Clackamas and I are not getting along

F
fishy_girl
So I was totally skunked on the clackamas again. :( I am beging to wonder if its me, the fish or me and the fish lol. I dont know what I am doing wrong but maybe you all could help. I think its time for a fishing buddy to show me the right way. I am tired of all the fish laughing at me. Its time this girl kicks some fishy butt!!:pray:

S
SmallStreams
There's not much going on for salmon yet. We had a trickle of fish during the last rain, but it was only a teaser as far as I could tell.

C
ChezJfrey
Agreed...coho are probably still scant there right now given the lack of recent rain to get them moving in. But, higher up, there are still summers swimming around...I've seen 'em, but just can't seem to hook and/or land 'em just yet.

S
skunk
There's a bit of a native run of coho that's already made its way up. Not sure if the Eagle Creek stock has hit yet, didn't see anything lower in the clack this evening. So its mainly the fish are a bit scarce right now. You may be fishing good, just not fishing over fish, which will lower your catching. Doesn't hurt the fishing much though...haha. Keep checking the river, maybe fish less if you don't see or hear of fish being there, do more checking till some start showing up more regular. For now start hitting the parks lower and move around as you learn the water.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. The Nooks have barely begun, and they won't really go strong and go upstream until we have more rain and cooler water temps. THEN, the Ho's are next. So, give it a couple of more good rains/cooler temps and it'll be good timing for ya!

F
fishy_girl
Not sure if Eagle Creek is stocked yet either but its time to check out another spot so maybe between there and the Sandy I might get lucky this weekend :)

O
OnTheFly
The Clackamas is best fished after a good river swelling rain. Of course they will trickle in but the bulk of the run will be after the rains of October. Chartreuse corky and yarn is a good start.

H
halibuthitman
the clack just might be mad at you for not even having the respect for it of knowing how to spell its name, love and respect the river, and it will love you,

F
fishy_girl
halibuthitman said:
the clack just might be mad at you for not even having the respect for it of knowing how to spell its name, love and respect the river, and it will love you,

Ok so next time I slow down when I type and then I will spell it right lol because I love and respect my Clackamas river we are just not on the best of terms right now

C
cddunn
Keep on Truckin'. When they do show up, you'll be there. Perhaps you'll learn a trick or two in the mean time. The Clack hasn't been very nice to me either, but I've seen the big fishes, have been shown the fish, and have heard them jumping around. I'm not too sure I haven't heard them laughing at me.

F
fishy_girl
The Clackamas has been looking very beautiful the last two mornings I have been there. I walked the bank from Meldrom all the way down to the Walgreens hole and sat there for a while. The beautiful river still just isn't giving up those fish for me :( I am not giving up on catching my first ever Salmon nor am I giving up on the Clackamas just yet but I think its time I change up my game. I am moving on up to the Sandy and Eagle Creek for a while finding myself a nice quiet spot, having a talk with the river and then giving her flowers in hopes that she gives me some fish lol

C
Callaway
hey if you want someone to go to eagle creek with you ive been looking into going up there lately too,
ive been having a hard time getting my first fish out of any of the rivers up here that wasn't a sucker or a catfish.
if your interested shoot me a pm and maybe we can set something up, always good to have a partner next to water anyways.
-callaway

M
Moosebonsai
I just started fishing for steelhead and salmon this summer; complete novice I am. During August and September, I have been on the Clackamas three times with the same results as you have gotten. I too am using Blue Fox spinners. I have been reading Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout by Jed Davis. Jed suggest color selection in contrast to the sky; if it is sunny then he suggest a duller color like black and overcast skies will require shinny silvers. He talks about smaller spinners for summer runs and sizes 3, 4, and 5 for winter runs. I have been using #2s and plan to go bigger next time I stop to buy some as winter is coming. I have been doing the same presentation that you describe.

However, what do I know; I have caught no steelhead or salmon, only a few bass. Therefore, all my information is academic at this point. I fished 3 times on the Clackamas so far this summer, skunked every time except for a 6 inch tiny fish I could not identify. I have been going up stream, stopping to fish some at Faraday Lake, and then continuing up stream to where I can gain access to the river. Should I be finding some spots lower on the river? Is my plan to go up in size a good one? Will I ever land a steelhead (OK, I know I will, it is only a matter of time and patients, but geesh)?

