Can we talk about the highway speed limit a bit?

S
Snakehandler7
I will be the first to admit that when I had a lowered Lexus GS 300 I enjoyed speeding here and there....

I live down in Brookings and it seems like every single time I head north and back on the coast I have somebody tailgating me on 101 when I'm doing 65 which is 10 over.

I'm new in town, so I want to ask if this is normal? Is this you?

I have to be honest, it seems unsafe to me to want to do 70+ on the highway. I often travel with my entire family and I shake my head often when hitting the highway.

Please let me know your 2c.

C_Run
C_Run
There's always somebody like that. I had an empty chip truck closing on me fast yesterday in the coast range, no passing lanes on this road. I just pulled over at the first chance even though I was going 60. I'd say let 'em pass whenever possible and drive the speed you are comfortable with. Whenever someone like that passes me and my wife, we always joke that they must have to get home and go to the bathroom real bad because otherwise there's no excuse.

Reactions: Snakehandler7
NKlamerus
NKlamerus
Normal everywhere.

I grew up in Florida, people here 100% drive more cautiously, which sometimes can be more a hassle. (stopping completely instead of merging at speed comes to mind)

I don't mind the tailgating, it's the different speed for semi trucks that drives me nuts, causes way more passing and lane changes than necessary, and probably more tailgating

I've got one of these on the back of my truck
21ccI0eQKML._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLe...jpg

nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
Generally people book it at 65-70 in a 55-60 limit, sometimes more, it’s normal. But there there is nothing reasonable for anything over 75.

G
Gulfstream
I was a contractor in Cali and drove over 100 miles a day. The people here a WAY better drivers than there.If you are getting tailgated slow down to the speed limit and it will drive the assho&^ nuts! That's what I do

• Haha
Reactions: Dean, rogerdodger, troutdude and 1 other person
troutdude
troutdude
@Gulfstream you and I are of the same mold! That's exactly what I do too.

Back in the late 70's I came to stop, for a school bus with lights flashing. A dumbass then plowed into my backside at 55-60 mph! So I no longer take kindly to those fools.

jamisonace
jamisonace
On my way to fish I'm the guy doing 80 on the way home I'm the guy going 45.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Grant22, Dean, Snakehandler7 and 2 others
W
wils
If someone is tailgating you and you speed up, they will still be tailgating you. OSP radar guns dont care your excuse when YOU get the speeding ticket. ;)

D
Dean
Gulfstream said:
I was a contractor in Cali and drove over 100 miles a day. The people here a WAY better drivers than there.If you are getting tailgated slow down to the speed limit and it will drive the assho&^ nuts! That's what I do
Yep - that's exactly what I do. You want to tailgate me? Then I'm going to make sure we are going at a VERY safe speed where I'm not going to hit my brakes and get rear-ended. Like 10 below the speed limit. That usually sends a message, they back off, and I resume going 5 over or whatever.

troutdude said:
@Gulfstream you and I are of the same mold! That's exactly what I do too.

Back in the late 70's I came to stop, for a school bus with lights flashing. A dumbass then plowed into my backside at 55-60 mph! So I no longer take kindly to those fools.
You might have saved some kids' lives man. Jeez.

Reactions: troutdude
troutdude
troutdude
Dean said:
Yep - that's exactly what I do. You want to tailgate me? Then I'm going to make sure we are going at a VERY safe speed where I'm not going to hit my brakes and get rear-ended. Like 10 below the speed limit. That usually sends a message, they back off, and I resume going 5 over or whatever.

You might have saved some kids' lives man. Jeez.
after I crawled out I heard the kids screaming and the bus driver was panicking too a bit. So I helped calm the kids down. Then got all dizzy and sat on the steps of the bus for paramedics. I had already safely helped the driver that I was shoved into, to calm the kids in her back seat--and get them safely over to the side of the road. I only did what any caring and decent person would do. But that car driver called my mom the next with appreciation.

Reactions: Dean
SciFly
SciFly
There are two rules that describe ALL other drivers on the road besides yourself:
1) Anyone going faster than you is crazy.
2) Anyone going slower than you is an idiot.

