Do I have the one pole that the fish won't bite on?

O
orygunfan55
I know everyone gets a little frustrated when you don't bring home some fish, but I have been fishing for everything for everything in the last couple Weeks and all I have caught were some legal size trout and one brown that I reeled in on my sister in laws pole cuz she why to the bathroom and I was watching her pole. I just want to scream!

C
ChezJfrey
I guess I'm confused. So you caught some trout, but aren't too pleased...what are you fishing for? Or, is this a case of not enough...or not big enough...or????

18406ej
18406ej
orygunfan55,

No, you do not own the one pole that the fish won't bite on. I think that we must have purchased our rods at the same place. I don't have a sister-in-law, but I have found that when nearby anglers hook into a good sized Steelhead a quick punch on the snoot allows me to bring the fish in. It is almost worth the lawsuits and the 6 years of probation that I have accumulated thus far.

Patience is a virtue.

Sincerely,

EJ

O
orygunfan55
I personally have only caught 2 legal trout in 3 Weeks, yes its better than nothing but when everyone around is pulling out nice sized trout and im not getting a hit its frustrating, sorry I guess I was venting

C
ChezJfrey
orygunfan55 said:
I personally have only caught 2 legal trout in 3 Weeks, yes its better than nothing but when everyone around is pulling out nice sized trout and im not getting a hit its frustrating, sorry I guess I was venting

No apology needed, was just wondering what the issue was. Where you fishing?

O
orygunfan55
N. Santiam, Trillium lake, Town lake, and more....basically all over from Salem to the coast to mt. Hood

S
Spydeyrch
orygunfan55 said:
N. Santiam, Trillium lake, Town lake, and more....basically all over from Salem to the coast to mt. Hood

What are you fishing with? Fly rod, spinner rod? Gear (spinners, etc), bait, or flies?

-Spydey

O
orygunfan55
Spydeyrch said:
What are you fishing with? Fly rod, spinner rod? Gear (spinners, etc), bait, or flies?

-Spydey

Been using a spinner rod, and have been trying everything from night crawlers to shrimp and spinners. I think i'm just hitting the wrong spots at the wrong times

S
Spydeyrch
orygunfan55 said:
Been using a spinner rod, and have been trying everything from night crawlers to shrimp and spinners. I think i'm just hitting the wrong spots at the wrong times

Well there's your problem man!!! You are using spinners and bait!!! :lol: You should leave the dark side and come over to the light side of the force!!

Just a little fly fisher humor for you. :D

But on a more serious note, it sounds like you are doing things right.

Something I would recommend, try and go out with someone that has fished those waters before and has had success. It will help to teach a ton and get you into some fish. :)

Good luck man.

-Spydey

-P.S. One other thing. Once I got back into fishing since a long hiatus from my younger years, I did spinner and bait fishing for about 1.5 years and was skunked for 1.5 years. I eventually switched to fly fishing and have LOVED IT!!! I think that in the last 1.5 years that I have been fly fishing, I think I was skunked like twice. I may not be the best at it but I always manage to get at least something!!! :D

Also, I would say that it isn't about how many or how big of fish one catches but the enjoyment that one gets from the effort and action. Sometimes the fruit is in the planting and caring of the tree and not the apples that it produces. :D Just a little thought there for you to help you not get too frustrated while you are out there fishing. :D

Take care and enjoy the water.

Last edited:
N
nativefish
Lm*o!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O
orygunfan55
Lol, that's funny. I've actually thought about fly fishing but Im not in a position to go out and buy a whole new set up and new tackle for something which I know nothing about...maybe one day I will leave the dark side : )

W
wozniasm
orygunfan55 said:

Bottom fishing:
Is your leader 2 to 3 feet long?
Are you using a slip sinker?

Spinners:
Are you adjust to different speeds of your retreive?
Are you running your spinner on the edge of the fast water?

madasahab
madasahab
orygunfan55 said:
I know everyone gets a little frustrated when you don't bring home some fish, but I have been fishing for everything for everything in the last couple Weeks and all I have caught were some legal size trout and one brown that I reeled in on my sister in laws pole cuz she why to the bathroom and I was watching her pole. I just want to scream!

The fish Gods are angry...I feel ya man...I have fished the valley and coast HARD all spring until now and I have only hooked one salmon on the coast which I lost at the bank...also, my girlfriend has only been fishing 3 times ever and she hooks a salmon and it breaks off at the bank...never give up, never surrender!!!

B
bran_man
It's cool man. I think everyone is put in that situation from time to time. I too am also in kind of a funk where I am just not getting into fish lately which is super frustrating and definitely a ding on the self confidence. Especially when you have some friends that are REALLY GOOD fishermen (dtikey! :mad: ha ha ) and it just seems like everyone but you is catching..believe me,you are def not the only one.... Just gotta keep at it and eventually something will click (hopefully ha ha )

J
Jsjmac1
Aww buddy, you cannot always be successful. You have to just keep tryimg and you will get there. It's all good so long as your black anti-fish cloud doesn't affect me. You always make my days seem real successful. With all kidding aside, thanks for pulling in my trout for me. We wouldn't have it in the freezer if it wasn't for you.

O
orygunfan55
You gotta love the in laws!

Jsjmac1 said:
Aww buddy, you cannot always be successful. You have to just keep tryimg and you will get there. It's all good so long as your black anti-fish cloud doesn't affect me. You always make my days seem real successful. With all kidding aside, thanks for pulling in my trout for me. We wouldn't have it in the freezer if it wasn't for you.

J
Jsjmac1
I love you too. Someone has to boost your social status. We will eventually hook some big ones.

I
imfishing
Jsjmac1 said:
"We will eventually hook some big ones."

Greetings...

Just Curious - When You Say Big Ones, What Species Are You Targeting?

Feel Free To PM Me Your Answer.;)

For Some Reason This Forum Has Become A Hotbed Of Emotions, And Scared A lot Of People Away...Including Me. :mad:

Thanks,

C
ChezJfrey
bran_man said:
It's cool man. I think everyone is put in that situation from time to time. I too am also in kind of a funk where I am just not getting into fish lately which is super frustrating and definitely a ding on the self confidence. Especially when you have some friends that are REALLY GOOD fishermen (dtikey! :mad: ha ha ) and it just seems like everyone but you is catching..believe me,you are def not the only one.... Just gotta keep at it and eventually something will click (hopefully ha ha )

I'm going to reply to this, because this describes everything...this was me. Last year I decided to tackle steelhead. I tried everything, jigs/float, drifting corkie, sandshrimp, prawns, spinners, spoons, you name it...but perseverance eventually won out; stick to a method and figured some stuff out; Last year I was 0-3 on steelhead and this year I'm 13-22. I'm telling you, going a whole year is frustrating as h*ll, but if you want it all, you gotta just suck up and put in the time to learn. And eventually, it comes...

I
imfishing
ChezJfrey said:
Last year I was 0-3 on steelhead and this year I'm 13-22. You gotta just suck up and put in the time to learn. And eventually, it comes...

Well Said...:think: Well Said.