a good 2' off the bottom at the time. Saw him turn and chase it down. Be careful who you call flossers!

D
Drew9870
skunk said:
So yesterday I was 15 miles from tide water and had a nook rise from the bottom and slam my offering as I was drifting it through a hole. I was a good 2' off the bottom at the time. Saw him turn and chase it down. Be careful who you call flossers!

Like I said earlier in the thread (maybe another thread), I've seen a show on TV up on an Alaskan river where people were doing nothing but tossing dries over the fish multiple times, eventually some of the fish would come up and just obliterate the thing, this was done in a hole that looked to be about 5ft of crystal clear water on a smaller river, neat stuff. But, a sinking line, leader, a relatively slow deepish tailout, it can happen, never going to imply it is ever intentional even if it does happen.

J
jawjacker
I just got this week's Port Orford News and there's a picture on P. 4 of a big crowd of people standing shoulder to shoulder at the mouth of Elk River apparently protesting the lack of rain.
That large crowd of people was actually a bunch of die hard individuals targeting salmon entering/exiting the mouth off these extremely high tides we just had. A few of them were lucky enough to bag chrome but most of them might as well have been rain dancing. Hope everybodys playing nice down their. lmao

M
mosd
ryanelk.jpg

floss my rear, both of my fish (hatchery fish) where hooked in the mouth. the smaller one swallowed the hook an the bigger one was hooked on the lower jaw near tongue.. but we did snag a few an released/broke em once we saw where the fly was hooked...we where using intermediate running line with intermediate heads unlike the spinner fishermen that where there, they snagged everything they hooked into. the guys that where drifting anchovies slayed em down there though.... flossin, give me a break:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

so its no different than drift fishing with a 4 foot leader an a piece of yarn at the end

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
So whats the total damage done mosd?

J
jawjacker
Right on mosd well done, good report. With that many lines in the water in such close quarters a foul hooked fish is bound to happen to anybody. Im glad to hear you guys were doing the right thing and not clogging up the entire hole. That's a great example for everyone to follow.

M
mosd
thuggin, hooked 7 thursday an landed 2 meaning the other 5 where "foul" hooked an broke em off purposely, friday hooked 5 but again they either broke off/spit the hook or was deliberately broke off.. id like to go back down there for the weekend, but going down there for the day sucks... so prob just goto the flats on the slaw an sling some bait/bobber oooor prob bring the flyrod an try for em there....?
plumb2fish, no comets this year.. they wanted all chartreuse shrimp imitations

R
Razz
Get here soon the rain is on the way,action was good today.

brandon4455
brandon4455
i didn't say you were flossing, ive seen plenty of people land chinook on comets without flossign them, i was just agreeing with drew that it is possible to floss a fish with flies on accident nice fish though, i can't wait to try my hand at fly fishign for nooks in the salt one of these days