Clear Lake by Mt. Hood

Anybody been up there lately? I'm going to hit the water tomorrow am...looking for some advice. First time there. I'm bring my spin set up and fly rod....more spinning than flys. Thanks in advance.

Usually I fish there, if snow pack permits, in late May and June. The lake is used for irrigation so it will get drawn down to almost a stream in late summer. This will concentrate fish into a small area. Good luck out there.

Although I have never caught one at Clear Lake, doesn't mean they're not there. I have only caught rainbows and brook trout. If there are brown trout in Clear Lake they would be 'native' only in the sence that they naturally reproduce there. Very much like the browns that spawn in Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas that live in Harriet Lake.

Thanks Onthefly...might have to change plans. Or hit Clear then Harriet on the way back. Got a preview of Trillium last week. Packed with ton of plunkers and kayakers. Really got crowded at 11, but I am usually done then. Caught a few nice bows though.

I was up there for 3 days this week... the water is low but not as bad as it usually is this time of year, there was still plenty of water. We caught plenty of fish on the boat, and the fly... but not much off the shore

Are the stumps still there, or have they finally rotted away? (been a long time since I seen it low) I'm looking to go also in the next week or two, but will be fly fishing from the bank/mud.

~psguardian

Are the stumps still there, or have they finally rotted away? (been a long time since I seen it low) I'm looking to go also in the next week or two, but will be fly fishing from the bank/mud.

~psguardian

still tons of stumps, but evening/morning fly fishing from shore is very good deep in the coves. Middle of the day is veeeery windy

Been busy, sorry for the late report...I never made it up there. Did hit Harriet Lake. Got skunked there, but not because of my lack of ability. My old school waders were no match for that water temp. I am 100% sure my arse has never been in water that cold. Did see a ton of fish jumping and as soon as the sun hit the water, I could see a blanket of hatch on the water. After a hour on the water I was shaking and had to get off the water. I will be back with proper gear! Loved the lake and its potential. Hit the Clackamas after that for some exploring. Can't wait to hit the Clack for winter steelies!

Top Bottom