Drifting or bobber: what works for you?

• Drifting

Votes: 62 62.6%
  • Bobber

Votes: 43 43.4%

• Total voters
N
ninja2010
Well ninja2010, it's been a year... what's your outcome? You get Steel by way of jig or drift?

:lol::lol::lol: believe it or not, i've yet to get anything by jig or drift. only thing i got was on spinner.

so now... i wield a fly rod.

Y
Yentz
I prefer using a bobber simply because it gets snagged a lot less than drifting. Less snagging=more time fishing.

F
Flymstr
Yep. Basically it is drift fishing with a fly rod, but it is also so much different. The fly line gives you the control you need to put the fly anywhere you want it, in a second.

S
SlamNasty56
Ya I think I'm gunna be bobber fishing a lot more this year. I haven't ever caught anything on bobber and jig just by drift fishing. I just gotta put out a bigger effort!

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
in my opinion , you should not have only one tool in your tool box . bobber fishing is easy to learn and effective . i fsh jigs and bait under bobbers . drift fishing requires a bit of learning , but equally effective . i also drift yarn , corks , and bait . when i head to the river i take two rods . bobber rod and drift rod . also , i can tie a blue fox on the drift rod . head to the river with as many tools as you can . learn several methods , and your chances increase that much more .

Y
Yentz

If it's only a short walk from the car to the river, I advocate this, but when you have to do any hiking, it can definitely be a pain to try and pack all that stuff around.

B
bigdog
If it's only a short walk from the car to the river, I advocate this, but when you have to do any hiking, it can definitely be a pain to try and pack all that stuff around.

It's not that hard at all to pack all that with you as long as you don't try carring it all in a tackle box. Get a back pack and a few of the plastic divider containers, or get a fishing vest. Everyone I know and fish with has one of the two.

F
Fishtopher
It's not that hard at all to pack all that with you as long as you don't try carring it all in a tackle box. Get a back pack and a few of the plastic divider containers, or get a fishing vest. Everyone I know and fish with has one of the two.

Ahhhh....takes me back....

I remember the first time I took Bigdog down to ol' Ceder Creek....big ol' tackle box clunkin around up and down that damned trail...:lol:
Havent seen him with one since then.:lol:
I had a tackle box the first time I went there too.

B
bigdog

Thats is exactly what was going through my head when I saw that post post from Yentz. I remember that day very well and nope won't ever see me out with a tackle box again thats for sure.

T
Troutier Bassier
Well, Today I got my Johnson handed to me.
I went to Eagle Creek with the thought in mind that I wouldent need any bobber fishing stuff. So I left it at the car. I hiked down to the crick from the hatchery lot. And then I was fishing a spinner, Then started drifting, When I was drifting I noticed every time my rig would get snagged. So I would break off pretty often.
A guy comes along with a bobber and catches a hatchery buck with a jig and bobber.
It shows that in Certain situations a bobber is needed. While in others a Drift rig is needed.

Thats why it can be nessisary to carry 2 rods or a fly rod. With a fly stick you can fish with a bobber and a jig, Or Drift, Or swing Flys.

Good Luck. Catch more fish soon.

S
steelhead_stalkers
I would never drift fish in such a small river.

B
bigdog
A guy comes along with a bobber and catches a hatchery buck with a jig and bobber.

:lol:Oh I'm sorry was that the buck you were trying to get? I didn't mean to take your fish like that :lol:

Just joking I hate it when someone comes along and hooks in to a fish right in ffront of you when you are trying and can get nothing.

Always take everything you can think of with you, you never know what you are going to need or want out there.

B
BobberDown
GraphiteZen
Last year I had a great time with bobber stops and a single bead or a bead and sandshrimp tail. Haven't had the time to get out much this season but when the water was so low and clear this is what I used and it worked great.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

R
ryno28
well ninja i have alwawys used a bobber when stealheading and i found that the longer the leader a better chance of hooking up. but i also just use home made flies an ugly bug and an egg pattern or a little prince nymph. 2 flies under my bobber has always done good for me... so yes stay with the bobber and save money on gear you would have been lossing from hooking the bottom. hope that helped a little

F
FISHHEADMAFIA
never go to the river with just one tool . i have by far caught more fish drift fishing , only because thats the way i learned to wack steel . since i took up jigging , i have also wacked fish . lots of fish . i would say one style is no better than the other , you just need to know when to use each tool . sometimes the water calls for drifting , other times a bobber is the only way to go . i always take a bobber rod and the drift rod . i dont loose expensive gear drifting , only due to using a cork and yarn , always . i figure if i loose a rig , it costs me the price of a cork , and hook , so about .30 cents . plus , i like the way winter steel SLAMS just a simple little cork and yarn .

Last edited:
C
Cohosanders
I would never drift fish in such a small river.

That's what I thought until today. I did not have to break my line at all today. Last week I went through all my weight on the Wilson. I was able to drift EC, catch a fish and leave with the same set up I came with. I do miss bobber down thrill, but as for now I will keep drifting. I only had about a foot of leader too:think::think:

F
Flymstr
Fish

Fish

Hey glad to see you get one today (Cohosanders). I won't say any more than we got 27 today. Was really good. Also I heard that there are some of you on this site that are going to another posting site, and talking **** about me. Well if you don't believe me when I say I get as many fish as I do, then fine. But there is no reason to talk **** about me. I don't talk **** about how stupid you are, and how you could not catch a fish in a FN Aquarium. If you have something to say to me, then give me a comment on my web site, and I will address you there. I don't have any reason to lie about my numbers. I am not trying to impress anyone, if you are impressed it is because you have seen the show. Please be men, and if you don't like that I out fish you, then start golfing!! and get off the water. You know who you are, so instead of spending your time bitching, spend some time learning how to fish, so you won't have to be jealous of me and my friends. Remember, I never said I was a better fisherman than all of you, I just have a lot of experience on this creek. If any of you on here have seen me on the creek, catching one after another, then let these people know, so they will shut up!!!!!!!!!.
Flymstr

T
Troutier Bassier
Did you keep all of them too?