Drop shot for trout

M
Masin
Just curious if anyone has tried a drop shot for trout? As a bank angler, the Carolina rig is the obvious technique but a drop shot would not only break up the monotony of watching my poles, but also might trigger a bite because of the movement of the bait.
Any thoughts?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Yep, and it works very well. I like using the Berkley trout power worms - the little red wiggler imitations. Pink or blood red are the colors I get most success with. When bait fishing I use drop shot type rigging as well, because if the weight snags you get your hook back, and have a chance to still get bit / land the fish.

Slow retrieves work best when drop shotting for trout. Slow drags, or cast out & just give subtle twitches to the worm. The bonus is that if you're using this technique somewhere like Hagg Lake - you will get panfish, perch, and bass plus trout. You never know what's going to bite.

I have also caught trout on wacky rigged senkos before - the 3" variety, while bass fishing.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Going to Hagg in the morning with my dad. Going to look for big fish and drag a drop shot right through them and see what happens! I will report back soon!

M
Masin
My wife and I have fished with your mom quite often

bass
bass
MrGrumpFish said:
Going to Hagg in the morning with my dad. Going to look for big fish and drag a drop shot right through them and see what happens! I will report back soon!

How did you do? Probably going sturgeon fishing but I am toying with hitting Hagg instead.

MrGrumpFish
MrGrumpFish
Sorry for the delayed report. Drop shots for trout ROCK!!!!! Targeted fish on the lowrance, stopped the boat on top of them and BAM! At one point had a hit the minute my line hit the bottom. Very effective and a technique I plan to use from now on when anchor fishing! Went 9 for 11. Going back again this coming weekend, unless I get too busy chasing steel. River levels will decide if Im on my boat or on the bank at the coast.

Cheers,

Chris

bass
bass
Thanks for the report. Sounds like that is a pretty awesome approach!

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Masin said:
My wife and I have fished with your mom quite often

No surprise. She's out there a LOT. Basically if she's got gas money and isn't watching my sister's son - she's goin' fishin'. She knows almost everyone who fishes out there regularly and is on first name basis with all the cops and some of the fire guys out there. She picked up a part time job actually working for the county out there in the summer.