Eastside stillwater report

brandon4455
brandon4455
this place has been dead! so heres the most recent report i have to add some spice. A good friend and i ,his dad, and two friends from boise met up at mann lake in the steens 2 weekends ago for some camping,hunting, and of course chasing some lahontan cutthroat. First time in the area for me and it was incredible.Scenery and wildlife especially.We had antelope just outside camp, some mule deer, really bright bluebirds and some coyotes howling away at night.

The fishing was solid the 2 1/3 days we were there, and the wind held off at times for effective fishing.We had periods of super wind gusts,rain, snow , and sometimes it was dead calm and 55 degrees with some sun.We caught at least 2 dozen fish a piece total for the trip, but day two i had no mojo and only caught two.

Method of choice was fastly stripping black/red glass bead head simi seal leeches on a floating line, i also caught fish using the leech patterns under an indicator, and caught one on a Large red chironomid pupa pattern.Some of the fish grabbed the fly so hard it would nearly rip the rod out of your hand! a lot of people say these fish fight like wet socks, and a few did but i actually had a fish take me to my backing, and a few others got close.We topped 7 double hookups and almost had a triple at one point! fish averaged about 15 inches but some fish to 20 were had.

The first evening right before dark the fish were in inches of water eating scuds, and we were able to stalk them like carp! you could see their dorsal fins out of the water, and all you had to do was toss a leech in their face and they would go for it.

In all it was a great experience, but i still prefer the central oregon lakes. enjoy the pics.

Brandon

• 1534833_10203691327667928_2097553568_o.jpg
  • 1957641_10203691331508024_1531387680_o.jpg
  • 1980254_10203691325827882_324624694_o.jpg
  • 858570_10203691328107939_1401440818_o.jpg
  • 10010746_10203691332708054_1776791314_o.jpg
Reactions: eugene1 and igquick
C_Run
C_Run
Awesome, Brandon. I've been trying to read up on eastside fishing opportunities lately and that looks beautiful. We're headed to Frenchglen next month so maybe I can persuade the wife to make a detour over the hill there. Good job.

S
steelhead_slayer
Nice report and fish

O
OnTheDrop
Always wanted to hit the Lahontans...

E
eugene1
Good pics, dude!

Looks really nice over there.

Best,

S
sapo
Looks amazing! Now I want to go lol

brandon4455
brandon4455
c_run, it would be worth the time if you can. Just a warning though, the weather is very very unsatble there, one minute it might be sunny and the next rainy with 50 mph gusts.

The water is super low this year, fish the north end of the lake (we marked our spot with a rock and a shotgun shell if you can find it) wade out about 20yds and cast/strip flies, or fish small spinners and spoons.

you should catch fish if the weather is decent

T
TimberTodd
The scenery at that lake looks awesome. Your first and third pictures with the snow capped mountains are great. One of these days I will make it there. Thanks for the report.

I
igquick
holy shiznet I am jealous!!!

troutdude
troutdude
TimberTodd said:
The scenery at that lake looks awesome. Your first and third pictures with the snow capped mountains are great. One of these days I will make it there. Thanks for the report.

^^^ Zactly! I could see one, or more, of your pics on the cover of "Fishing in Oregon", or other great books (or inside their pages).

Well done!

L
lilsalmon
Nice, very nice!

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks all. just an fyi i only took one picture out of those (the first one) and it was with my friends camera, so credit to him on those.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Those are beautiful fish man! I've only caught coastal cutties not a lahontan but in my opinion no trout beats a wild cutty

brandon4455
brandon4455
i know what you mean. coastal cutties have always been my favorite!

V
Vectorpete
Did you happen to notice if there was water in Juniper?

brandon4455
brandon4455
I believe there was but not much, mann itself is pretty low as well. not going to be a good summer over there for the fish

No_Bad_Skunks
No_Bad_Skunks
Nice cutts--and very nice to see that Mann Lake is coming back so well after having to be poisoned out. :)