Drifiting the north Fork in an 8 foot pontoon

pinne65
Hello,

I'm thinking about drifting the north fork from the put in at the hatchery to the mouth. But I'm a little hesitant since everything I read mentions the difficulty of the first stretch, Hatchery - Ericksons. And I also remember a boat tipping over there a couple of years ago and the guide drowning.

I'll be doing the trip in my 8 foot pontoon. I have taken about 30 trips with it over 5 years on the Clackamas, Sandy, Wilson and main stream Nehalem. So I am familiar with it under somewhat different conditions. I would call myself an expert though. I'm thinking If I come up on something that looks too difficult I an always lead it around with a rope or even lift it if there's a chance.

Is the upper part suitable for an 8 foot pontoon? What are the obstacles I will run into? Anyone care to weigh in on that. It seems like the Nehalem will be between 7' and 8' next weekend.

TIA!
 
Throbbit _Shane
Welcome to OFF. We have some other tooners on the site. Might want to see if you can find a floating partner.
 
rippin fish lips
Throbbit _Shane said:
Might want to see if you can find a floating partner.

Thats the best way to float in a toon. It's highly recomemnded now that the rivers are rising and will be at there higher stages now that the rainy season is here.
 
troutdude
Welcome to the best forum on the planet (and obviously most modes too...LOL).

I'd encourage life vests (PFD's), for all involved. We'd prefer that you have a SAFE venture.
 
halibuthitman
I would definitely NOT float the nf in a toon...
 
pinne65
Not an expert

Not an expert

Oops, meant to say I'm NOT an expert ;-)

And I do always wear a life-jacket

And "Not in a toon", huh - I did some more reading and came cross an article that said some people preferred that instead of banging up their drift boats.
 
halibuthitman
most people don't use a driftboat, framed rafts, the kind you would use on like the colorado is the weapon of choice, I think most people running it in a toon would be in a 10'+ guide qaulity toon... not a rig from buy-mart, Have you seen the bed rock slides in that river... and the falls? the guide who was killed on it had fished it for twenty years... not telling you what to do.. but please scout it on foot first, I can tell you where to walk in to get a look at the dangerous spots if you want to p.m me, or, I guess just go for it- Brad
 
GDBrown
PFD's required for all Tooners

PFD's required for all Tooners

troutdude said:
Welcome to the best forum on the planet (and obviously most modes too...LOL).

I'd encourage life vests (PFD's), for all involved. We'd prefer that you have a SAFE venture.

According to the Oregon Boater's Handbook

"Inner Tubes, Float Tubes and Toys
Persons using single inner tubes, beach toys and single
float tubes are not required to carry life jackets. Although
sailboards and float tubes are considered boats, they are
exempt from the life jacket requirement. Life jacket use
is strongly advised. Children and non-swimmers should
always wear life jackets.
Multi-chamber crafts (including single tubes lashed
together into rafts) are considered boats and must carry
life jackets for each person on board.
River drifting in tubes is dangerous. Wear bright colors
to alert boaters to your presence."


So my little float tube which has two air chambers, even though it is a feet in the water type device, means I'm required to have a PFD on board. It might as well be on me as in the boat! Right!:D

GD
 
pinne65
halibuthitman said:
most people don't use a driftboat, framed rafts, the kind you would use on like the colorado is the weapon of choice, I think most people running it in a toon would be in a 10'+ guide qaulity toon... not a rig from buy-mart, Have you seen the bed rock slides in that river... and the falls? the guide who was killed on it had fished it for twenty years... not telling you what to do.. but please scout it on foot first, I can tell you where to walk in to get a look at the dangerous spots if you want to p.m me, or, I guess just go for it- Brad

Thanks for the advice, I'll pm you. My main reason for drifting is ease of access, since it seems the nf is surrounded by private land. And rumored to be hard to access. Judging from the replies I've gotten here. I think I will postpone or cancel the float. Or at least my a scouting trip first.
 
Top Bottom