Coos Bay saltwater rookie seeks bank/dock fishing tips

Martin Heldt

I am so glad to be here! I grew up fishing the Mississippi river in nothern Iowa-Wisconsin but ALL of my life I dreamed of salt water fishing. Well, I've been here 7 months and have my license. I'm too blind to drive but I live close enough to the North Bend dock and the Empire dock: can I catch anything like mackerel or herring here? What about bottom fishing? Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

plumbertom

I'd say Charleston Marina dock perch fishing would probably be your best bet.
Use small hooks (#4), 1/4 oz bottom weight and bait with sand shrimp held on with a little magic thread.
Fish along the dock pilings, trying different spots until you find them.
That may even work at the Empire dock or crabbing pier.
Although I haven't read any perch reports from that spot.
And as long as you're there, you may as well drop a crab ring off the dock.
I do believe you'll do better, fishing at least, at Charleston.
I suggest you stop in at Basin Tackle there at the Charleston marina for better information and help.
You can check them out at Basin Tackle Charleston

troutdude

Welcome to Oregon and to OFF.

Here is a hotlink to a Facebook for Surf Perch fishing. The member there can probably help you figure things out, as far as perch go.

Martin Heldt

Thanks troutdude and plumbertom!

I'll have to pester my wife into driving me down to Charleston. I'm just 6 blocks from the dock in North Bend and I've been getting red Rock crabs pretty regularly but only had one try fishing with a sabiki rig there

Duckcross

Empire is a bit up river to get into the bottom fish and herring you are asking about. I would late in the fall throw 1 oz pink spinners and try for a salmon running up the river.

Top Bottom