Carp jumping, not biting.

H
Hopeless
Went out to PGE's Trojan Pond today. Was on the North pond for about five hours, and no takers.
As I was leaving, about 30-45 minutes after sunset, the carp started 'jumping' every few minutes.
I note that of all the carp that I got a good look at, only came about 2/3 of each fish came out of the water.
Most of them were landing upside down, or coming out of the water upside down.
I estimate that the fish were ~2-3" thick, 6-8" from back to belly, and 16-22" long. It seemed to me that the fish were all about the same size.
My rig today was baited with corn, and at one point had a worm on it that I dug up. Doesn't seem to be the ideal bait.
I am more of a hunter, so about every 5-10 minutes I would move my bait about 20-40 feet.
About 5 pm I noted fish on the surface on the NW corner, don't know what they were doing.
I was reading a while ago some of you might have been interested in coming up here to check them out.
There's fish, I can attest to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
G
grizzlynitemare
I've heard that's the behavior they exhibit when spawning, or preparing to spawn.
My cousin and I went to the ponds by the Fern Ridge dam in Eugene a few weeks ago and they were all sky bound, but we didn't catch any.
Went to the same ponds again on Monday (4/7) and caught about 15-20 each, using corn and worms.
A few pics posted below.

Give it a week or 2 and they should be biting again!

I
igquick
If you went for about 5 hours and they are jumping after sunset, that sounds like spawning time for them. Probably at that time, 1 out of every 100 Carp were eating and the rest spawning. You have to find the time they are pre or post spawning.

T
Throbbit _Shane

Those pictures dont appear to be from the ponds by Fern Ridge, but look like the long tom. Nice carp either way, iv fished there a couple times and caught fish, but usually too many people for my taste.

G
grizzlynitemare
Those pictures dont appear to be from the ponds by Fern Ridge, but look like the long tom. Nice carp either way, iv fished there a couple times and caught fish, but usually too many people for my taste.

I say the ponds because it's easier than "long tom right below the dam" haha. But yes, these were caught in the stream right below the dam.

T
Throbbit _Shane
You ever fish the lake for them?

G
grizzlynitemare
I haven't. I have only been on the lake when testing our boat. Never really fished it.