Catching bigger trout

N
nativefish
Plan on going lake fishing and was wondering if there was any useful information that could help me target larger size trout in a lake. Do you think its all luck? Should I fish deeper, try fishing worms off the bottom even though they dont float (live bait vs soft plastic or dough)? What is your theory or thoughts?

troutdude
troutdude
You can make worms float. Simply inject them with air pockets. You can buy a cheap syringe and pump them up. Or, get a worm inflation bottle (empty bottle w/ needle and cap) @ Bi-Mart.

Of course, there is also the method of a worm and marshmallow. Thread a small marshmallow onto the hook; and leave it just above the hook on your line. Then, add a chunk of worm. A corkie used for drift fishing, may also be substituted for floating.

The trick is, to get your worm to float. And the ideas above are time tested and work.

C
cowboysfan
troutdude said:
You can make worms float. Simply inject them with air pockets. You can buy a cheap syringe and pump them up. Or, get a worm inflation bottle (empty bottle w/ needle and cap) @ Bi-Mart.

Of course, there is also the method of a worm and marshmallow. Thread a small marshmallow onto the hook; and leave it just above the hook on your line. Then, add a chunk of worm. A corkie used for drift fishing, may also be substituted for floating.

The trick is, to get your worm to float. And the ideas above are time tested and work.[/QUOTET

x's 2 exactly as he said, my bait fishing rig of choice tried and true, worm and marsmallow are killer in the high lakes. sliding egg sinker, swivel, 18-36 in. leader. whole crawler thread on a #4 baitholder leave head side of band off hook then top with a jet puff mini marshmallow. It will most times out fish any other bait. you need to keep the worm floating!!!

L
LuckyToBeFishing
A friend of mine taught me the injection method. They both work really well, but the injection method is a very natural presentation.I have seen Troutski put out an "air worm" and have a hit within a minute. Seriously. From that point on, it became my preferred method. I carry a syringe always.

F
fishinshawn
yep the air method works great. I like to pinch a crawler in half and push the light colored part on the hook leaving about an inch of it unhooked. Then I cast out and retrieve really slow. It gives the worm a nice action, and you can vary your depth with every retrieve until you find the fish.

M
Moe
Dirty water- worm and marshmellow, or corkie and worm if you are too lazy to change out the marshmallow each time.
Clear water/ streams - Air injected worm

I never get skunked :D