Catfish fishing around Eugene

B
Boywhofishes
alright i'll be heading up to that neck of the woods around thanksgiving i believe :D so i'll bring my bass gear and some carp gear?...

F
FishSchooler
Sure, oh yeah, winter steels will almost be in then. :D Oh yeah, dont forget to bring me a cake. :lol::lol::lol:

A
ArcticAmoeba
You guys gonna go bassin around Thanksgiving??? Granted I know near to nothing about Bass, but isn't the water going to be downright cold for Bass fishing that time of year?

B
Boywhofishes
i'm not sure, they'll probably be on top of any food that comes by though right?:think:

O
osmosis
I think youd have to practically hit them in the face with your lure. I believe they would be super lethargic that time of the year.. Probably be down deep too.

F
FishSchooler
Yeah... Last of the bass... the stupidest bass... :lol: My bad...

B
Boywhofishes
lol:lol:

J
joesnuffy
That made the Front Page of the paper over here....... I saw a lot more people fishing the next weekend. lol

B
Boywhofishes
man i want to just catch a cat... i haven't hooked a cat in a while :(

B
Brokenrod
Dorena

Dorena

I'm not sure if you can, but I have heard that there are some fairly big catfish/bullheads in Dorena reservoir. If you are looking to eat what you catch I would stay away from them because of the Mercury. If you are just out to catch a fish that might be an option. A fella I worked with used to go down there with his little boy and they used worms. He said it was basically nonstop action. Plus every now and then they would hook into some giant largemouth bass.
Gary

B
Boywhofishes
thanks Man, welcome to the forums, it's nice to see another guy form the Eugene area. :D:D:D:clap::clap::clap::dance::dance::dance:

Troutski
Troutski
Dorena...

Dorena...

Fishing early morning and evening and night are the best (If the laws are still the same you can fish in the dead of night for cats). if your fishing from the shore park at the dam and walk down to the water and head up stream about 150 yards and look for a sharp drop off. This is a very good spot for the resident cats and like was said "I wouldn't eat them". They are fun to catch, try a glob of worms or stink bait. If you want a real treat try a double hook set up, cats on the bottom hook and floating power bait on the top hook for Trout...kick in the pants when you get a double hook-up :dance:

Chuck

B
Boywhofishes
alright i'll be up there soon... a trout and a cat how far apart are the hooks?...

A
ArcticAmoeba
I have doen this a few times down at Detroit...I usually give myself a drop shot type set-up, and have the bottom hook right at the bottom like 8 inches up from your sinker. The next hook goes on about 24-30 inches above that. Lengths will vary depending on how deep the water is, and what level the trout are at. I give mysely about 12 inches of leader at the bottom hook, and abou 18 inches at the top, just to make it interesting I suppose, but this particular rig has gotten more than a few, dual species doubles. PB up top, and some nasty cat bait at the bottom, like chicken livers, or a trout heart actually if you get one right off the bat.

Troutski
Troutski
Sweet...

Sweet...

ArcticAmoeba said:
I have doen this a few times down at Detroit...I usually give myself a drop shot type set-up, and have the bottom hook right at the bottom like 8 inches up from your sinker. The next hook goes on about 24-30 inches above that. Lengths will vary depending on how deep the water is, and what level the trout are at. I give mysely about 12 inches of leader at the bottom hook, and abou 18 inches at the top, just to make it interesting I suppose, but this particular rig has gotten more than a few, dual species doubles. PB up top, and some nasty cat bait at the bottom, like chicken livers, or a trout heart actually if you get one right off the bat.

Right on, I couldn't have said it better. It is so much fun with one fish going one direction and another one going the exact opposite...your gonna love it.

Chuck

B
Boywhofishes
i can't wait as i have never done this before :D nthanks guys tyou're really a big help :D:clap::clap::clap:

R
RIVERFISHER
if u are still looking for catfish get worms weight and head to ballenger pond.. there are some whoppers in there...better if u have a little boat or something...but u can vatch them all night.....

J
jaredhaug
catfish near vancouver/portland

catfish near vancouver/portland

Hey all, I usually bank fish for trout and bass, but recently a coworker and I talked about fishing for catfish, and he has a boat, any recommendations for the pdx/vancouver area. how are they biting this time of year? any help would be appreciated, as you could fill a book with what I don't know about this.:rolleyes:

F
Fishtopher
Hey jared...welcome to off!!! Hope you enjoy. I havent gotten out the cat rod in about 3-4 months. And memory is, well, its broken.:( Ive never catfished from a boat. But the good news is, there are catfish everywhere in the willy and big c. Grab some crawlers and some chicken liver, and keep a tight line...if fishing at night, it helps to have a bell or a glow stick held to yer rod with a rubber band. Catfish bite I have found, seems to migrate with the sturgeon from the Columbia to the Willamette, swimmin towards that warmer water this time of year.

J
jaredhaug
thanks fishtopher, if we decided to bank fish, any spots on the columbia you would recommend?