I know, I know, you are now asking the question: "But what about the people going the same speed as you?"

They are idiots too.

Reactions: wils
S
Snopro
Thought it was idiots and maniacs. I miss George Carlin.

S
SparkyofSoCal
Why is the fact if you are not doing the posted speed limit there is the refusal to use turn outs like the posted signs advise. That’s a big problem also. Not as sexy an issue as talking about speeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: troutdude
D
Dean
SparkyofSoCal said:
Why is the fact if you are not doing the posted speed limit there is the refusal to use turn outs like the posted signs advise. That’s a big problem also. Not as sexy an issue as talking about speeders.

Wait - you think talking about speeders is sexy? That's... something new. Wow.

Anyway, are you trying to say that people not using turnouts is an excuse for other drivers to drive dangerously? Because that doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, if somebody is driving UNDER the limit, that might slightly frustrate me but I'm not going to do something dangerous and tailgate them or something. Why would you possibly think that is OK? Also - there are passing lanes throughout so your inconvenience would be temporary. No need to put somebody else's life in danger to try to shave 2 minutes off your trip.

Reactions: Raincatcher
S
SparkyofSoCal
Are you making excuses for slower traffic or maintaining posted speed limits for not using turn outs as posted. Is that hitting to close to home?

hobster
hobster
I moved to Eugene 27 years ago, gone are the days of mellow drivers and VW busses. I won’t complain about traffic because we ain’t Portland or Seattle, but the driving has changed big time. Lots of speeders and tailgating is an everyday thing. I drive a beat up work truck so it must say “please tailgate me”. I slow down as well, best way to deal with those jerks. I usually roll about 7 miles over, not like I’m a snail.

Reactions: Dean and LazyBrewer
D
Dean
hobster said:
I moved to Eugene 27 years ago, gone are the days of mellow drivers and VW busses. I won’t complain about traffic because we ain’t Portland or Seattle, but the driving has changed big time. Lots of speeders and tailgating is an everyday thing. I drive a beat up work truck so it must say “please tailgate me”. I slow down as well, best way to deal with those jerks. I usually roll about 7 miles over, not like I’m a snail.
Yeah - I grew up in Eugene, moved to Portland when I turned 18. When I go back and visit family I'm always a bit surprised that there's actual traffic in Eugene now. :)

SparkyofSoCal said:
Are you making excuses for slower traffic or maintaining posted speed limits for not using turn outs as posted. Is that hitting to close to home?

I'm having a hard time understanding your comment to be honest. Is English not your native language? Not trying to be rude but legitimately asking. And I'm not making "excuses" for anyone.

My point was: even if somebody else is doing something you don't like, you shouldn't put other people's lives in danger with reckless driving. That is the logical equivalent of me saying "well, everybody is driving too slow for me so I'm just going to drive drunk!". It's a non sequitur, two wrongs don't make a right, yadda yadda. Also - in my experience recently driving to/around the coast, you *might* be stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle for a short period of time but there are enough passing lanes, turn outs, etc. that it's really not an issue.

Let's say you are driving for 60 miles over the pass to the coast. Your desired rate of travel is 60 MPH and you get stuck behind a truck doing 50 MPH for 10 out of 60 of those miles. How much time do you think that will actually add to your trip? Your original travel time was obviously going to be 60 minutes. And (50 / 60 * 60) + (10 / 50 * 60) = 62 so you have added a whopping 2 minutes of travel time. Is that worth putting your fellow motorists in danger? For me the answer is a resounding "no". Be patient, drive safe.

S
SparkyofSoCal
SparkyofSoCal said:

Dean said:
Wait - you think talking about speeders is sexy? That's... something new. Wow.

Anyway, are you trying to say that people not using turnouts is an excuse for other drivers to drive dangerously? Because that doesn't make any sense to me. Sure, if somebody is driving UNDER the limit, that might slightly frustrate me but I'm not going to do something dangerous and tailgate them or something. Why would you possibly think that is OK? Also - there are passing lanes throughout so your inconvenience would be temporary. No need to put somebody else's life in danger to try to shave 2 minutes off your trip.

