Coug'd it for a personal best

J
JeannaJigs
I put in a time off request like 10 years ago, to have yesterday off to go fish the Columbia with Andy (I work dedicated weekends, with weekdays off, Andy only has weekends off...yada yada). Needless to say, THAT got axed. We decided dodging root balls and logs the size of blue whales in a 12 foot boat, with virtually zero visibility was not wise...though we have done some crazy trips up there. That said, I was fiending to get out of the house, had the jeep gassed, needed to find a plan B. Well everything else looks like diarrhagia. I decided cougar would probably be the only option, and it turned out that it was the only piece of water up that highway that didn't look like poo. Water looked really good actually, with good visibility. The boat ramp was accessible, and it was an easy launch.

The rain wasn't as bad as we had anticipated, as we prepared for a monsoon...but we didn't prepare for it to snow pretty much all day. Still was an alright day of fishing. We were trolling worms and fenders without much luck so we stopped up an arm and I broke out my ultra ultra-light rod from retirement that was actually my first trout rod, It's only like 5 feet long and is like a toothpick, but I've had a lot of good memories with that little rod and a lot of fish caught over the last 22 or so years. I cast a worm (yeah I was slummin' it chuckin' gear and drowning worms...what what, it was fun) on my first cast I start reeling in and fish on. It feels like a tank, but everything does with this dinky little rod. I finally get a look at it and it was a beast! I kinda panicked at that point because it was then that I realized I have probably 4 pound line, that is 10+ years old on this tiny reel that only holds 60 yards and it's probably all kinds of frayed. (can you tell I don't go troutin' often?) Somehow I got it in without breaking that crappy line and see that it is definitely my PB rainbow. I've caught some searun cutties in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch that are larger, but never a rainbow of such size.

I did keep it, as it was a bleeder, and I was hungry. Trout tastes good, but I don't mess with eating the small ones because the bones just make me angry. I did an autopsy at home because I was curious what such a large fish had been eating. There wasn't much in her stomach, a couple bugs and some snail shells. Turns out she was post spawn, I found a couple eggs in the boat, and there were exactly 3 eggs left inside her, so she was probably a much fatter fish before all the nutrients went to those eggs. Still weighed in at 2 pounds, a nice fish for sure. Unfortunately, it was loaded with parasites. I researched different parasites and with all the ones I saw it was still safe to eat the fish after cleaning and cooking as usual, it's just mentally getting around that. The meat is fine, bright red, but, I think my dad's gonna get a nice trout dinner out of this one lol.

I eventually went back to the trolling and picked up a smaller one, that was literally iridescent purple/blue. It had the same coloring as a kokanee, with very faint spotting. Classic reservoir fish.

Andy picked up one in the same arm as my first larger fish, that was probably about 15 inches or so, a very nice fish. Somehow it wrapped his flasher around a stump, and he still got it in.

I also learned that if you throw something my dog is interested in off a cliff, she WILL jump with reckless abandon after it, no matter what....Won't do that again. (dog is safe/okay despite her lemming move)

I'll post pictures later, I can't post from this computer, have to do it from my evil phone.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
ae7421f6.jpg

The bottom fish is a herring for reference. Andy's is the middle fish.
78714a46.jpg

04c89d9e.jpg

Canadian. Because I suck and am inadequate at worm hunting. These worms sucked...I feel like writing a product review...
0cdb7828.jpg

Not so uh, yum.
e43ee463.jpg

Last edited:
E
eugene1
Nice trout, JJ! Looks really cold though. Were the parasites in the meat or just in the mouth?

Any pics of them?

A
alm21
Nice job on getting into some fish! BTW, I have that same Lamiglass and it works great as a drift rod with braid. Those parasites would get in my head too.

J
JeannaJigs
eugene1 said:
Nice trout, JJ! Looks really cold though. Were the parasites in the meat or just in the mouth?

Any pics of them?

Only in the mouth, didn't see any in the intestines or stomach either. The meat was fine, I filleted it and deboned it and it looks great, but I've seen too much lol

alm21 said:
Nice job on getting into some fish! BTW, I have that same Lamiglass and it works great as a drift rod with braid. Those parasites would get in my head too.

