Can I get a little "guidance" pleeeeeeease

D
Danny662boy
Anyone fish the river mill dam? I've watched videos on YouTube and it looks like a stunning place? I read somewhere that in one direction either above or below the dam you can't fish it? Is there access to a fishing spot by this dam? Parking? Also any directions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
T
Tinker
IMHO, 8# fluorocarbon is too light. Fluoros have some issues with internal knot strength in my exerience. Ever watch those fihing informercials disguised as fishing shows on cable TV? They use a 10# mainline and a 20# fluorocarbon leader. There has to be a reason for that...

Try moving up to a 10# or 12# fluorocarbon leader if it doesn't change the way the lures run too much. If the junk's supposed to be invisible to fish it doesn't matter to them how heavy the leader is - as long as it doesn't kill the action on the lure.

H
halibuthitman
Tinker said:
IMHO, 8# fluorocarbon is too light. Fluoros have some issues with internal knot strength in my exerience. Ever watch those fihing informercials disguised as fishing shows on cable TV? They use a 10# mainline and a 20# fluorocarbon leader. There has to be a reason for that...

Try moving up to a 10# or 12# fluorocarbon leader if it doesn't change the way the lures run too much. If the junk's supposed to be invisible to fish it doesn't matter to them how heavy the leader is - as long as it doesn't kill the action on the lure.
I use 8lb fluoro where I would use 10 lb mono, and 10 lb fluoro where I would use 12-15 lb mono.. fluoro is much stronger than mono in a smaller diameter... those fishing shows are all just a bunch of bull ****.. sorry. ( dear mods, please don't delete or edit this post )

L
Leon Fish
[QUOTEy662boy;283356]Anyone fish the river mill dam? I've watched videos on YouTube and it looks like a stunning place? I read somewhere that in one direction either above or below the dam you can't fish it? Is there access to a fishing spot by this dam? Parking? Also any directions would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

Its something like 200ft from any weir or trap. There's a sign there that says the rules. I parked by the lake ramp and u can hike down. There maybe other access points but I'm new.

T
troutmasta
Leon Fish said:
Its something like 200ft from any weir or trap. There's a sign there that says the rules. I parked by the lake ramp and u can hike down. There maybe other access points but I'm new.!

That is correct. Its beccause of the fish ladder not the dam. Alson there is no fishing from a floating device within set markers above the damn (to prevent death).
Faraday , which is the next dam up from rivermill is 126 feet, there is no fish ladder though, and the upstream deadline is 400 feet there.

Also I agree with HHM that Flouro is strong as hell, however you can't get away with just a plain old clinch in my opinion, I tie a polymer or an improved clinch both of which pass through the eyelet twice.

Tight Lines
TM

D
Danny662boy
Leon Fish said:
[QUOTEy662boy;283356]Anyone fish the river mill dam? I've watched videos on YouTube and it looks like a stunning place? I read somewhere that in one direction either above or below the dam you can't fish it? Is there access to a fishing spot by this dam? Parking? Also any directions would be appreciated!

Its something like 200ft from any weir or trap. There's a sign there that says the rules. I parked by the lake ramp and u can hike down. There maybe other access points but I'm new.[/QUOTE]

But I would still be going to mciver park correct? Its located In There correct?

L
Leon Fish
Yeah, through the park there's a gravel turn out that leads towards the lake. I actually parked around the bend by some fenced off area before the boat lauch parking lot. maybe a 20 yard difference. lol

D
Danny662boy
Any luck lee??

L
Leon Fish
This is where I parked. I did not check out the area across the dam, I see there is a park there. I'm wondering if the access is less steep?

http://goo.gl/maps/Uk5Gt

And I haven't fished yet...so no luck. lol.
Still in research mode, been covering a lot of ground though.

D
Danny662boy
Ahhh excellent I guess I'll have to check it out sometime not sure when tho

S
steelhead_stalkers
Tinker said:
IMHO, 8# fluorocarbon is too light. Fluoros have some issues with internal knot strength in my exerience.

I use 4 lb fluoro! No problems here. Fish-N-Fool knot, end of story. :D

T
Tinker
halibuthitman said:
I use 8lb fluoro where I would use 10 lb mono, and 10 lb fluoro where I would use 12-15 lb mono.. fluoro is much stronger than mono in a smaller diameter... those fishing shows are all just a bunch of bull ****.. sorry. ( dear mods, please don't delete or edit this post )

Plase don't delete or edit? :)

steelhead_stalkers said:
I use 4 lb fluoro! No problems here. Fish-N-Fool knot, end of story. :D

Nah, not the fishing shows (half-hour infomercials), personal experience. I had a 1/8th ounce spinner go sailing during a cast one morning, looked up "proper knots for fluorocarbon" and ran across all kinds of articles - sone were even believable - about low knot strength and tried it out. I know, I know: a fish scale isn't scientific, but the fluorocarbon knots always break first at maybe 80% of what you;d expect for the line's rated strength and the type fof knot. And they seem to break inside the knot and leave little curley-cues of what used to be a knot on both ends of the broken line. Seems to me that the line is plenty strong, but the knots tend to be a bit weak. Where I'd use 4# mono, I use 6# fluorocarbon.

