Coho in the Tualatin?

D
dangerranger
So I was reading and article in the new issue of Northwest Sportsmans Magazine and they were talking about this "new" run of coho above Willemette Falls. The mentioned the are running up the yamhill and tualatin rivers and I was just curious if any one has ever cought a coho in the Tualatin and if it would even be worth the try. They said in the article that last fall bass fisherman were catching them in the willy on bass gear........

P
PARTYBOY
Wouldn't be surprised, at one time the Tualatin River held the World Record for most variety of fish species in a body of water, think your best bet is to just go throw in a line!

F
fishtales
I do not doubt it. While fishing that stretch of river the other day I saw what looked like a salmon. The red on it was clear as day. I'm not saying for sure it was a salmon but it sure looked like one from where I was sitting.

M
Mike123
From what I seen last year this run of fish are not much for biters.. only heard of three fish caught counting all the rivers above the falls. Someone on this forum got one in one of the rivers above the falls on a spinner.

M
meluvtrout
dangerranger said:
So I was reading and article in the new issue of Northwest Sportsmans Magazine and they were talking about this "new" run of coho above Willemette Falls. The mentioned the are running up the yamhill and tualatin rivers and I was just curious if any one has ever cought a coho in the Tualatin and if it would even be worth the try. They said in the article that last fall bass fisherman were catching them in the willy on bass gear........

Not worth spending your time. Just take the I-205 exit and head to Clackamas or Sandy...

B
beaverfan
If you want to target the Coho that go up the Tualatin your best bet is to hit up Gales Creek, that's where most if not all of them are headed. They are remnants of a hatchery run of Coho they used to have up there. Last year it was open for 3 fish a day clipped or not. ODFW doesn't want them in there since there not native (as shown by the 3 fish a day limit) but personally I don't think it's a bad thing so If I hit Gales Creek this year I'll be releasing them. Ya I've heard of Bass fishers catching them on plugs and such.

G
GreenDrifter
Last year was a bloodbath above the falls drag wiggle warts. Trust me they are biters...

M
Mike123
GreenDrifter said:
Last year was a bloodbath above the falls drag wiggle warts. Trust me they are biters...

Your the first person I've heard say that.. gives me the itch. lol.

D
dangerranger
Me too! I figured it couldnt be pointless to try if they had a whole article in the magazine about it... shoot id rather drive 10 min away and get skunked then drive an hour away and get skunked lol. Ive had this black cloud of bad fishing luck following me around.

C
CFishRun
Personally i fished the mouth in a boat and saw numerous fish caught. Trolling orange plugs like a hotshot or hot n' tot. This old guy routinely caught fish but we copied him to a T' and never got a bite. A guy from work whose boat I was in fished it 6 times or more and never got a bump, but there were tons of em down there. If the coho aint bitin go after smallmouths or sturgeon. "Did he just say sturgeon." Yes, I boated three 33" last year below the tualatin in about a three hour trip. That's right, below the tualatin.

B
beaverfan
CFishRun said:
Personally i fished the mouth in a boat and saw numerous fish caught. Trolling orange plugs like a hotshot or hot n' tot. This old guy routinely caught fish but we copied him to a T' and never got a bite. A guy from work whose boat I was in fished it 6 times or more and never got a bump, but there were tons of em down there. If the coho aint bitin go after smallmouths or sturgeon. "Did he just say sturgeon." Yes, I boated three 33" last year below the tualatin in about a three hour trip. That's right, below the tualatin.

You mean on the Willamette below the Tualatin? There are tons of Sturgeon above the falls on the Willamette. There are even some in the Tualatin in the some of the deeper pools.

C
civicfun
ya last yr there was some divers at lee falls in cherry grove out side of forest grove they said that there was so many fish up there that they could not dive for what they wanted so they do run up really far on the tualatin. lee falls is like the end spot where they stack up

C
CFishRun
beaverfan said:
You mean on the Willamette below the Tualatin? There are tons of Sturgeon above the falls on the Willamette. There are even some in the Tualatin in the some of the deeper pools.

Yeah, the willy below tualatin. The go-to-bait was a pickled herring and a couple of crawlers for added tantilization. I won't fish those upper willy coho this year I'm going to post up on the sandy and hopefully find CChinook again because I like his fishing tales and he has great advice. Oxbow or bust for me, with a little Eagle Creek carnage to boot. That is if I can find a decent run, so far that fishery has me stumped. I'd like to fish the Wilson a little too but have never wet a line there. Beaverfan I've seen your posts on that river can you shoot me a PM regarding the go-to oasis of Coho on that river I'd like to join you out there to share lies and a few timely bites? The Fall run is upon us and the blue backs of the Salmon River are beckoning, see you all on the river. I'll be the guy grinning ear to ear.

Jeff