Brown trout? Yes please!!!

T
tim
im headed to paulina lake and was wondering if a boat is needed to hook into a brown. havent fished for em before. seems like my best bet would be to troll for em but not sure. any advice for the fish or the lake would be awesome. thx

troutdude
troutdude
Some sort of flotation device is your best bet. Most peeps troll w/ Rapala's. But, many are tagged w/ flies, spinners and other set ups.

T
tim
sounds good

sounds good

thx for that info. i was thinkin repalas. now i know. i have access to my fathers boat. 14 ft aluminum with an electric motor. ive been toyin around with the idea of bringin it. bank or boat? im still deciding.

troutdude
troutdude
tim said:
thx for that info. i was thinkin repalas. now i know. i have access to my fathers boat. 14 ft aluminum with an electric motor. ive been toyin around with the idea of bringin it. bank or boat? im still deciding.

Dude, if you have access to a boat...what is the hold up? Boat over bank is like Paper over rock man! You'll quadruple your chances of baggin' some fish.

P.S. The floating worm, is an eggcellant idea. And adding scent, to the, worm won't hurt either. BTW, you can also troll some weight and a worm too.

T
tim
sounds good.

sounds good.

the only hold back on the boat is that im not the most expierenced boater. i know its not rocket science. the idea that i have a much better chance to catch fish will most likely convince me. thanks again

T
Thuggin4Life
did you have a chance to read the link i posted for you? great info.

T
tim
yep thuggin i sure did

yep thuggin i sure did

thanks for that. those are some nice fish and also great techniques. have you had success with any of them?

T
Thuggin4Life
Yeah look at my threads in the wickiup section. don't get a chance to fish for browns much but caught fish both times this year using those techniques. and i hooked into a monster last year doing it the same way. only way i will do it and wish i could do it more than i do.

troutdude
troutdude
tim said:
the only hold back on the boat is that im not the most expierenced boater. i know its not rocket science. the idea that i have a much better chance to catch fish will most likely convince me. thanks again

Yep. Bank fishing is usually a "limited access" situation. So, only a few spots that you can try.

You cover a LOT of water, when in a vessel. Even a float tube has definate advantages to banking it. A boat is better yet (depending upon the way you want to fish).

If you do boat it, go SLOW and then go slower. Most peeps troll far too fast.

T
Thuggin4Life
troutdude said:
Yep. Bank fishing is usually a "limited access" situation. So, only a few spots that you can try.

You cover a LOT of water, when in a vessel. Even a float tube has definate advantages to banking it. A boat is better yet (depending upon the way you want to fish).

If you do boat it, go SLOW and then go slower. Most peeps troll far too fast.

I am gonna have to contradict that and say for browns you should troll fast. if you think you are going to slow go faster.

troutdude
troutdude
Always good, to try various speeds...whether casting from the bank or otherwise. Find the speed that works, and stick with it.

S
ShdwmnkyX
Would a fish finder rig work as an alternative for inflating nightcrawlers for browns? Unfortunately for me a boat isn't an option at this point. <:^(

T
tim
boat speed?

boat speed?

thanks again guys. not sure if this is an easily answered question on paper but how would one determine if a speed is to slow or to fast?

T
Thuggin4Life
when trolling fenders and flashers and such you want to go slow. you want a whoomp look to the tip of the pole and you want to feel the blades out there whoomping instead of just spinning with the rod tip almost looking like a bite. for rapalas you go faster. a good way is to set the rapala in the water and see its action if its wiggling really slow then go faster to get a good side to side action and you will think you might be going to fast. then when you get all you line out and meen a lot of line your rod should have a good bend in it and a slight quiver at the tip sometimes. you should be able to feel that rapala back there shaking. another trick is to look for other boats trolling fast and try to mimic there speed.

troutdude
troutdude
ShdwmnkyX said:
Would a fish finder rig work as an alternative for inflating nightcrawlers for browns? Unfortunately for me a boat isn't an option at this point. <:^(

Huh? What do you mean by "fish finder rig"?

R
rainbowfisherman
am I too late to respond??

T
Thuggin4Life
is some kind of slip bobber type rig for quick depth changes until you find how deep the fish are.

T
tim
well im back from paulina. i caught zero fish out of the lake. i did hook into a few nice rainbows tucked away under some logs in the creek running out of the lake. i trolled for the first time ever and had zero luck. i doubt my equipment was even in the right depth of water. i need a fish finder/depth finder thats for sure. i had a lot more fun then i do standing on the bank thats for sure. thanks for all the advice. im hopefully gonna be grabbin a fish finder this week and im plannin my next trip now. most likely this coming sunday.