Dean said:
Yeah - I grew up in Eugene, moved to Portland when I turned 18. When I go back and visit family I'm always a bit surprised that there's actual traffic in Eugene now. :)

I'm having a hard time understanding your comment to be honest. Is English not your native language? Not trying to be rude but legitimately asking. And I'm not making "excuses" for anyone.

My point was: even if somebody else is doing something you don't like, you shouldn't put other people's lives in danger with reckless driving. That is the logical equivalent of me saying "well, everybody is driving too slow for me so I'm just going to drive drunk!". It's a non sequitur, two wrongs don't make a right, yadda yadda. Also - in my experience recently driving to/around the coast, you *might* be stuck behind a slow-moving vehicle for a short period of time but there are enough passing lanes, turn outs, etc. that it's really not an issue.

Let's say you are driving for 60 miles over the pass to the coast. Your desired rate of travel is 60 MPH and you get stuck behind a truck doing 50 MPH for 10 out of 60 of those miles. How much time do you think that will actually add to your trip? Your original travel time was obviously going to be 60 minutes. And (50 / 60 * 60) + (10 / 50 * 60) = 62 so you have added a whopping 2 minutes of travel time. Is that worth putting your fellow motorists in danger?
What we have here is a failure to communicate. My language skills are excellent. Your reading and comprehension skills I feel are lacking. Luckily we have post that don’t change and I can help you through it. My post #15 is simply asking why people who are not doing the speed limit do not use the turn outs as posted and requiredto by law to do so. You can not understand the question . Or you are ignoring the question. Maybe you struggle with the written English language. I’ll try to draw you a picture with words the best I can. I will make an effort use words with few syllables to help you get through it. I am driving 55 miles an hour (mph) in a 55 mph zone. You are driving 50 mph hour. As I pull closer to you there is a line of cares behind you. The car going 50 mph, by Oregon law and most States, is obligated to use the turn outs to allow the cars to go by so they can resume the posted 55 mph legal posted speed. It is very simple, so simple you don’t have to think or guess, wonder or imagine what to do. It is written right there on the sign, ahead of the turn outs to give you plenty or time to read the sign written in English. It is also written in a few different languages in the Oregon Drivers Handbook, free of charge on line or at the DMV. You are not required, asked or obligated to make any social warrior opinions or push your ideas of what is right or wrong. Your obligation is to use that turn out and allow cars to pass. If you really cared about safety that’s what cautious, safe and responsible person would do. Not your ‘I’ll show them I’m going to poke along like I am only one on the road and I own it,I'm the only one on the road that knows what's right and those behind will learn that’ attitude. If you did the right thing some people would not feel like they have to cross over into opposing lane when applicable (lawful)to get around your not maintaining posted speed limit. That’s where things can get sideways in a hurry. So you see if you obey the law the roads would be safer. Nerves would be calmed and you would earn your fellow mans respect for doing what is right. If you continue to make up your own rules maybe the roads would be safer without you on them. It’s all up to up to do the right thing and follow the law. As you sit there reading and getting your ducks in a row to justify your previous post admonishing (look that one up yourself) me, I don’t care what you do if you are maintaining the posted speed limit because I don’t speed so there is no issue. You have a nice day, teach your children what you learned today and try to remember what we talked about today the next time you get behind the wheel. Please be safe. We would hate to lose you.

