Brown trout anyone?

B
beaverfan
bigfootfish said:
Searun Browns? I'm not sure. I don't think so. Never heard of that one.
BFF

Ya they're very common in Europe and the East Coast of the U.S. I think I even read an article about them being in California somewhere. Here's some pics I found on Google.

T
troutmasta
Sic. I want one. or two.:D

T
TTFishon
beaverfan said:
Ya they're very common in Europe and the East Coast of the U.S. I think I even read an article about them being in California somewhere. Here's some pics I found on Google.

Wow! I wish we had those here.

B
beaverfan
Hahaha Heck ya those are some pigs for sure!

T
TTFishon
I wonder what they taste like?

T
troutmasta
Watermelon Hamburgers :lol::lol: (its a joke check some recent posts you;ll get it....)

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
Argentina, Chile, all patagonian rivers.... sea run brown trout mecca!!! and some of the best Rainbow fishing this side of New Zeland. Some day I will walk like david carradine ( cain? ) in kung fu all over patagonia with nothing but a flyrod, a redbull, a flask of jamesons and a pack of marb reds. casting to any fish that will rise....:)

B
bigfootfish
Do Brown Trout taste good?

Do Brown Trout taste good?

Yes. Yes. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Browns are not bony and they have a fantastic flavor. That monster(HAPPY HALLOWEEN!) posted by beaverfan(GO DUCKS!!!) caught by that angler has a mouth like a northern Pike! Yow! Though that other pic looks like a salmonid. Hmmm. Browns ARE a member of the salmon family, not trout, if I remember right.

BFF

B
bigfootfish
New Zealand Trout

New Zealand Trout

My Uncle Richard went to New Zealand 30 years ago, and caught big trout galore. He told me the average trout caught in NZ was 2 feet long. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

BFF

H
halibuthitman
Its been my expirence that ALL fish that were not photographed end up being two feet after a couple years!;) and Im no salmon farm biologist but that fish on the right looks just like an atlantic salmon to me?!?!?:think:

B
bigfootfish
Naw!

Naw!

Atlantic Salmon don't get that big! They have 'em in East Lake, I've caught dozens of them trolling Ford Fenders, half brass half silver blades, using a snubber ahead of the hook. Of course, AS could get bigger elsewhere. Still a beautiful fish!

BFF

H
halibuthitman
In Nova Scotia and the U.k they run from 15 - 45 pounds, and the average chilean farmed fish are harvested at 16-20 pounds. You say there are landlocked atlantic salmon in Oregon?....... Pictures?

T
TTFishon
Getting back to brown trout in Oregon. Have you fished Linton Lake? My biggest is a 19 incher caught on half a night crawler under a sliding bobber.

B
bigfootfish
Linton Lake & Atlantic Salmon

Linton Lake & Atlantic Salmon

Linton Lale? Isn't that along the McKenzie Pass Hwy? A short hike? Lot's of old lava flows? Brookies and Browns?
About Atlantic Salmon: East Lake, Hosmer, and Gold Lake has them, according to the Oregon Fish Finder:

Oregon Fish Finder

HHM, I got some old pics somewhere of those Atlantic Salmon. That was before I went digital. I'll try to find them and scan them.

BFF

T
TTFishon
Yes, the old Mckenzie Hwy 242 and yes a short hike.

B
bigfootfish
kayakkid

kayakkid

Darn nice brown!

BFF

B
bigfootfish
lasrupus

lasrupus

That's what I said earlier. Mealworms! I'd slide one up the line and another on the hook.

BFF

Big Bait Catches Big Fish!

T
troutmasta
I agree Meal worms are Awesome. There are some hybrid cuttie rainbows in Harriet to they love those things also. But, the browns kill em for sure.

F
firepilot
Have 2 second an earlier post. Big Browns on the Owyhee River below the dam. Last summer caught a 23" with a 3 wt fly rod. Using a big hopper and a size 20 dropper. The fish took the small nymph and the battle was on.

Good fun and you can see them slurping bugs on the surface.

B
bigfootfish
Lower Owyhee?

Lower Owyhee?

Wow. I thought that stretch was about dried up in summer due to all the irrigation water diverted out of Owyhee.

BFF