Coastal cutthroat fishing

PhoFish
PhoFish
Hey OFF, I would like to get out to the coast tomorrow and throw some spinners for some cutthroats... or really anything that I can eat. Are there areas of the Wilson that OFFer longer bank areas to walk? I have been to Jones and a couple of spots down from there, but have not had luck finding anything else.

I am also going to make the loop to Nestucca and try there if I get skunked on the Wilson again... and again, I have read quite a few posts and am wondering the same thing about longer bank areas to walk.

I only have river shoes - yes, I need a boat of some sort :)

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Last edited:
Solution
brandon4455
Hi mike, though I don’t do it hardly anymore (I primarily fish lakes ) I spent my childhood and a lot of my teenage years in coastal cutthroat.

Two things to consider in August:
most rivers with sea runs and lots of them, the fish will be mostly found in tidewater reaches and lower down on the river, which mostly have the lowest amount of access for bank anglers out of any stretch of river.
Places like the nestucca (as you saw me post on another thread) have Some pods of sea runs way upriver this early, but less likely to find them, and they are spooky/difficult to catch. You will encounter lots of smaller and the occasional larger resident fish that are eager to eat spinners,spoons, and flies.
There are a couple options for the...
brandon4455
brandon4455
Hi mike, though I don’t do it hardly anymore (I primarily fish lakes ) I spent my childhood and a lot of my teenage years in coastal cutthroat.

Two things to consider in August:
most rivers with sea runs and lots of them, the fish will be mostly found in tidewater reaches and lower down on the river, which mostly have the lowest amount of access for bank anglers out of any stretch of river.
Places like the nestucca (as you saw me post on another thread) have Some pods of sea runs way upriver this early, but less likely to find them, and they are spooky/difficult to catch. You will encounter lots of smaller and the occasional larger resident fish that are eager to eat spinners,spoons, and flies.
There are a couple options for the bank angler fishing coastal streams

A: fish the upper portions of the rivers further into the coast range, where a road follows the stream and provides pullout,bridge,campground fishing access.(like my nestucca post on previous thread) also a lot more shade in these places when it’s hot out. Almost all medium/ large coastal rivers have at least a few miles of upper river access via a road that runs parallel. Some of them have a dozen or more miles of access.

B: find boat launches, county parks, and other common salmon angler access in tidewater. These areas won’t be crowded with salmon anglers yet, but they will be full of sea run cutthroats. High tide is the best when cold clean water is flushed in and the “plug” of dirty and debris filled water is pushed up. Which makes it easier for casting lures and flies. You can also look at salmon fishing posts on this forum (search button is key) to find where people commonly bank fish for tidewater salmon, that is where you’ll get cutthroats. There is a lot of information on here that will help you find exactly what you’re looking for.

I have fished virtually every coastal stream that is open for trout between Newport and nehalem and they all have fish in them, some more than others but cutthroat inhabit them all.

with all of this in mind, the larger streams typically have the most Bank access down low in tidewater and estuary areas where these fish are mostly at right now.
Google earth is your friend, access sticks out like a sore thumb, be it a boat launch area, state park, by a bridge,etc.

Good luck out there!

Reactions: PhoFish
Solution
brandon4455
brandon4455
I also forgot to mention of all else fails, go fish off the jetty in tillamook with some Berkley sand worms or live sand shrimp under a bobber. IMO if you want good eating fish. Striped surf perch are delicious if the trout don’t cooperate 😋

PhoFish
PhoFish
sorry for this question, but... what is the tidewater reaches? I have seen in the fishing regulations guide that there are bait restrictions when fishing above or below tidewater.. I guess I am not understanding where that is and how to determine it.

