Coastal hunting

P
pdxned_hunt_jiujitsu
Hey everyone, I am new to hunting in Oregon and wanted to ask if anyone has any input on hunting the Chetco area. I would love to hear any input about it. Thanks so much.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to the forum. Haven't seen very many hunting threads, for quite some time. Hopefully someone here, can help.

C
colt
My wife is from brookings. She has told me that people have gotten lost very easily because everything looks the same. All i can tell you is pack a gps unit and be safe. Other than that, i dont know much about how hunting is over there.

H
Hookset
I do not know much about that area but I do use the onX hunt app for your phone instead of purchasing a GPS. Down load the maps and use just like a GPS. Works great.

GaryP1958
GaryP1958
That area should get good in the next few years with all the fire that went through there!

C
colt
Hookset;n610306 said:
I do not know much about that area but I do use the onX hunt app for your phone instead of purchasing a GPS. Down load the maps and use just like a GPS. Works great.

As awesome as that is, i cannot use that app where i usually hunt. There isn't any cellular service and it doesn't work unless there is service. At least for what i have went through. Thats why i use, or prefer, a gps unit that works with satellites. I wouldnt want to get into a dead zone and not be able to use it when i need it.

Thought it would be good to point that out should someone be on the fence about that.

H
Hookset
Colt if you download the maps to your phone and turn on the GPS in your phone it works without having cell service. You would need to download the maps before going to the dead zone.

C
colt
My dad and i had no luck with making it work. Maybe certain phones? I already obtained a gps unit so i am not too worried at this point. If it works for some people, then awesome. Kind of a bummer but i think i would rather use separate devices. That way my phone stays charged for when i need it.

Thanks for the tip. If anyone asks, i got an answer for them.

SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Welcome to the coast. Be ready to get wet lol. Buy quality, lightweight raingear (I wear Kuiu/Sitka) but does not have to be super high dollar. Comfortable, waterproof hiking boots, lightweight to mid weight socks. It doesn't get all that cold on the coast IMO so you won't need Super thick socks especially if you're hiking a lot. The most important piece of equipment for coastal hunting, besides your weapon, is optics. Do NOT skimp out on optics, buy the best and most clear binos and scope you can afford. There's tons more advice I'm willing to give you. Shoot me a PM if interested