Curing eggs

M
mccarrel
Strangely enough I've never caught a hen before, now that I have some good eggs I was wondering whats the best way to cure them.

J
JeannaJigs
If you've never done it before, buy a premixed cure from bimart or wherever you buy your gear. They have simple directions for your basic egg preservation. You can get a borax cure (procure has borax cures)for steelhead or something else loaded with yummy chemicals for salmon. A good basic cure i used to have success with is fire cure (for salmon). Haven't used it in a while but it used to be good. or you can just go to steelhead university and I think they have some basic do it yourself cures.

Reactions: mccarrel
H
Herefishyfishy
Fire cure works great and its easy!

B
BlackBass
Fishing them for steelhead I would use 3 cups borax 2 cups sugar 1 cup salt. Sprinkle over pre cut baits and adding a drop of scent to each bait up. If you want a bit of color use a very small amount pautzke fire cure, I prefer them natural. For salmon you can't beat Pautzke borax of fire cure.

N
n8r1
Do it soon, like today if possible. Don't let eggs sit around long. Ideally you have cure ready to go when you get back from a trip and do it right when you walk in the door.

R
RunWithSasquatch
Cannot beat a borax/ 3-2-1 style cure for steelhead.

M
mccarrel
Couldn't get to the store after school/work, hopefully they won't be spoiled by tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice.

N
nativefish
Watch the video on steelhead stalkers, adding the borax at the end is optional. I am sugar to my store bought cure along with some other things prior to the milking and reabsorbtion stage. It seems like a lot but i put pretty much as much sugar as cure on the eggs when i start. The sugar makes the eggs more durable and tougher. Always follow the directions, when it says dont put it in the fridge for an hour, dont. then make sure you rotate and wait until all the juices are reasorbed before you pull them out of the fridge. Then i like to let mine air dry until they are the consistance i want to use and put them in jars for storage. Wish someone would have told me this a long time ago. PM me if you have questions.

T
Tred
Double Red hot made by Pro Cure has been working for me the last couple years.

H
hawgcaller
Hate pro cure! such a mess. it does work though. I have been using pautzke brand for the last couple years and it works great. Also much nicer to your counters and hands. lol

P
PNW Sam
At Bi-Mart you can buy a BIG box of pure, fine borax for like $3.50. Or you can buy a tiny little tub with a fishing brand name on it for like 6 bucks...

Just put about a cup of borax and a couple spoonfulls of red jell-o (not sugar free) in a small container, mix the powder together, then cut chunks off the egg skein however big you want them, put them in the mixture and coat them in it, take them out, and put the coated eggs in plastic baggies. My dad throws them in the freezer over night AFTER they have the powder on them, not sure if other people do that too.

In my opinion there is absolutely no need to spend 6-10 bucks on a little tub of cure just because it has a brand name on it. It's usually just borax with a little color and sugar (uhh, jell-o), and some other nasty chemicals. Not only do the prepared cures cost more, but they usually have sodium nitrite and/ or sodium sulfide in them, which is harmful to fish, and your skin.

Just my 2 cents on the topic, but hey, I haven't even caught a steelhead yet.

D
downes157
Hi there just started curing salmon eggs about two weeks ago and have only been using the liquid brine because i dont know what else to do.. I am a rookie at best lol just started really fishing 2 years ago. So any tips, suggestions, help, or anything else would be welcomed with open arms. Just looking for a little guidance... Thanks Andrew

Reactions: OneFishTwoFish
S
Steelheader4Life
It all depends on what you are fishing for. If you are curing your eggs for steelhead I always go with the 3-2-1. 3 parts borax, 2 parts sugar, and 1 part salt and some jello for color. Just butterfly the skein and coat generously. I let mine sit our for about a week or until they become tough enough to last multiple casts. You will just have to play around with how much and how long until you find what you're looking for. For salmon I usually go with store bought cures (Fire or Wizard is my preference). I have been working on a salmon cure but I can't give out that info on a public forum LOL! It takes time and learning experiences just like anything else.

D
downes157
Steelheader4Life said:
It all depends on what you are fishing for. If you are curing your eggs for steelhead I always go with the 3-2-1. 3 parts borax, 2 parts sugar, and 1 part salt and some jello for color. Just butterfly the skein and coat generously. I let mine sit our for about a week or until they become tough enough to last multiple casts. You will just have to play around with how much and how long until you find what you're looking for. For salmon I usually go with store bought cures (Fire or Wizard is my preference). I have been working on a salmon cure but I can't give out that info on a public forum LOL! It takes time and learning experiences just like anything else.

Looking for a cure for salmon. Thinking about trying a fire cure, but I have heard that there are things you can add to the cure/brines for added success. I am just trying this for the first time so anything helps...

B
burlajohnny
J
JeannaJigs
fire cure is a VERY good commercial salmon cure. I always have some on hand and use it as my "base cure" --- I add more sulfite and some other bite stimulators/scents to my cure. I only use dry cures. Sprinkle it on your skeins and toss in a jar. Rotate the jars every 12 hours for 3 days and your eggs are good to go. I also use Amerman's as a base cure for salmon. Steelhead are relatively stupid and aren't the chemical junkies that salmon are, so while you CAN get away with a 3-2-1 for salmon sometimes, it's best left for steelhead. I will say if you use firecure, it is a hot cure, and a little goes a long way. It will burn your eggs if you use too much and you'll be left with a hard chunk of eggs that won't fish as well as a good cured egg that will produce a good milking action. That link provided to the other thread provides good info also.

D
downes157
what sents/stimulators do you use?

what sents/stimulators do you use?

JeannaJigs said:
fire cure is a VERY good commercial salmon cure. I always have some on hand and use it as my "base cure" --- I add more sulfite and some other bite stimulators/scents to my cure. I only use dry cures. Sprinkle it on your skeins and toss in a jar. Rotate the jars every 12 hours for 3 days and your eggs are good to go. I also use Amerman's as a base cure for salmon. Steelhead are relatively stupid and aren't the chemical junkies that salmon are, so while you CAN get away with a 3-2-1 for salmon sometimes, it's best left for steelhead. I will say if you use firecure, it is a hot cure, and a little goes a long way. It will burn your eggs if you use too much and you'll be left with a hard chunk of eggs that won't fish as well as a good cured egg that will produce a good milking action. That link provided to the other thread provides good info also.

Thats the kind of info I am looking for... May I ask what are somethings you use for extra sent/stimulator do you use for salmon? I am a rookie so please feel free to share as much as you are willing to share.. Thank you so much for your time... Andrew

B
burlajohnny
downes157 said:
Thats the kind of info I am looking for... May I ask what are somethings you use for extra sent/stimulator do you use for salmon? I am a rookie so please feel free to share as much as you are willing to share.. Thank you so much for your time... Andrew
Mostly all the info was in the link I posted. I'm a rookie as well

T
troutmasta
downes157 said:
That girl doesn't know what shes talking about!:lol:

Just kidding- I agree with the suflite and bite stimulators-

Sulfites....are like candy to salmon

B
burlajohnny
troutmasta said:
That girl doesn't know what shes talking about!:lol:

Just kidding- I agree with the suflite and bite stimulators-

Sulfites....are like candy to salmon
Lol