Does the perfect spinner exist?

S
Snakehandler7
When I envision the perfect spinning lure, I envision something like a panther Martin meets a mepps, but with some actual weight to it. Idk. Can they make the whole rig out of tungsten or something? That sounds cheap.

What would be your ideal spinne? Better yet, have you found that sucker?

Admin
Admin
Snakehandler7 said:
What would be your ideal spinne?
The one that would work in any depth of water in any weather for any kind of fish? 🤭

P
Pni_fisherdude
You have to make it yourself.

Reactions: Troutski
troutdude
troutdude
I concur with @Pni_fisherdude. After reading Jed Davis's book in the 80's, I began making my own. And if you follow his designs--and instructions based on the conditions--they are DEADLY!

P.S. Jed's advice isn't just theoretical either. He took a very scientific approach to figuring out our quarry. Get a copy of his book "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout. Read it and you will be well educated within a very short time span.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snakehandler7 and Troutski
B
Bama Creek Bum
troutdude said:
I concur with @Pni_fisherdude. After reading Jed Davis's book in the 80's, I began making my own. And if you follow his designs--and instructions based on the conditions--they are DEADLY!

P.S. Jed's advice isn't just theoretical either. He took a very scientific approach to figuring out our quarry. Get a copy of his book "Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout. Read it and you will be well educated within a very short time span.
Thanks for the info I'll see if I can find the book.

P
pcstock
Roostertails!

DOKF
DOKF
I prefer Panther Martins ... I've never actually had much luck with rooster tails. I've always gone with what works for me, so seldom actually try rooster tails ...

S
slabjig
Brown 1/8 oz roostertail is a close to perfect as it gets, second place goes to either brown 1/4 oz or 1/16 oz roostertail, depending on what you're fishing for.

Shaun Solomon
Shaun Solomon
Some folks are like “rooster tails”

• 65C17E31-93B3-474E-9147-BE238B8DE9D7.jpeg
troutdude
troutdude
These right here have caught more rainbow's than any other lure for me. In this specific "Fire Tiger" pattern. And small brown Rooster's catch Blueback's like crazy too. Because they resemble baby crawdads, which Blueback's gorge on when they return to fresh water.

1647970008747.png

troutdude
troutdude
The only thing I have found, that outdoes those Rooster's above, are Woolly Buggers. But, then, those aren't spinners. (However they can EFFECTIVELY catch 'bows with a spinning rod too).
1647971151019.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DOKF
D
DonF
Ideal sounds a lot like perfect to me. Perfect to one person does not exist to another! Get one of each and your good to go!

D
DonF
Over the years I think I've tried every one of te spinner's mentioned and at different time's every one of them has paid off. But My all time favorite for trout was a double blade Indiana spinner pulling a night crawler about 10 or 12 inchs behind it.

troutdude
troutdude
A dodger with a worm trailing 8” - 10” behind is also highly effective. When/where bait is allowed.

Reactions: DonF
D
DonF
The only perfect things on earth are my dogs! :)

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude