Bobber set up

H
hvacr1
just wondering on how everyone else set up there weight under the bobber. Banana weight with bead chain or sliding egg sinker above a swivel? does it matter and why?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Inline weight, w/ swivel.

WHY

1. I need a swivel for the junction between my mainline and my leader anyway, I might as well make it my weight.

2. I don't need a big ol hunk of lead that slides up and down my line to come all WWF and smash into my knot every time I cast.

Reactions: brewer
M
mccarrel
Depends on the application. For steelhead jigs and beads I use an inline sinker. Big glob of chinook eggs I do a cannon ball or teardrop off of a dropper from the swivel, lets me lift and bounce on the bottom a bit. I've only used the egg dropper weights above a swivel once or twice and didn't like the feel of the weight sliding while casting.

W
waco
What runwithsasquatch said!

jamisonace
jamisonace
I leave a long tag end where my leader attaches to the swivel. Then I crimp hollow pencil lead to the tag. If the lead somehow gets hung up, it slips right off with a good tug.

W
waco
jamisonace said:
I leave a long tag end where my leader attaches to the swivel. Then I crimp hollow pencil lead to the tag. If the lead somehow gets hung up, it slips right off with a good tug.
I bet that pencil lead gets very long if you are running a 2 or 3oz. Setup! :)

B
brewer
I have always done the egg sinker, I am used to casting with it but reading what runwithsasquatch says it think I will switch it up and give banana weights a try. I bought some lighter ones for steelhead but haven't motivated to do it for salmon. Really jack hammering your knots with that weight cannot be a great thing.

N
n8r1
I use the banana weight with bead chain.

Another thing I do is put a bobber stop/bead above and below my bobber. The one below the bobber I keep a few inches above the banana weight. That way if my weight gets tangled and breaks off, I don't lose my bobber as well.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I've never had a need to go bigger than 3/4 oz. what scenario requires a 3oz bobber? Seriously curious, not being disagreeable.

waco said:
I bet that pencil lead gets very long if you are running a 2 or 3oz. Setup! :)

W
waco
Salmon fishing!

J
JeannaJigs
jamisonace said:
I've never had a need to go bigger than 3/4 oz. what scenario requires a 3oz bobber? Seriously curious, not being disagreeable.

It's hole dependant. I run a 3-4 oz on the Santiam and Mckenzie for springers, and know people that run 5 oz. Some holes on the Alsea and Siuslaw require 2+. Basically any big swirly boily hole (or very fast and deeper water) that holds salmon and is going to need a big weight to get your offering down into the zone and SLOW it down. You don't want it whizzing by their faces at 100mph. I've had way more success since bumping up to larger floats and slowing my roll. I don't even carry anything less than 1.5 for salmon fishing anymore.

As far as the original question, I use inlines or bananas with the bead chain, just depends on what's available when i go to buy more lead. Going to start pouring my own inlines soon here. It's pretty weird going back to steelheading with jigs following salmon season, because I literally just use one or two split shot below a weighted thill fixed float. Feels bizarre using such light gear again.

H
hawgslayer
I started out years ago with a sliding egg sinker with a bead below it to act as a cushion. From what I can remember I don't recall ever having a knot failure due to the jack hammering effect, but I can see where it could be flawed. Since then I've switched to 1.5oz+ bobbers and in-line weights. I fish a lot of deep faster moving water holes, and I feel the heavier weight does get me in that zone. After years of using both methods I prefer the fixed in-line weight. However both will kill fish. It's all personal preference. Tomatoe Tomato

T
troutmasta
I use what ever I can find in my tackle box.

I prefer an in-line trolling weight when I'm going over an ounce. However I'll rock whatever as long as it gets it out and then down.

Jamie- Like Jeanna said, When I'm fishing the Wilson low or any other bigger coastal water I use a 3+ oz. bobber now. Absolute difference in castability and line control. Obviously the 3 oz will wiz it out any distance imaginable, but the biggest deal for me is the slow vertical presentation on fast top water. It will just slugishly bump its way down to the hungry nook, and the 3 oz gets a Vertical presentation in water with different speeds at differet depths.

I still use 1 oz and less for Hos and Chromers-

Last edited:
S
steelhead_stalkers
For steelhead and lighter line situations I use a sliding egg sinker with a bobbers stop bead below the sinker and above and one above my float. This way the swivel is able to do its job. The sliding sinker when using light line helps because the fish can not use that wight to its advantage as it slides around during jumps and head shakes. For Chinook we use a swivel and tie a 6 inch dropper of 12 lb and add a cannon ball sinker. Then off one side of the swivel we will run our leader, 2 ft in dirty water and about three or four feet in clear water. Most of the time 3 oz works perfect but sometimes you need to go up or down. Like Jenna said slow is the key! Setup is very important for successful Chinook float fishing!

H
hvacr1
so what your saying is a 3 way or t type swivel below bobber andthe weight (dropper) on the run and the leader on the tee or branch with 2 ft leader. I will have to try this set up I like the sounds of it. I hadn't done this before because I always thought the weight had to be above your hook but I also am not the best at interpreting the regs sometimes.

Last edited:
R
ryank
I do the same as Steelhead Stalkers. The nice thing is if you hang up, 90% of the time you get everything back but the weight.

42ca35b4-245f-4715-a8ab-a68baf89019d_zps9a202e01.jpg

E
eugene1
I just rigged up a bobber and egg rod tonight for tidewater.

I do it like lots of folks do it for Tbay tidewater. I will be using it in deep holes where fish are stacked up with little current. It could be that the sliding weight doesn't deter the fish's bite though, and instead of grabbing a weight attached to the mainline, the fish just feels the bait/line/bobber and not the weight?

Anyway, this is the rig:
Braid mainline, bobber stop, bead, corkie, bobber (2 oz.), sliding egg weight (2 oz.), bead, swivel, leader (2' of 40# mono), hook (5/0).

Put a bunch of eggs on and let 'er rip.

Good luck,

S
steelhead_stalkers
ryank said:
I do the same as Steelhead Stalkers. The nice thing is if you hang up, 90% of the time you get everything back but the weight.

42ca35b4-245f-4715-a8ab-a68baf89019d_zps9a202e01.jpg

Yep! That's how its done! :D

B
bigboy70
ive heard about these banana weights and have a bunch with the ball chain thing this is probably a really dumb question but i dont how to rig it up the right way if someone could explain or show me id appreciate it i kno this is the first year im actually going salmon fishing solo and i only learn how to drift fish from an old guy lol i get the bobbedr setup just never used it personally thanks all inpput for a newbie to salmon fishing im all ears

B
bigboy70
well geeze guys thanks for the help lol how long of leader do you use from inline sinker to eggs i thing mine is like 18" right now is that alright or am i setting myself up for failure again lol