Yeah that's my steelhead drifting rod, my trout rod wasn't beefy enough to troll a fender with, it has the best feel of any of my rods. I've caught a couple chinook and hundreds of coho on it, it's been a stellar rod, though chinook scare me, that thing has been bent completely in half a couple times over the last four years. Cork has started to disintegrate on it though :( its been heavily abused/loved

S
Spydeyrch
Nicely done there!! Very nice PB. :clap:

The parasites are copepods. They are a form of small crustaceans. They typically don't affect the meat in any way. Usually they are attached to the mouth and gills of the affected fish. Sometimes you will find them attached to the eye of the fish. Nothing to worry about. :D

Enjoy the meat! It is making me hungry!! hahahahahaha

-Spydey

P.S. Here is a link of Copepods on wikipedia. You will see a pic of one on a flounder and it is almost exactly the same as the ones you see in your pics. Enjoy!!

J
JeannaJigs
Spydeyrch said:
Nicely done there!! Very nice PB. :clap:

The parasites are copepods. They are a form of small crustaceans. They typically don't affect the meat in any way. Usually they are attached to the mouth and gills of the affected fish. Sometimes you will find them attached to the eye of the fish. Nothing to worry about. :D

Enjoy the meat! It is making me hungry!! hahahahahaha

-Spydey

P.S. Here is a link of Copepods on wikipedia. You will see a pic of one on a flounder and it is almost exactly the same as the ones you see in your pics. Enjoy!!

Thanks! The first thing that they reminded me of was sea lice, which look disgusting, but you never see people grossed out by sea lice lol, in fact we rejoice in the presence of sea lice, go figure. Guess I'll try fry it up and try to not think about it, and eat it. The meat looked really good.

J
JeannaJigs
After reading that article, wanted to say it was a pretty interesting read. Thanks for that info!

B
billfisher
Good going Jeanna and Andy, some great looking fish there!

S
Spydeyrch
JeannaJigs said:
After reading that article, wanted to say it was a pretty interesting read. Thanks for that info!

You are welcome! :) Sea lice is just a type of copepod too. :D

I caught a bass once that was just covered with them. I had never seen them before until then and it REALLY grossed me out!! So I did a little research on it and that was that! :D

Take care.

-Spydey

O
OnTheFly
Nice one Jeanna. Definitely worth the trip.:cool:

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
A PB in the snow with Andy? Sounds like a mahvelous day to me! Way to slay!

R
RunWithSasquatch
Nice fish Jeanna.... will add that I am having a hard time with the bonus parasite critters.

P
plumb2fish
DMF bait co...Dumb Mutha Fishers......at least you got out on the water, i was stuck home....

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
J
JeannaJigs
RunWithSasquatch said:
Nice fish Jeanna.... will add that I am having a hard time with the bonus parasite critters.

Yeah I am too lol. I tried, I cooked it up and was just staring at it. Kept seeing those things in my head, saved it for my dad lol, that man will literally eat anything without hesitation. I fried it up like the salmon nugz and everything

J
JeannaJigs
plumb2fish said:
DMF bait co...Dumb Mutha Fishers......at least you got out on the water, i was stuck home....

Those friggin worms were packed in actual dirt clogs instead of the worm bedding crap, know what happens to dirt clogs with wet hands? Mud. Mud that won't just wipe off on your pants. Mud that requires sticking your hands in 37 degree water on a 34 degree day with wind that made it feel like -50. Yes. -50. Am I a whiner? Most definitely.

The Columbia woulda been so bad lol. Even with the gas split four ways, I think it wouldn't have been remotely worthwhile. You shoulda slummed it and gone trouting lol

J
JeannaJigs
Sinkline said:
Those parasires are quite common. I see them often around the base of fins on trout. Nothing to worry about as far as eating the fish is concerned.

Randy

Its completely a mental thing lol. I've seen them on a lot of mckenzie fish but I normally don't keep trout so it's always been a meh who cares kinda deal

R
RunWithSasquatch
JeannaJigs said:
Yeah I am too lol. I tried, I cooked it up and was just staring at it. Kept seeing those things in my head, saved it for my dad lol, that man will literally eat anything without hesitation. I fried it up like the salmon nugz and everything

I'd probably be able to do parasite-trout nug form.