Crabbing the Siuslaw Monday...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
boat rebuild done and all systems tested out on Munsel Lake...check
no rain here for days and days and days, river at 5.5' which is more typical in mid-May...check
salmon heads, kokanee heads/guts, tuna scraps, crab/shrimp fuel, and some top secret bait...check
spring tides last week that hopefully pushed some keeper males past A4 bouy...check
mild 6.5' high tide at 3:30pm...check
forecast for sunny 60F and light winds, no bar restrictions today, probably none tomorrow...check

I can't think of a better way to break-in my beautiful new decking than a messy day crabbing the Siuslaw way down near the jaws...I will update tomorrow night what we pull up OFF the bottom....cheers, roger

Last edited:
S
sapo
Awesome, sounds great! I'm anxious to hear how you do.

B
billfisher
Sounds like a great way to break it in,lol. I'm jealous! Good luck out there.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
:worthy:Jealous!! :thumb:

F
flocaster
Curious to see how you do. There are plenty of legal keepers (5 3/4in recreational min. lol) in the ocean right now, wonder how well they push up in.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
flocaster said:
Curious to see how you do. There are plenty of legal keepers (5 3/4in recreational min. lol) in the ocean right now, wonder how well they push up in.

oh yeah, we'll be happy to harvest a dozen (or two) 5 and 3/4 boys if they cooperate...LOL

Y
Yogidabear
just east of the old fish ladder where the divers get in is a place called the crab hole, the river goes from 35 to 55 feet in a straight drop off it's maybe 30 to 40 feet from the jetty probably half way between the fish ladder and finger jetty, it's always loaded with crab because of the drop off and food collects down there like nothing I have ever seen. it's also a diving mecca for clams drop a couple of pots in there along as there are no divers present and you will easily get your limit, I don't dive anymore so I don't mind giving up the secret.

F
fish4life
I hope you do good, a boat I talked to at Tillamook bay did real good Saturday, so maybe will be good there as well.

J
JeannaJigs
Wonder if people are doing any good off that little crab dock on the south side? I have some traps but no boat that will work there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
The crab docks are always slow so the few guys out there always say, little windy this morning should lay down later. Try throwing a slab of mackerel against the breakwater could be some lings! Remember Cabezon is closed till July!

Y
Yogidabear
JeannaJigs said:
Wonder if people are doing any good off that little crab dock on the south side? I have some traps but no boat that will work there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I use to scuba dive that allot and there is not much down there except junk, car batteries tv sets anything people want to dump lots of crab pots. if you want big crab you need to be closer to the ocean and near the jetty rocks about 50 to 75 feet out from the jettys the crab hand out right in the jettys but not so much in the main channel. scuba diving down there shows you where the fish and crab hang out.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Beautiful day and new cleaning station

Beautiful day and new cleaning station

East wind in the morning stronger than expected but shifting to normal NW wind in the afternoon (which means a tailwind heading back to the launch :thumb: ), so we hit the water at 12:30pm.

2 other boats down there, we focused on the deep area by the diving stairs, between A7 and A4. and we got small crab, and more small crab...not even any big females...moved pots around, got a couple across the river where we usually find keepers, small is all. dropped our big 'crab condo' right against the A4 bouy, added our top secret bait, and took a break for some food...checked out other pots and rail dumped, nothing over 5".

back out to pull the 'crab condo' and bingo, a commercial keeper, 6.5", nice firm shell and all his legs/claws. OK, it's just one keeper crab but sure felt good and a perfect dinner with some of the fall chinook fillets that I smoked yesterday...

crab selfie:

this is the new covered/enclosed double sided cleaning station just being completed at the Port launch in Florence, a Florence STEP project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
It looked like a very nice way to spend a Monday afternoon to me. Nice cleaning station provided now. Good job there Rogerdodger!!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
bythesea said:
wow!!!I'm going downtown tomorrow I haven't even seen it yet Looks like we need to throw some fish guts on it,,,

more good news- Port of Siuslaw just got planning approval for a floating restroom (funding grants were already received): it will be a 12x24' barge with safety rails all around and 2 'facilities'. It will sit between 2 pilings just upstream from the launch- OFF of that gap between the trees (folks that fish here in the fall will recognize that location as right about where people turn around to troll back upstream towards the 29 marker)....plan is to have it out in the river from I think June through October...cheers, roger

B
billfisher
Great news, Thanks Roger!

B
bythesea
rogerdodger said:
more good news- Port of Siuslaw just got planning approval for a floating restroom (funding grants were already received): it will be a 12x24' barge with safety rails all around and 2 'facilities'. It will sit between 2 pilings just upstream from the launch- OFF of that gap between the trees (folks that fish here in the fall will recognize that location as right about where people turn around to troll back upstream towards the 29 marker)....plan is to have it out in the river from I think June through October...cheers, roger

CRAZY I can't wait to see how that works out when things get busy......."NO WAKE WHEN IN USE"........I'll hang on to my can for now.

B
billfisher
bythesea said:
CRAZY I can't wait to see how that works out when things get busy......."NO WAKE WHEN IN USE"........I'll hang on to my can for now.

WOW! Maybe they should take out the boat ramps, they just aren't big enough!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I am pleased that it will reduce some of the congestion at the boat launch from boats coming in just to let people use the facilities, I have seen 'water rage' incidents from that...

D
DrTheopolis
Works out just fine on Tillamook Bay. It's on the edge of the Ghost Hole, and if someone were to make a big wake through there, they would likely be pelted with all manner of lead weights, restroom or not.