Brown trout gear

B
Blackdiamond1983
Ok I know I am asking a lot but what would be the ideal gear set up for browns. Rod, reel, line kinda stuff. Possibly lures and bait? Lastly method. Keep in mind I am a bank fisherman for the most part. Thanks.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Blackdiamond1983 said:
Ok I know I am asking a lot but what would be the ideal gear set up for browns. Rod, reel, line kinda stuff. Possibly lures and bait? Lastly method. Keep in mind I am a bank fisherman for the most part. Thanks.

For average fish - the same gear you'd use for rainbows. For above average fish - the same gear you'd use for big rainbows or bass. Where are you going to be fishing mostly - Wickiup? Harriet? The Deschutes? Where you plan on fishing has a big effect on the method, and thus the gear you'd be best with. Generally speaking though...

Brown trout are known for their love of meat when they start getting bigger - they like baitfish imitations, like crank baits and jigs, or streamer type flies. A 6 to 8' medium action rod for 6-12lb line and 8lb mono should be fine for this, throwing crankbaits upto 3 inches long or so. This rod would also work well as a bait fishing rod, and you can throw in line spinners (blue fox, rooster tail, etc) with it too. I'd probably opt for a baitcasting reel/rod combo for this vs spinning reel if you're going to stick with lures 3/8 oz and larger. If you're tossing stuff that's mostly 1/4 oz or lighter - go with spinning tackle and 4 or 6lb line. Or get both types of setup and carry both with you.

They also like leeches and crawfish and other sources of protien. Since real leeches are illegal to use in oregon - gotta go with fakes. Soft plastics, flies, and jigs will be needed here. Crawfish can be fished with (dead, not alive), or you can use crawfish imitation flies and jigs, or crank baits.

How experienced of a fisherman are you, and if inexperienced, how much effort are you willing to put in learning your new gear? If you're new to fishing, or new to baitcasting reels, you're going to want to spend a lot of time practicing off the water, battling the spool over-runs (aka birds nests) when you don't have to worry about loosing fish, loosing lures, or loosing your mind. Spinning outfits are much easier to learn on, and have fewer birds nests.

The other solution would to become a fly flinger. You can throw everything from itty bitty midge imitations to meaty looking minnow patterns on one rod (something like a 10 foot long 5 or 6 weight fly rod would be good for a bank bound angler wanting the power to fish some bigger flies and still throw the small stuff that even big fish will key onto occasionally.)

O
OnTheDrop
Brown trout are my favorite "Trout" to target. Rapala type lures ranging from 3-10" ( Yes, 10", the big ones feed on big sources of food ) are a favorite for getting the big ones. These are predatory fish so imitate something they can kill. Krocodiles are my second favorite lure for them. Casting and retrieving with these are a dream as you can cast 'em a country mile and can cover a lot of water.

For bait look no further than a night crawler...

Any method of imitating prey will catch them, but this is one fish where "Big baits" catch "Big fish".

Last edited:
R
radiation
What worked the best for me when I lived in Central Oregon was a 4" floating Rapala in the frog pattern. This was strickly in the rivers and streams. They used to attack it like a fat kid on cake!:thumb:

troutdude
troutdude
GungasUncle said:
They also like leeches and crawfish and other sources of protien. Since real leeches are illegal to use in oregon - gotta go with fakes. Soft plastics, flies, and jigs will be needed here. Crawfish can be fished with (dead, not alive), or you can use crawfish imitation flies and jigs, or crank baits.

Real, but dead, leeches aren't legal? I thought that such baits can be used, IF dead, AND from the same body of water? Did I miss something, in the reg book?

T
Throbbit _Shane
Lots of people use the Tasmanian Devil lure for them. Especially at Lemolo and other near by lakes.

troutdude
troutdude
Throbbit _Shane said:
Lots of people use the Tasmanian Devil lure for them. Especially at Lemolo and other near by lakes.

Yeah, that's right. Thanks for mentioning them, Shane. Think I'll grab some, for the Hagg opener and see how they do with bows.

B
Blackdiamond1983
Well I am no beginner to fishing. Would be fishing wikiup. I have a few differ rod reel combos to choose from.a cabelas tourney trail one piece nine foot light medium action with a Abu Garcia reel loaded with eight pound spider wire.

H
hydropsyche
Another option is bobber and jig. I fish nymphs under a thingamabobber with a fly rod from the bank and do pretty good. A little green tungsten bead head nymph around size 16-20 accounts for most of my fish around there from late June till August, around fall I like streamers use rapalas if fishing gear.

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
troutdude said:
Real, but dead, leeches aren't legal? I thought that such baits can be used, IF dead, AND from the same body of water? Did I miss something, in the reg book?

I double checked the reg book, and it looks like dead leeches are good to go - as it states "live leeches may not be used as bait or in angler's possession while angling." A dead leech might work on a cast & retrieve, but isn't the attraction for using them having them swimming and wiggling and gyrating to draw attention? If casting & retrieving, I'm thinking that leech flies - especially ones tied with rabbit leather or thin marabou - would work very similarly. Where would you get dead leeches though?

S
sunsalem
radiation said:
What worked the best for me when I lived in Central Oregon was a 4" floating Rapala in the frog pattern. This was strickly in the rivers and streams. They used to attack it like a fat kid on cake!:thumb:
Unfortunately, it looks like Rapala no longer makes them (according to their website).

hydropsyche said:
Another option is bobber and jig. I fish nymphs under a thingamabobber with a fly rod from the bank and do pretty good. A little green tungsten bead head nymph around size 16-20 accounts for most of my fish around there from late June till August, around fall I like streamers use rapalas if fishing gear.
I haven't tried the bobber/jig setup yet, but I have been thinking of giving it a try on the Deschutes stretch from Bend to Wikiup.
Seems like a good spot to give it a go....