Do spoons work for you?

F
fishingfreak
kirkster said:
if your interested in loosing less hardware. I've used the brass little cleo and had great success for winter fish. But for less hang ups I get rid of the trebble hook and switch out to a siwash. Its made a huge difference on lost gear.

Thanks for the info Kirkster. I will try the Little Cleos with a Siwash. I have used them on the Stee Lees but they are pretty heavy and hang up anyway unless I keep a lot of tension on the line.

FF

M
michigan_transplant
Great post guys. I just "inherited" a whole box of spoons from an older guy at work that said he didn't do much salmon/steelhead fishing anymore and didn't want them sitting around anymore. I haven't really used them much but ill be sure to now after reading all this.

Troutski
Troutski
Trust me.....

Trust me.....

michigan_transplant said:
Great post guys. I just "inherited" a whole box of spoons from an older guy at work that said he didn't do much salmon/steelhead fishing anymore and didn't want them sitting around anymore. I haven't really used them much but ill be sure to now after reading all this.

I would be more than happy to go through them for you if you just don't have the time, really you can trust me; I am a fisher...:rolleyes:

Chuck

troutdude
troutdude
I truly enjoy using "older" gear. I buy up bunches whenever I see it at yard sales, craig's list, eBay and such.

It may come in the form of a vintage rod, reel, or tackle.

It's a kick to use something that others aren't anymore...especially when the older stuff still catches fish!

T
troutzyk
nw wild country that seattle talkshow on fsn just this morning had a how to fish spoons segment (whole hour). herzog broke it all down. i haven't really fished spoons much but i got the itch after watching it went out a bought a bunch and plan on using them on the sandy tomorrow

H
halibuthitman
kirkster said:
Im not sure if thats a question or if your reply ended with a question mark. But those who think they have to have a trebble hook because a single hook wont hook up as well... Probably doesn't keep his hooks sharp. The main reason I started using the siwash. Was when I started hitting the washington rivers and a lot of there rivers have a non bouyant lure restriction. just keep em sharp and they are just as effective.
siwash hooks work so well, that sometimes they work too well, pinching the barb on Native infested rivers is my recomendation. and as for do spoons fish? I have had 12 steel in one day on the same spoon.. and caught hundreds of silvers on pixies, roll the spoon and swing.. repeat and for kings or steel the straight upstream cast and retreave works well also.

brandon4455
brandon4455
ive caught trout bass and hooked steelhead on spoons kastmasters and little cleo mainly for lake fishing. retrieving them at a medium speed as i would with a roostertail.

R
rippin fish lips
kirkster said:
Im not sure if thats a question or if your reply ended with a question mark. But those who think they have to have a trebble hook because a single hook wont hook up as well... Probably doesn't keep his hooks sharp. The main reason I started using the siwash. Was when I started hitting the washington rivers and a lot of there rivers have a non bouyant lure restriction. just keep em sharp and they are just as effective.

well i know i dont need a treble to hook into fish cuz i have used single hooks

R
rippin fish lips
ok so i never have casted a cleo and next trip to get more lures i want to get a couple, i knwo copper is a good one, but not sure of the other colors or what size to get? I have been hooking up into steelhead with a different lure each trip lately and i want one of them to be from a cleo!

C
Coho Kid
Can't go wrong with the 1/2 paint candy colors. I do well on the old MJ with chartreuse or orange tip as well.