Clackamas fish run

T
Troutslayerjenn
I was thinking of fishing the clackamas this weekend (bank) and was wondering if anyone knows if the fish are still going through. Thanks.

S
sapo
There's still quite a few fish going through the Clackamas right now...coho fishing is doing pretty good there. With this extremely heavy rain the past few days though, I'm not sure if the river will be blown out, or what...I looked on the NWS (national weather service) site for "Clackamas river near Estacada" and it looks like the water level rose extremely rapidly yesterday mid-day, today a good amount more of river level rising, then steady for awhile, I'm not sure if that means the river is blown out, not sure if the Clackamas gets high and muddy easily, or what. Someone else who has been there recently should be able to give some more specific information. Thanks!

C
ChezJfrey
This weekend might be tough to actually find fish, based on the rise: http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/river/station/flowplot/flowplot.cgi?ESTO3

I would imagine that most, or all, of the coho would have bolted from their spots by now, since they've been holding for higher water for some time.

On a rising river, this time of year, it will probably also be tough to find summers that probably move around in the shifting conditions, even though they're prone to still be around for some months.

The Clack fishes best at 12 feet or below, so by 11/2, it might be a bit easier, but many fish will have likely shifted around, so one just has to find them. However, 13 feet this weekend is not impossible, coho are probably higher up and motoring and some summers might be around, but changed locations in the higher current, and who know if in the biting mood given the drastic change in conditions.

Only way to find out is give it a try.

S
sapo
Thanks Chez!

B
bigcat
Drove up the clack and eagle creek today. Water color on the clack is brown. Didn't see any boats or fisherman. Eagle creek was a ghost town also. Thought it would be full of silvers after these last 2 days of heavy rain. They must have shot up in last weeks rain event.
Drove up to the hatchery to look at the holding pen and my suspicion was pretty much spot on. I've never seen so many silvers kegged up in that pen and the ladder that feeds into it. Hatchery run is over everyone. Hello steelhead

T
Troutslayerjenn
Thanks chez and sapo!

I was worried about all this rain. Maybe we will wait or possibly take the boat out and try the columbia? I am worried about all the debris that will probably be floating around though.

D
DrTheopolis
Troutslayerjenn said:
Maybe we will wait or possibly take the boat out and try the columbia?

Depends on the weather. If it's very windy, and you don't have a large boat, the C can get pretty dicey (a little better around Troutdale, in my limited experience). Regardless of the time of year or conditions, if you're on anchor, someone should always be facing upstream to watch for debris, and be ready to drop OFF anchor (a carabiner to attach the anchor line makes it easy). See that tree/whatever coming, drop OFF and come back after it goes by. A big chunk of something into the anchor line is a good way to swim home.

That said, if I had a boat (might hit up my buddies), I'd hit the C this weekend and soak some Kwiks (or Mags).