Dairy Creek

C
chris61182
So on my quest to find interesting fishing holes nearby I figured I'd venture over to Dairy Creek Park on Dairy Creek and try my luck. Dairy Creek is considered to be one of the Tualatin's two major tributaries, the other being Gales Creek. Speaking of Gales creek, I will need to check it out again before the end of trout season next month.

Unfortunately for Dairy Creek, I have to report that it did not seem to be healthy and thriving, unlike nearby Rock Creek. The only signs of fish I saw were some dead carp someone left on the shore, which was a little disheartening as that means it's probably being fished with bait. But yes, no fish, no frogs, no water birds, lots of beer cans, lots motor oil bottles, and only lord knows what else.

Oh and watch out for the black berry bushes, they can leave some nasty wounds!

Troutski
Troutski
Ouch...

Ouch...

chris61182 said:
So on my quest to find interesting fishing holes nearby I figured I'd venture over to Dairy Creek Park on Dairy Creek and try my luck. Dairy Creek is considered to be one of the Tualatin's two major tributaries, the other being Gales Creek. Speaking of Gales creek, I will need to check it out again before the end of trout season next month.

Unfortunately for Dairy Creek, I have to report that it did not seem to be healthy and thriving, unlike nearby Rock Creek. The only signs of fish I saw were some dead carp someone left on the shore, which was a little disheartening as that means it's probably being fished with bait. But yes, no fish, no frogs, no water birds, lots of beer cans, lots motor oil bottles, and only lord knows what else.

Geez that looks nasty...with all the stuff you said was in the water I would have a Doctors appt.

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
Eek, those poor fishies look scary... :(
How come its always you that gets injured by something thorny... like in your hagg lake post, you said watch out for the fences in the dark, they bite. :lol::lol:

C
chris61182
Tripping over the cable in the dark was in large part just dumb clumsiness. While I usually get scrapped up by berry bushes just due to the fact I try to get places others haven't. This particular time I slid down the river bank and apparently ran my arm straight down a black berry vine. It wasn't too bad once I got the thorns out.

F
fishudedmeet
ive heard horror stories of people being hospitalized because of wading in the sludge infested columbia sloo

C
chris61182
fishudedmeet said:
ive heard horror stories of people being hospitalized because of wading in the sludge infested columbia sloo

Well 24hrs later and so far it seems a little soap and water on the wounds has done the trick. But yeah you never can tell what nasties are in/around some of these urban streams.

Troutski
Troutski
Creek fishing...

Creek fishing...

chris61182 said:
Well 24hrs later and so far it seems a little soap and water on the wounds has done the trick. But yeah you never can tell what nasties are in/around some of these urban streams.

I can understand exactly where your coming from...I fish creeks; for two reasons. First and foremost the fishing pressure is almost nil; second, its been my experience that the further away from the road you get the better your chances of a successful trip also I don't like heavy water. I have wormed my way through stuff that any normal person would never tread, but I also have found some of the most beautiful and pristine places in this state...and not one sign of bait tubs or old fishing line...not to mention some of the largest Cutthroat Trout and Steelhead in my little corner of the fishing world. I invested in a pair of Corkers early on and have never regretted it, nothing worst than loosing your footing while fighting the fish of a lifetime. We should get together some time and exchange stories and compare scars ;). Tight lines.

Chuck

F
FishSchooler
No pain , no gain... :lol: Well, Im goin to cook park on wednesday at around 4 o clock next week. See ya on the water!
Oh yeah, in the afternoon

C
chris61182
Troutski said:
We should get together some time and exchange stories and compare scars ;). Tight lines.

Chuck

I think that'd be fun, if nothing else I was planning on trying to attend next year's Green Peter Kokanee derby. That way I can hopefully meet more members.

Troutski
Troutski
Looking forward to it...

Looking forward to it...

chris61182 said:
I think that'd be fun, if nothing else I was planning on trying to attend next year's Green Peter Kokanee derby. That way I can hopefully meet more members.

Great, that was a wonderful day; mark it on your calendar. By then we will have a few more scars to compare...

Chuck

G
gangavan
chris61182 said:

The best tributary of the tualatin for fishing is the scoggins creek by far. I catch fish every time I go, the biggest one being a 20 inch cutthroat a couple years ago.

F
FishSchooler
Scoggins?! Thats a creek at hagg lake...

G
gangavan
The average fish I get is about 8-12 inches, but there are times when I will get 4 or 5 cutthroats being 15-18 inches all in one visit and at only couple a different spots.

G
gangavan
FishSchooler said:
Scoggins?! Thats a creek at hagg lake...

It also the one that comes out of the lake.

G
gangavan
I fish the south side of it from HWY 47 up stream to almost behind stimson lumber mill, and it is all private property owed by my family. You can google it since you seemed so surprised.

C
chris61182
gangavan said:
I fish the south side of it from HWY 47 up stream to almost behind stimson lumber mill, and it is all private property owed by my family. You can google it since you seemed so surprised.

That sounds awesome, and I'm not surprised in the least that there are some real nice fish up there, like you say it's all private.