Dang dog!!!

E
eleazar87
Went out last weekend for a couple hours with no luck, but for some reason my 2year old dog did better then i did and found left overs while i was fishing. Now he is sick as a dog :naughty: two day of not eating but finally took him to the vet and on meds. No more fishing for him.

T
todd_brooks
My dog has had Salmon poisoning to, almost killed him. From what I understand once they have it they develop an immunity so their save after that. It do remember differing info on it though, were there are two strains of flukes that cause it. So theres a possibility of a second case if they were to be exposed to a different strain. My dog loves to fish so he still gets to go, I just know what to watch for now.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
after they 'flush' out, we usually start with some rice and no-salt green beans, then move back to normal food....hope your dog recovers quickly...

a few years ago, my big lab Gus was nosing around under a picnic table at a Lake Tahoe campground and before I could get there, he chomped down some sort of green hot dog shaped thing...about 6 hours later, coming downhill into Ashland, the overheated truck brake smell seemed strange, then we turned around :shock: the smell was coming from the backseat...:(

T
todd_brooks
Just to be sure no one reads that the wrong way, there is no substitute for taking your dog to the vet for meds if they get Salmon Poisoning. If I remember right 95% of K9's will die with out treatment.
But ya boiled chicken an rice are great for a sour stomach.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
todd_brooks said:
Just to be sure no one reads that the wrong way, there is no substitute for taking your dog to the vet for meds if they get Salmon Poisoning. If I remember right 95% of K9's will die with out treatment.
But ya boiled chicken an rice are great for a sour stomach.

right, I was just thinking of normal stomach issues/squirts...., not specifically salmon poisoning or other serious problems...my bad for generallizing comment.

Last edited:
E
eleazar87
Ima look into it, to see if once they get it there immune to it. But its gonna be a while until i take him back. This was his second accident that has happened to him on the water. But the boiled chicken and rice is a good advice.

T
todd_brooks
T
Thuggin4Life
Least you caught it. some people don't. i was waiting for my dog to get sick and got her in to vet at the first signs. vet said most dogs are far worse when they make it into the office. i take my dog fishing any chance i can. and she left me know about it when i dont.

J
JeannaJigs
I watch my dog for a week after every trip. Last may I took her springer fishing in the boat and it was a successful day of fishing. I'm always very careful to bleed my fish outside the boat and put them on a rope. Well my lab got bored while I was loading up the boat and licked the rope that had had a couple salmon on it. Four days later she had discharge from her eyes and was lazier than usual. I attributed it to allergies as pollen counts were ridiculous and dogs do get allergies. Day four she wouldn't eat, and threw up a little. Day five she had yellow diarrhea and I knew immediately it was salmon poisoning. Being goo friends with my vet I got off without expensive testing and just got billed for the fluids and antibiotics. Salmon poisoning if caught too late is fatal so just know your dog, and pay attention. My lab has been a fixture in my drift boat since she was 6 weeks old and I don't intend on changing that, I just know what to watch for. The chances of contracting it again are low but it's still possible, so don't think well my dog had it so she's immune. Just be attentive. I think it would be cruelty to leave my dog at home she loves the boat so much.

O
OnTheFly
Jeanna, the article said the parasite lives in fish found in rivers not lakes. Therefore, if Ava ate the fish guts accidentally placed in her dry food bag by Dave that time at Trillium, she would have been fine. Don't you feel better now?

J
JeannaJigs
Lol this is true, I still gotta give Dave **** about it though lol

O
OnTheFly
JeannaJigs said:
Lol this is true, I still gotta give Dave **** about it though lol
Yeah, no ****! Let's not tell him.

T
tomriker
all this talk of fish and dogs made me think of this picture... it's the closest my dog has every come to a fish... but it's a lake fish so i guess it doesn't matter... don't mind my wifes expression... this was shortly after we started dating and she was just a city girl from portland.. i broke her of that quick! she'd be less than impressed i posted this too lol

ashleyfishslap_zps2e486af2.jpg

J
JeannaJigs
i would murder you for that one LOL

this is the only time my dog "showed interest" in a fish (6 weeks old) and this photo was totally staged lol she could care less about fish, just likes the drift boat.

7f09f293.jpg

T
Thuggin4Life
Man thats one ****ed up photo of your wife homie