Curious

C
crazyhorse613
I recieved one from i guy i helped out, Its from what i can find a pretty cheap setup but being unemplyed im not really complaining. The rod says r2f on it which im assuming is Ready 2 Fish. I was trying to set it up and used or should say tried using some nots i found online. needless to say they look really bad and slightly bulky, but pullying on them they feel snug and still slide through the eyelets on the rod. im going to go to common wealth tomorrow afternoon to ive it a go and just mess around with it. Im sure it will be interesting messing around so im gonna bring my bass rod as well.

F
flytrekker1007
nice. videos are the 2nd to best way to learn a knot

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
flytrekker1007 said:
Gungasuncle. I noticed you said the wolly bugger was one of the three flies to have in your case. But you also threw in the other two that are really a completely different fly. wolly buggers are good for lake fishing, but in my opinion they would be the last fly I would want to have in my box. A prince nymph would be a good addition to those other two flies.

Buggers catch fish in all types of water, streams or lakes. My largest river trouts fell to a #8 olive bead head woolly bugger. I'll take a woolly over a prince any day. Then again, I like the old school Zug Bug more than the prince usually also. :) To each his own.

Y
Yohan
flytrekker1007 said:
so what i do is a nail knot to tie my leader to the line. then my leader to tippet is a blood knot, and then you use an improved clinch knot to tie the fly on. You can youtube these knots and there are a bunch of other knots you can use as well. Congrats on becoming new to fly fishing, you will have a great time. It's the only way to fish! Do you have a rod and reel? If not whats your budget?

Good info, but could I offer a suggestion? I would recommend buying line with a loop on it or creating a loop by bending the line over and nail knotting it to itself (or weld it) so that you can attach your line and leader with a loop-to-loop connection. If you nail knot your line and leader, pretty soon you're going to have a shorter line which may cause some issues (like having to buy another line because you no longer have a taper, etc). If your leaders do not have loops I would recommend using a perfection loop. Also, I would use an albright knot to attach the backing to the line. I use the improved clinch knot for tying on a lot of my flies as well, but start practicing the loop knot and use it when tying on streamers or drys and watch you hook-up rates increase.

Y
Yohan
GungasUncle said:
Buggers catch fish in all types of water, streams or lakes. My largest river trouts fell to a #8 olive bead head woolly bugger. I'll take a woolly over a prince any day. Then again, I like the old school Zug Bug more than the prince usually also. :) To each his own.

I agree 100%. I have caught huge fish with a WB and other (better) streamers in moving water. WB are more versatile IMO, so I would go with them over a prince if I had to choose, but I really do like prince's as well, so I'd rather not choose and just carry both, haha.

I would also like to add my $0.02... red (and sometimes pink) san juan's work EVERYWHERE and if you don't believe me, try it! I drop or follow a san juan with the majority of flies that I tie on. I love them... because they catch fish!

B
bernduffy
I'm also a perspiring..er, I mean aspiring fly fisher so this thread is great. I've also been to River City and appreciate the relaxed friendly atmosphere. One of the pros there, Tim, put me onto a rabbit hair lure that caught a nice bass on the second cast. I watched a guy at Hagg lake pull 5 trout in 10 casts with an olive wooly bugger!
Thanks for the good advice.

F
flytrekker1007
Bernduffy ya WB's are great lake flies. Yohan I forgot to mention I have a loop to loop on my rod and it works amazing. I never did it like that before but the fly shop put some line on my new reel and the loop to loop that they put on is still in use. The san juan worm works everywhere! I used it in Montana on the Ruby and Madison when the fish weren't biting, and I started hookin fish.

Y
Yohan
flytrekker1007 said:
Bernduffy ya WB's are great lake flies. Yohan I forgot to mention I have a loop to loop on my rod and it works amazing. I never did it like that before but the fly shop put some line on my new reel and the loop to loop that they put on is still in use. The san juan worm works everywhere! I used it in Montana on the Ruby and Madison when the fish weren't biting, and I started hookin fish.

I hear ya... it should be renamed the Madison Worm because it always works on that river. My favorite setup for fishing the Madison (when the fishing is slow) is nymphing a girdle bug followed by a san juan.

F
flytrekker1007
nice. I used a prince with a san juan. Or a stone nymph with a san juan.

B
bernduffy
How do you rig that?

F
flytrekker1007
so tie your main fly onto your leader, and then the dropper fly onto like 18" of tippet and tie that tippet to the hook, just above the barb on the bend. There are many ways to tie on your dropper, but this is how i do it.

L
lilsalmon
brandon4455 said:
instructors are a waste of money i think. i just tagged along with bigsteel and asked a lot of questions and i picked up on it pretty fast.

I, also, learned from bigsteel after a lot of coaxing on his part for me to try it. I was intimidated by the whole casting and wondering if my eyes would be ripped out....hehe. There is so much info about fly fishing that it gets overwhelming. I have a 6 wt rod and reel that I got at the expo from River City Fly Shop and paid $80 for rod reel and line. Some would think it cheap but I have caught a lot of fish, including steel on it. I have an 8 wt and now a 4 wt I havent tried yet (tried nymphing with it but it is really "whippy" so I think it will be perfect for dry fly, which I prefer anyway). What I am saying is that you don't have to spend a lot....I don't go fly fishing to show off what I have....I go out to catch fish and be on the water......don't need an expensive setup to do that.... I have a problem with distance and mending....distance, I have found, isn't always necessary. The majority of fish are almost at your feet. Mending.....that was the frustrating part for me...but this weekend we were on the Deschutes with a guide and he showed me how to do it and I think with more practice I got it down now...yay!!!! When I first started bigsteel sent me these videos.....they are pretty good, you might want to check them out.

Also, we have our get together coming up in June.....hope to see you all there!!!

K, I am done...hehe

YouTube - Fly Fishing For Trout - (1 of 6)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ksa8...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_C1E...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbUFU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WZbM...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plfVb...eature=related

F
flytrekker1007
So when exactly were you on the D? Was the salmon fly hatch starting? Whats the guides name? I know a guy name Todd who guides on the deschutes.

V
Van
brandon4455 said:
instructors are a waste of money i think. i just tagged along with bigsteel and asked a lot of questions and i picked up on it pretty fast.

Everyone has opinions.

L
lilsalmon
We were on the Deschutes Saturday through Monday. I held a salmonfly in my hand that our guide, Rodger, put there. It was cool but the hatch isn't going on yet.