Any one know what type of fingerling this is? I caught it on the brass Blue Fox #2; the spinner was damn near as big as the fish.

C
chrisohm
That looks like a salmon smolt. You should use a size 4 Blue Fox for coho, maybe a size 5 and bright when the water gets turbid. Fish deep pools and choppy water. You will still get the occasional smolt on the end of your spinner so be nice to them. Also, even if it is overcast, it could still be too bright for something shiny. Go black and then work your way to brighter, no hits, go up or down in lure size. Jed also mentions in his book about the use of tape. Tape on the inside of the blade shows better and can sometimes get the fishy attention you need.

troutdude
troutdude
It's really great to see folks talking about Jed's spinner designs and methods. I've had a copy of his book, since the mid-80's. IMHO, it is the DEFINITIVE book on making spinners to match conditions.

Tape on the inside (back) of the blade (or the front side), allows the fish to see one color coming at them. Then, right when the spinner passes by the fish's cone of vision--it suddenly appears to change color or "flash" at them. That's what triggers their aggressive nature, and produces a strike.

Quote from Moosebonsai: "Jed suggest color selection in contrast to the sky; if it is sunny then he suggest a duller color like black and overcast skies will require shinny silvers."

From my recollection--and if I'm not mistaken--I believe that this is opposite of what Jed wrote about. If I am wrong, I apologize. But, I think this is correct; and here is why.

The first time that I made a batch of spinners (per Jed's designs); I made some size 3's. Each spinner was the same. They were ALL black. Each had a black blade, black body (i.e. the weights), dark hook, and a piece of black tubing slipped over the shank of the hook. I did NOT add any tape of any kind. So, they were very "plain" in appearance.

I ventured out, with these black spinners, on a day much like today (cloudy, drizzly, etc). In other words, it was not a sunny day--and the water was murky too. So, I used dark spinners on a dark day and in darkish water. I waded out waste deep, and eyed the water. Aha! A hen making a nest under a fallen tree. I cast a spinner upstream from her schnoz. To my surprise...BAM! Her hubby smacked my spinner with brute force! (Guess he didn't want me foolin' with his lady...LOL). After I released him (a soreback), I proceeded to hook into 3 more big nooks that day.

That was the day that I decided, that Jed knew his stuff. I cannot recommend his book highly enough. If you are able to find one...get a 1st or 2nd Edition copy. Those have better color plates than the following edition(s).

P.S. Whoops. I just realized that this veered OFF topic. Sorry. But, you can use Jed's methods on any stream...including the Clackamas. I hope that she enjoys the flowers that you gave her.

Last edited:
N
nativefish
i like size three for coho..... :)

L
Longleaderguy
Callaway said:
hey if you want someone to go to eagle creek with you ive been looking into going up there lately too,
ive been having a hard time getting my first fish out of any of the rivers up here that wasn't a sucker or a catfish.
if your interested shoot me a pm and maybe we can set something up, always good to have a partner next to water anyways.
-callaway
Iim going to the crick Sunday

M
Moosebonsai
We are headed out to the Clackamas right now. Thanks for the advice and I hope you keep it coming. I need all the help I can get. I'm going to get some #4 spinners and try my hand.

Michael

S
skunk
Not to push you off the clack or eagle, but I know the Sandy has got some good numbers of kings, and some coho in it. Got one kings last week, and had plenty of coho hit, just couldn't get the hookset on them.

F
fishy_girl
skunk said:
Not to push you off the clack or eagle, but I know the Sandy has got some good numbers of kings, and some coho in it. Got one kings last week, and had plenty of coho hit, just couldn't get the hookset on them.

Skunk I would love to be pointed in the right direction to a new spot. How is McIver or Oxbow right now? I have been skunked for the last time. Yesterday I spent the day fishing and got nothing :( couldnt even get a dang trout on my line. I think I have made the fish gods mad at me and I got to fix it.

Thanks
Fishy_Girl