DIY Blue Fox spinners

J
J The Slayer
Anyone on here make have a DIY of how to make Blue Fox spinners? Where to buy part and part names?

Thanks
 
Irishrover
Irishrover
Used to get parts from Cabelas but that was awhile ago.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer
Chromatose
Chromatose
You will need a wire former, Treble hooks, Blades, Coned bodies, Decals. All can be found at Barlows Tackle or Janzcraft.

If I were you I would contact Troutski here in the forum. He forgot more about making spinners then most.
Plus he makes some Dam nice spinners. Good luck to you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer
Casting Call
Casting Call
Try Tacklewarehouse.com. Tony
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer
00Swede
00Swede
OK, I'll weigh in on this one but this is only my way and you may want to modify to fit your style of fishing. These work very, very well for me for Chinook, Coho and Steelhead and a downsized version catch trout very well.
First off, you don't need an expensive wire forming tool but they are nice. I got by for several years with just a cheap pair of "round nose" pliers that you can find at most craft stores in the jewelry making area. Puts a nice eye in your spinner wire.
These look a lot like the Blue Fox but are heavier and don't make the rattle a Blue Fox may make. Upfront costs get a little high but in the end you can make great spinners for a low "each" price.
I use barlowstackle.com for most of my "French Style spinner blades (also Panther Martin style) and order most stuff online since I don't have the good sporting goods stores here in the Gorge. The stores won't beat Barlow's prices, even after shipping but if you want to start with just a few the stores will have some.
For the spinner bodies I use I use inline bullet weights that I color with Pro Tec powder paint and even just spray paint some. Mostly 1/2 ounce for my areas but also 1/4 and 3/8 oz. I also put a bead on under the bullet wight for a little bling. Some of the beads just come from craft type stores, very cheap. Also some from sporting goods stores.
Barlows does have other spinner bodies like Blue Fox if you prefer.
Hooks need to be "single hooks and barbless for most of the fishing here. I have started to use VMC Siwash Open Eye hooks a lot. Ordered them form Cabelas but more place starting to carry them now. Also Gamakatsu Big River (Open Eye) that I can usually find at BiMart. I like the Open Eye style because I like a swivel at the hook.
Beware, it can become as much an addiction as fishing itself. And for jigs......well that's another story. Good Luck

DIY Blue Fox spinners
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: SciFly, freednog, J The Slayer and 2 others
Chromatose
Chromatose
Show OFF đŸ˜‚
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: J The Slayer and Aervax
J
J The Slayer
00Swede - What an excellent post!!! What treble hooks are strong enough for salmon if happen to hook a huge one. Don't want a straightened hook. Is there a rule of thumb for hook size being used with blade size for correct balance? How about a rule of thumb for clevis size to be use with blade size?
 
Last edited:
00Swede
00Swede
J The Slayer said:
00Swede - What an excellent post!!! What treble hooks are strong enough for salmon if happen to hook a huge one. Don't want a straightened hook. Is there a rule of thumb for hook size being used with blade size for correct balance? How about a rule of thumb for clevis size to be use with blade size?
I try to match whatever size that is on Blue Fox. Hooks are a place I don't scrimp on. Gotta be good. Gamakatsu or Owners, preferably in X-strong or 2X. It looks to me like Blue Fox uses #4 trebles on #4 Spinners. On their #5's a Treble size #2 or #1 works for me.
Also, if you do order blades from Barlows.com, it seems like they run a little small. Their #5 French blade looks more like Blue Fox's #4 and their #6 is more like Blue Fox"s #5 which is mostly what I use.
From Barlow's website. https://barlowstackle.com/Clevises--P826/
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer
00Swede
00Swede
Chromatose said:
I don't have a problem though, I could stop anytime I wanted to. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Chromatose
J
J The Slayer
00Swede said:
I try to match whatever size that is on Blue Fox. Hooks are a place I don't scrimp on. Gotta be good. Gamakatsu or Owners, preferably in X-strong or 2X. It looks to me like Blue Fox uses #4 trebles on #4 Spinners. On their #5's a Treble size #2 or #1 works for me.
Also, if you do order blades from Barlows.com, it seems like they run a little small. Their #5 French blade looks more like Blue Fox's #4 and their #6 is more like Blue Fox"s #5 which is mostly what I use.
From Barlow's website. https://barlowstackle.com/Clevises--P826/

Do you know what split rings (manufacturer and size) are good for salmon fishing? I would prefer a split ring on the lure for changing out hooks when needed.
 
Casting Call
Casting Call
Slayer your request was DIY about foxes. Your best bet is U-tube for tutorials. I think the best you will get on this forum is references. GL Tony
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer
J
J The Slayer
Casting Call said:
Slayer your request was DIY about foxes. Your best bet is U-tube for tutorials. I think the best you will get on this forum is references. GL Tony

I'm willing to go off topic and get all the information about making various types of spinners
 
Casting Call
Casting Call
Oh! I read you to say "blue fox" sorry. Tony
 
00Swede
00Swede
J The Slayer said:
Do you know what split rings (manufacturer and size) are good for salmon fishing? I would prefer a split ring on the lure for changing out hooks when needed.
I don't have to buy a lot of split rings, only use them on Wiggle Wart type plugs, and the stuff that is hanging on those is pretty good. Some of the stuff I see hanging on the shelf is light wire garbage.
When I do buy some, it is always the oval type. Even Eagle Claws oval split rings are pretty good in the size 3 or 4 but I would never buy their round ones.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer
freednog
freednog
Chromatose said:
You will need ... Treble hooks

I'd suggest just going with Siwash to start with. Think of the natives.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SciFly, J The Slayer and Casting Call
Chromatose
Chromatose
Although I do very much think about Natives, the topic was Blue Fox spinners. AIRgooooooo my Treble hooks comment. Siwash Hooks are on most of my hand made spinners. Store bought? Not to much.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J The Slayer, 00Swede and Casting Call

Similar Threads

Top Bottom