PhoFish
PhoFish
brandon4455 said:
I also forgot to mention of all else fails, go fish off the jetty in tillamook with some Berkley sand worms or live sand shrimp under a bobber. IMO if you want good eating fish. Striped surf perch are delicious if the trout don’t c
Oh wow, I would love to do that too. That is the Barview Jetty? I have never fished on the ocean.. maybe tomorrow will be a lot of firsts for me. - Also .. WOW i never tried satellite for google maps.. thanks!

brandon4455
brandon4455
PhoFish said:
Oh wow, I would love to do that too. That is the Barview Jetty? I have never fished on the ocean.. maybe tomorrow will be a lot of firsts for me. - Also .. WOW i never tried satellite for google maps.. thanks!
Barview indeed! Those perch fight hard as well, I like to use a 3/8 or 1/2 slip bobber and a #4 or 6 hook with a Berkley Sandworm or live sand shrimp. It’s fun fishing.

google earth in my opinion is the single best way to find possible places to fish. It’s also very rewarding to find access, and catch fish just by doing that. Have fun out there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
PhoFish said:
sorry for this question, but... what is the tidewater reaches? I have seen in the fishing regulations guide that there are bait restrictions when fishing above or below tidewater.. I guess I am not understanding where that is and how to determine it.
Tidewater is salt/ brackish water that is the river channel, but it is influenced by tide. So the water rises and drops just like the bay and ocean.

PhoFish
PhoFish
brandon4455 said:
Barview indeed! Those perch fight hard as well, I like to use a 3/8 or 1/2 slip bobber and a #4 or 6 hook with a Berkley Sandworm or live sand shrimp. It’s fun fishing.

google earth in my opinion is the single best way to find possible places to fish. It’s also very rewarding to find access, and catch fish just by doing that. Have fun out there.
I was looking on the ODFW site regarding surf fishing... do I really need a 9-11 foot pole? I have a 6'6" med action.. the others wouldnt break down before moving from MN so I was forced to axe them from the collection.

Perhaps this will have to be a different day when I can get properly setup for it.

brandon4455
brandon4455
PhoFish said:
I was looking on the ODFW site regarding surf fishing... do I really need a 9-11 foot pole? I have a 6'6" med action.. the others wouldnt break down before moving from MN so I was forced to axe them from the collection.

Perhaps this will have to be a different day when I can get properly setup for it.
I like longer rods in general for any kind of bobber fishing, but you’re fishing pretty close to the rocks. A lot of people bottom fish for them but I like to see bobbers go down and I also enjoy not losing nearly as much tackle.

I normally use an 8’6” medium action steelhead rod for them. But I bet you could get away with the 6’6” My only concern is you don’t want to be too close to the water, the jetty can be dangerous especially if you don’t have much experience fishing there, I wouldn’t recommend going alone and it’s preferable to go with someone who has before.
Good rule of thumb is look at how close to the water you think you’d stand, and go back at least another 10ft. So it might be a bit of a pain casting with that short of a rod

stocker trout lakes on the coast can be a great option as well but summertime is extremely slow on nearly all of them because the water gets so warm.

if I was you, I’d stick with throwing spinners for cutthroat in tidewater areas

Reactions: PhoFish
PhoFish
PhoFish
well... struck out again on trout, fished part of the Wilson, caught 3 LM from the Cape Meares lake dock, watched some guys fish from the rocks at Barview, threw in for a bit on the Nestucca, then got lost and went home. I was unable to find tidewater areas.. haha i guess I dont really understand where exactly they would be..

dschmunis
dschmunis
Hey @PhoFish I'm heading out to the Nestucca, Trask and Wilson early Friday morning if you want to tag along (yeah, I know.... forecast calls for rain but the fish are already wet and if I want to get more fishing days in Oregon I better get used to it! ;) ).

PhoFish
PhoFish
I was just on the Trask and Wilson this morning.. Finally got a river thermometer, dont know if it was accurate but it said 72 degrees on the Wilson - 69 up on the North Fork Trask.. so maybe that's why they are not biting haha. That north fork trask lodging road is a tough one.. damaged my car I think - taking it in tonight and not sure if I will have it back by Friday.

Perhaps the rain will cool off the water a bit. @dschmunis can I let you know tomorrow sometime if it will work out?

Mike