Bobber and jig winter steelie

Q
Quizzrules
Hey guys,
for winter steelhead I have been fishing down at high rocks using spinners. But last week I was with a guide who said to use bobber and jig down there. So I was wondering how deep should i let my jig go? I know steelhead hide down on the bottom of rivers but i don't know if I should go 2ft, 4ft or 6ft? Any ideas?

S
SantiamDrifter
You want to fish your jig 1-3 ft. off the bottom. If you dont know how deep a hole is, start out shallow and add depth to your presentation after every cast until you start to see your float pointing down stream. That means you jig is dragging on the bottom. Then adjust your jig up from there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
you want to be a little bit off the bottom, so whatever the depth of the area(if you don't know then experiment ) and try to get like half a foot off the bottom. correct me if im wrong anybody, but this is what i have been told by several people. same thing is also true nymphing for trout with a strike indicator which is basically bobber fishing

W
waco
Thats a tuff question since I don't know how deep the section of the river is!! I would said instead try to run your jigs just between one and two feet off the bottom!!

S
SantiamDrifter
The depth you run off the bottom really depends on water clarity. If its gin clear the fish can see your jig 20 ft away, and if they want it, they'll come up 3 feet to strike. If its mud though, you need to put that jig right on the fish's nose. But you should always play on the safe side and run the jig higher then lower. Fish look up, not down. And if you tend to run your jigs too low, you will break off more often.

Q
Quizzrules
OK thanks. I am guessing high rocks is about 10-12 feet deep normally but now I bet it is about 8ft.

W
waco
Honestly I don't think high rocks is a good spot for steelhead but who knows you can get some. I know that water is great for salmon!!!

W
waco
Just drive on Clackamas river drive and you will see a lot more better water for steelies!!

Q
Quizzrules
What about Barton or Carver? I know those are good for salmon, but i've never tried for steelies there.

W
waco
Now we are talking about business!! Those are great sections of water for steelhead!!

Q
Quizzrules
ha ha ha... I live 5-10 min from barton so I will be heading there from now on... Should I use spinners or bobber and jigs there?

W
waco
Try both and don't forget the bait too!! And drift fishing too

Reactions: bigsteel
F
flytrekker1007
Is the winter run better than the summer run. Because I fished it this summer a few times and didn't catch anything. Have you fished the mouth of eagle creek, where it comes into the clack?

W
waco
I don't know if is better but winters are usually more aggressive and bigger than summers !!! And this early in the run you'll best bet will be lower clack and lower EC!!

F
flytrekker1007
Ok cool. Do you bank fish and if so how do you fish it? I've only fished it a few times and I haven't figured out what the fish go for in that river.

N
nativefish
Aint nothing wrong with high rocks if you ask me... sea lions feast down there so u know there be some fish around. Just got to go check it out and pay attention to what succesful anglers do.

W
waco
nativefish said:
Aint nothing wrong with high rocks if you ask me... sea lions feast down there so u know there be some fish around. Just got to go check it out and pay attention to what succesful anglers do.

There isn't sealions in high rocks!!! I think you are confusing high rocks with a diferent park!!!
High rocks is the park right next to DMV in gladstone!!!

B
BOXOR
I saw a sea lion at the drift just down from high rocks last spring. Didn't see it eating fish but it was up there looking.

Y
youngbuck307
yea sealions are in high rocks now and then... spring you got a lot better chance of seeing them being waters high enough for them to come right up and there after them big balls of springers... and waco I think summers are way more aggressive than summers they run down spinners from 20ft away sometimes you will never see a winter do that normaly. Its just to cold so they dont eat as much due to there matabolism being slower, also they arent in the system as long as summers so normly they dont have to eat as much befor they go back out. But I wouldnt fish High Rocks for steel myself I would go up river.... look for something thats 3-6ft deep at a fast walking speed and toss spinners and drift fish it. Then bobber fish the stuff thats slower and deeper. I stay away from the big huge deep holes normaly when it comes to steel.

W
waco
Well maybe if you are lucky you will see a sealion on high rocks but not to said they feast there and Tom you might be right but in my experience winter are way more aggressives than summers and the reason I said this is I have a special fly for steelhead and summers are always scare of it, but winters attack them!!!