Cut,cut, cut.

U
Upnorth
It seem there going to be a cut in the fall season For the central coast. They have exceeded there return rates for the last several years on these rivers, but are still cutting the season. Not good.

• 3512EF4B-C761-46D1-ACB4-45455EFFCA2A.jpeg
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Upnorth said:
It seem there going to be a cut in the fall season For the central coast. They have exceeded there return rates for the last several years on these rivers, but are still cutting the season. Not good.
or good, depending on how you look at it. I also think you are looking at different data than I am seeing.

For years, I have argued that 1/day-5/year should be the wild chinook limit on all coastal rivers for all normal years, with the coast split per the regs.- you could tag 5 in the Northwest zone and also 5 in the Southwest zone. That standard 1/5 limit should only be increased or decreased for rivers expecting either very strong or very weak runs.

Reactions: scched, O. mykiss, Casting Call and 1 other person
Crayfishy
Crayfishy
I'm just glad they are trying to make sure the species doesn't go extinct, better than some of the other states and their government.

U
Upnorth
It is sad that folks believe, that cutting the limit, on the sport fisherman will save the species. The sports anglers, creel count, has the least effect on the fish returns Population, of the 7 effects listed by ODFW.

Reactions: Fishonshawn84
F
Fishonshawn84
As much as it sucks, if they want to change the bag limit for the season to 5, fine, but why the change to 1 a day. Not everyone lives on the coast and it sucks to make a trip for the chance at 1 fish only then pack it in and go home... honestly I'd rather make 2 trips and tag my 2 each day for a total of 4 and not even make a trip for that 5th fish.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Fishonshawn84 said:
As much as it sucks, if they want to change the bag limit for the season to 5, fine, but why the change to 1 a day. Not everyone lives on the coast and it sucks to make a trip for the chance at 1 fish only then pack it in and go home... honestly I'd rather make 2 trips and tag my 2 each day for a total of 4 and not even make a trip for that 5th fish.

I think you have hit on perhaps the reason for the 1/day vs 2/day limit. I think the goal is to shift fishing pressure from rivers expecting weak returns to rivers expecting better returns. For example, someone in Eugene looking to catch 5 chinook, if the fall regs allow 1/day on the Siuslaw or 2/day on the Umpqua, they will decide which river to fish. Same for guide boats, they will make a decision on the best river to fish based on attracting customers and $$$/seat. The goal is to have less fish caught on the 1/day rivers, more on the 2/day.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Fishonshawn84 said:
Us locals will be glad that those from elsewhere will stay away!

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
GaryP1958 said:
Us locals will be glad that those from elsewhere will stay away!
10 years ago I could launch 5 min from my house and run down to the CG Station and then run up to the Barge Hole and Cushman to the Dairy Hole and only see 15 boats. Last 5 years probably 500 boats and the guides have 15 boats running up and down Cushman with 24 ft boats clogging the whole place up and giving the stink eye while they turn that big boat with 8 people on it acting like they own the river!