Declining trout: an Oregonian article

K
Kais
If climate change is the direct result of those losses, then i belive it, but i think too many people are in motion to try to reverse habitat loss for trout.

Reactions: halibuthitman
A
AtmosphericWrath
I read the article. I think its nonsense.... Climate change, flooding, whatever. Only thing I'd be concerned with are other invasive species of fish(Bass, Perch, whatever) competing with food sources if not eating small trout themselves.

troutdude
troutdude
That article is based upon an assumption, that their predicted climate changes would/will actually happen. We have seen a VERY different year, versus last year. But, this year has been unusually wet and cool. So, I don't see how that would have an adverse affect to fish populations. Dryer decades yet; but wetter ones no.

B
bigcat1967
I read the article. I think its nonsense.... Climate change, flooding, whatever. Only thing I'd be concerned with are other invasive species of fish(Bass, Perch, whatever) competing with food sources if not eating small trout themselves.

I'm with ya as well.

A
AtmosphericWrath
This "Climate Change" stuff is just crap and the fact that a lot of people and the media tries to blame it on what seems like everything that they think is going wrong is just inaccurate and as troutdude mentions, based on assumptions and I'll add crack-pot theories. I'm sure they are also the same people tooting the Global Warming catastrophe horn too, which is also nonsense and continues to be disproved. Granted mankind needs to keep our forests, rivers, our lakes and streams clean, but really it's corporations and industries that need to get its acts together, not us "little" people if you know what I mean.

Reactions: OnTheFly
S
sportsmanlio
I don't know if climate change is an issue here, but Al Gore may disagree. Personally, I think it will be habitat loss due to expanding populations, pollution, and competition with non-native fish. Brook trout and rainbows out compete the native cutts and bull trout to the point where these native species have gone extinct across much of their range.

I worry that unless the wildlife managers become proactive to establish pure populations of cutts and bulls, they may go the way of the Eastern Red Wolf--completely hybridized with a similar species to the point that it no longer exists in its genetically unique form.

Reactions: halibuthitman
K
ketts05
Why? Why does it have to be "nonsense"? Why does everyone want to jump on one fence or the other and ***** about how "wrong" everyone who disagrees is? Is it so hard as anglers to admit that there are problems (I mean compare your own recent catch(es) to the pictures from the turn of the last century) and admit that its not up to corporations, government or everyone else who uses the water and accept some personal responsibility to be better, admitting that we aren't all perfect?

T
Thuggin4Life
In 500 milion years the sun will be bigger and earth will be like a dessert and humanity life on the planet will be totally different. But im not worried about it right now. I doubt that a small change in temperature drastically changes everything. but over time theses small spikes could but gonna be more than 70 years. unless the population grows and then we just destroy the land and the resources. then it could happen whenever we want it to. Besides the world ends next year anyways. lol

H
halibuthitman
the only proven fact to the loss of any stream or river life, trout, salmon, steelhead is loss of habitat and warm water due to the loss of vegitation caused by logging and other forms of human expansion into watersheds causing deforestation and silting, stream temps are too high due to the loss of canopy and streamside vegitation causing suffication or the fish not getting water temps that promote growth and spawning. As for global warming, in 24 years of fishing in Alaska in recent years ( the last decade ) i have watched salmon runs return 1, then 2 and now up to 3 weeks late, some of us have come to the conclusion that these fish are actually not late at all, run timing has changed... and something has caused that:think:

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Planetary pole shifting could be the reason the runs come in later and later. If the fish DO find their way home by some built in compass, it makes topical sense. If that's the true deep down reason, who knows at this point. Climate change/global warming is bunk - humans (at least some of us) are so egotistical as to think that in all of history, including before when we were here, that we could have some sort of catastrophic impact on the planet's cycles is laughable. There were ice ages and warm ages long before, and there will be long after man kind has blinked out into nothingness. It will continue that way until the sun goes nova and burns the Earth into vapor with her fusion flames.

Sure, we can cause some nasty temporary (talking geological time here) effects - nuclear winter comes to mind. But to think that an infinitesimal increase in the carbon content of the atmosphere will cause the ice caps to melt, the seas to rise, and the plains to turn into a dust bowl is silly. last time I checked, carbon dioxide was the compound that photosynthetic plants consume and turn into breathable oxygen. That doesn't sound like a problem to me. I'm sure the plants are enjoying it also.

We're simply in the middle of one of the natural cycles - whether it be a cooling cycle or a warming cycle - it's a natural thing.

And here's a thought - maybe, just maybe, mother nature DOES want to destroy us. Maybe she doesn't like us mucking about her planet, over-harvesting fish, trashing her streams, dumping garbage into her oceans, and generally making a mess. MAYBE she wants to kill us off and make room for the next best thing. Sentient cock roaches? Talking rabbits? Or maybe the dolphins will be the "top" of the food chain in the next cycle.

If we manage to survive the next few hundred years, or the next thousand, without going completely insane as a species, our decedents will look back upon us and laugh at our silly notions and wonder how we could've been so full of ourselves. Or maybe they'll spit our names, for creating mountains of garbage, and sludging up the rivers, or damming them up and sucking down the free flowing waters just to feed our greed for expanding into areas we never were meant to expand into (like, oh, I dunno, the desert) in great numbers.

We can change a lot of things on a planetary scale, but the weather isn't one of them.

C
Coastaldweller
OMG The end of the world is near!!! We are all going to die....again... for the 3rd time since 1900...... Dont mind my sarcasm :)