Last edited:
Aervax
Aervax
Nice. I like the scientific verification on knot strength. I need to do that on my favorite knots and preferred lines to see where my knots need improvement. One thing I have noticed about fluorocarbon is it seems to be more succeptible to friction damage when pulling knots tight. The friction heats the line enough to thin it out a hair and weaken it just a little bit. A buddy who was tired of me shunning fluorocarbon as too prone to damage figured out what I was doing wrong. He pointed out the friction issue and that one needs to run the loose knot through your mouth to lubricate it before pulling down tight. Voila. Problem solved. This may be remedial to many OFF members. For newbies and for some reason for me I never figured it out on my own. The outcome of your knot test surprised me. The 20% loss in strength is a bit shocking. It reduces the advantage fluoro has over a good mono. I need to test my knots now and rethink this a bit.

H
halibuthitman
One things for certain, if your consistantly blowing up knots, the drag needs propperly adjusted-

D
DrTheopolis
Danny662boy said:
Its something like 200ft from any weir or trap. There's a sign there that says the rules. I parked by the lake ramp and u can hike down. There maybe other access points but I'm new.

But I would still be going to mciver park correct? Its located In There correct?

You can access the same stretch of river from the opposite side. A little more elbow room, but a steep hike - especially if you're toting a large fish. And $5 less in parking.

From Hwy 224, take Rivermill Road. There's an immediate "Y" where you veer left. There's parking at the little park, or above the dam at Estacada Lake.

The deadline is (was, haven't been in a while) clearly marked. Once the water is this low, you can hike a considerable distance downriver, and can have lots of spots to yourself.

At higher flows, the north side becomes a little tougher to get around, and the McIver side is usually a better choice. Great fishing from the upper boat ramp at McIver all the way up to the dam on either side.

T
troutmasta
Aervax said:
Nice. I like the scientific verification on knot strength. I need to do that on my favorite knots and preferred lines to see where my knots need improvement. One thing I have noticed about fluorocarbon is it seems to be more succeptible to friction damage when pulling knots tight. The friction heats the line enough to thin it out a hair and weaken it just a little bit. A buddy who was tired of me shunning fluorocarbon as too prone to damage figured out what I was doing wrong. He pointed out the friction issue and that one needs to run the loose knot through your mouth to lubricate it before pulling down tight. Voila. Problem solved. This may be remedial to many OFF members. For newbies and for some reason for me I never figured it out on my own. The outcome of your knot test surprised me. The 20% loss in strength is a bit shocking. It reduces the advantage fluoro has over a good mono. I need to test my knots now and rethink this a bit.
spit is one of the most important things in my tackle box. no joke

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
troutmasta said:
spit is one of the most important things in my tackle box. no joke
Never leave home without it! :D

S
steelhead_stalkers
Aervax said:
The 20% loss in strength is a bit shocking. It reduces the advantage fluoro has over a good mono. I need to test my knots now and rethink this a bit.

There have been a lot of test done on knot strength and fluorocarbon. The fish n fool knot retains 100% of the lines strength with fluorocarbon. In some cases it will even make the line stronger than its rating! Google knot wars and watch all of the knots and lines tested, then check out tackletour.com and read up on their review of various fluorocarbons. :D

If anyone is breaking off fish they need to practice the art of fighting a fish instead of blaming the line. :lol: Your drag may be to tight, rod to stiff for the line test you are using. Anyone coming from regular mono will need to loosen the drag for fluorocarbon as it does not stretch as much.

Last edited:
T
troutmasta
steelhead_stalkers said:
There have been a lot of test done on knot strength and fluorocarbon. The fish n fool knot retains 100% of the lines strength with fluorocarbon. In some cases it will even make the line stronger than its rating! Google knot wars and watch all of the knots and lines tested, then check out tackletour.com and read up on their review of various fluorocarbons. :D

If anyone is breaking off fish they need to practice the art of fighting a fish instead of blaming the line. :lol: Your drag may be to tight, rod to still for the line test you are using. Anyone coming from regular mono will need to loosen the drag for fluorocarbon as it does not stretch as much.
Agreed,
People dont realized how much mono stretches. Knot wars is awesome!

J
jesse202505
I've fished the clackamas for a few years now all I ever use is jigs. Its about how you present it to the fish. Like not spookinh it and having the jig at the same depth as the fish. Making it less work for the fish to take it. Especially this late in the run. Clear bobbers help me a lot with not spooking the fish.