D
Dean
SparkyofSoCal said:
What we have here is a failure to communicate. My language skills are excellent. Your reading and comprehension skills I feel are lacking. Luckily we have post that don’t change and I can help you through it. My post #15 is simply asking why people who are not doing the speed limit do not use the turn outs as posted and requiredto by law to do so. You can not understand the question . Or you are ignoring the question. Maybe you struggle with the written English language. I’ll try to draw you a picture with words the best I can. I will make an effort use words with few syllables to help you get through it. I am driving 55 miles an hour (mph) in a 55 mph zone. You are driving 50 mph hour. As I pull closer to you there is a line of cares behind you. The car going 50 mph, by Oregon law and most States, is obligated to use the turn outs to allow the cars to go by so they can resume the posted 55 mph legal posted speed. It is very simple, so simple you don’t have to think or guess, wonder or imagine what to do. It is written right there on the sign, ahead of the turn outs to give you plenty or time to read the sign written in English. It is also written in a few different languages in the Oregon Drivers Handbook, free of charge on line or at the DMV. You are not required, asked or obligated to make any social warrior opinions or push your ideas of what is right or wrong. Your obligation is to use that turn out and allow cars to pass. If you really cared about safety that’s what cautious, safe and responsible person would do. Not your ‘I’ll show them I’m going to poke along like I am only one on the road and I own it,I'm the only one on the road that knows what's right and those behind will learn that’ attitude. If you did the right thing some people would not feel like they have to cross over into opposing lane when applicable (lawful)to get around your not maintaining posted speed limit. That’s where things can get sideways in a hurry. So you see if you obey the law the roads would be safer. Nerves would be calmed and you would earn your fellow mans respect for doing what is right. If you continue to make up your own rules maybe the roads would be safer without you on them. It’s all up to up to do the right thing and follow the law. As you sit there reading and getting your ducks in a row to justify your previous post admonishing (look that one up yourself) me, I don’t care what you do if you are maintaining the posted speed limit because I don’t speed so there is no issue. You have a nice day, teach your children what you learned today and try to remember what we talked about today the next time you get behind the wheel. Please be safe. We would hate to lose you.
I felt like we were failing to communicate as well, which is why I was inquiring as to your native language (and it wasn't in a malicious way!). Just trying to understand where you are coming from. Allow me to break down your post in a few sections (also known as paragraphs, which I think you should look in to, friend!).

My post #15 is simply asking why people who are not doing the speed limit do not use the turn outs as posted and requiredto by law to do so. You can not understand the question . Or you are ignoring the question.
First off, no your post did not ask a question. Questions tend to be punctuated by question marks. To quote the post in question:

Where's the question there? Do you see how I'm asking questions using, you know, question marks? Also - it has literally nothing to do with the original post. But let's move on:

Maybe you struggle with the written English language. I’ll try to draw you a picture with words the best I can. I will make an effort use words with few syllables to help you get through it. I am driving 55 miles an hour (mph) in a 55 mph zone. You are driving 50 mph hour. As I pull closer to you there is a line of cares behind you.
You're already losing me. There's a "line of cares" behind me? What is a "line of cares"? My reading comprehension, as you already noted, must be terrible because I don't know what a "line of cares" is. :( I do, however, know what a line of "cars" is but they don't tend to line up behind me due to the fact that I'm generally driving at the rate of traffic in any given situation.

The car going 50 mph, by Oregon law and most States, is obligated to use the turn outs to allow the cars to go by so they can resume the posted 55 mph legal posted speed. It is very simple, so simple you don’t have to think or guess, wonder or imagine what to do. It is written right there on the sign, ahead of the turn outs to give you plenty or time to read the sign written in English. It is also written in a few different languages in the Oregon Drivers Handbook, free of charge on line or at the DMV.
I totally agree that they are obligated to turn out. Never said anything to the contrary. I drive 5 (or more) over the limit at all times and will teach my kids to do the same. My point is: when somebody else DOESN'T do that, it doesn't give you the right to drive recklessly. Do you disagree with that incredibly simple point?

S
SparkyofSoCal
Picking apart my punctuation and spelling is fair game, enjoy if that's what you think is important.
There is never an accepted time or place to drive recklessly on public highways. As you noted, you speed, you exceed the speed limit. Is that reckless driving? You don't believe so. So it appears reckless driving is sometimes subjective. Jack may think Bill is exhibiting reckless driver. Jill does not believe she is driving reckless. Right back where we pretty much started. Please accept my apologies ahead of time if I assumed Jill was a female. FYI, I'm done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk