Blue gill

T

TTFishon

I love catching big bluegill. Of course I haven't caught a big one since I was a kid. That pic takes me back. Thanks for sharing.

troutdude

troutdude

According to Moon Outdoor's "Oregon Fishing", the state record 'gill is 2 pounds and 5.5 ounces. It was caught in a farm pond, in 1981, by Wayne Elmore.

I wonder if yours was bigger?

If it was bigger (or even close to it)...I'd make more trips to that same place if I were you. You might get your name on the record books!

T

TTFishon

According to Moon Outdoor's "Oregon Fishing", the state record 'gill is 2 pounds and 5.5 ounces. It was caught in a farm pond, in 1981, by Wayne Elmore.

I wonder if yours was bigger?

If it was bigger (or even close to it)...I'd make more trips to that same place if I were you. You might get your name on the record books!

When I was a kid I caught a 13 incher on a crappie jig. I wonder how much it weighed? :D

T

TTFishon

Did you measure it? Doesn't really matter anyway. What matters is the smile on the face.

troutdude

troutdude

When I was a kid I caught a 13 incher on a crappie jig. I wonder how much it weighed? :D

I think that a trout that length is around a pound. A gill that is probably similar. A gill isn't as fat in the belly, but it's taller from belly to dorsal.

T

TTFishon

I think that a trout that length is around a pound. A gill that is probably similar. A gill isn't as fat in the belly, but it's taller from belly to dorsal.

That makes sense. I just remember it looking freakishly big. Sorry for the hijack.

troutdude

troutdude

Whoops. I didn't intend to hijack either. My apologies.

(subliminal message to self: stay on topic, stay on topic)..............................

S

steelhead_stalkers

Thats a nice one. I used to live on a private lake stocked with Florida strain large mouth and massive blue gill. They averaged 8 inches and got up over a foot long! Lots of fun on a fly rod. Good job!

D

dan88

i haven't seen too many blue gills so that one is pretty big haha. nice fish!!

C

Coho Kid

If it doesn't fit in a pan, can you still call it a panfish?