Camping and fly fishing spots in NE Oregon wilderness

R
rockthez
Hey guys, I am looking for a good place to go were my buddy and I can set up a tent somewhere along the river, not on private property, and fish. Not sure which river would be the best, have been looking at the Grand Ronde and am probably going there. Does anyone know any good location along that river to campout in the wilderness and fish.
Thanks

C
craigatkins
how about the Wallowa river

how about the Wallowa river

There are plenty of places on the wallowa river from where it meets up with the Minam upriver to the end of the canyon. I have been fishing it this year and have had a good deal of luck with black rooster tails fished within 10 ft. or so of the bank while standing 15 or 20 ft. out in the river. There are several pull outs that go away from hiway 82 down to the water between mile marker 34 and 40 or so. Also going downriver from where the minam and wallowa meet there are a few spots of nice water.

If you take the Promise road from just outside of Wallowa to Troy right where the road meets the Grand Rhonde there is a spot to camp. Good luck. I am told that the water temp is pretty high on the GR so you will be looking at more bass than trout. We are looking at dry weather for the next 10 days here so no worry about rain other than the occasional thunder storm.

R
rockthez
Awesome.. Thank you for the info. I will be heading over there September 7th, just got work off! I figure even if I dont catch anything it will be a great time. Again, thanks for the info thats probably where ill go

W
womanwhofishes
what a great thread !!
SsS and I are always looking for great (free?) place to camp and fish next to the water..

L
lizardman
Pendland (or is it Penland) Lake east of Heppner is a great place for trout fishing and camping (free, but primative sites with no running water and only one or two pit toilets... bring your shovels and own Toilet paper).

The lake is stocked once a year with 2000 fingerlings, but if there isn't a big winter kill there can be some very nice rainbow trout in there. In previous years I have marked 19-25 inch fish with a Fishing Buddy fishfinder made by Bottomline (no longer in business... Hummingbird took them over and closed the plant, but Hummingbird makes some portable battery operated fish finders too). I have caught 13-15 inch rainbows there in previous years as well (limited out in an hour one year), but this year my wife caught the biggest trout at 12 inches and the rest we caught were in the 8-9 inch range.

Go through Heppner and turn left (heading east) to go to Willowcreek Resevoire, pass the resevoire and keep going about 30 miles or so. You will pass Cutsforth park (fee camping with running water, and a small creek which has some nice trout) and go another mile or two up the road.. follow the forrest service signs to Penland Lake.

Dave

W
womanwhofishes
ty

ty

Thanks Dave :clap:

We know of Cougar and Hills Creeks Res, Saddle-back dam and loads of different hoodoo sites, But I am sure there is then what I know..

Keep them coming in folks.thanks

(gets a map ready and a marker and a notebook, camping gear,fishing gear is always packed and ready)

R
rockthez
This is all great information, it is greatly helping in the planning of my trip... and yes there is nothing like fishing the puget sound, I am sure you can say that about a lot of places but for someone who lives right by the sound it is an amazing place to go.... ITs time to Fish and Camp for sure

L
Lothar Of The Hill People
The Grande Ronde above Starkey is a great place. There are some really good camping spots right on the river and it should be a good time of year for catching some rainbow. You are only about 30 minutes from I-84, I have fished here many times in the past and have always had a great time. I remember a time.....me and 3 buddies and 4 cases of beer........ohhh what a great trip that was.

R
rockthez
Thats what I wanted to hear, some good camping and good fishing, oh and beer. I am pretty sure we are heading to the Grande Ronde river, can't wait:D. What are you using to catch the rainbow on the Grande Ronde. .Thanks

Last edited:
L
Lothar Of The Hill People
The water level was kinda low but there has been some rain recently so it should be about right. You can fly fish using wet flys or a yellow/black or yellow/red Rooster Tail or Panther Martin lure (approximates grasshoppers), works well. If all else fails then a good ol' nightcrawler on a number 6 hook with a couple of splitshot about 18" up from the hook will work. Just remember that with the warmer water temps they will be holding in the deeper holes and under shaded banks.