Best trout recipe

808state
A bit more fancy, But maybe you got a date or a anniversary dinner!

A bit more fancy, But maybe you got a date or a anniversary dinner!

Im a sous chef in a restaurant and this is something ive done a variation with but its easy, late summer esque and you can enjoy with good beer or a cold white wine.

Trout with Cherries and heirloom pear Tomato, herb Cous Cous

For the Cherries
1-2 cups of halved pitted cherries
3 cups of water ( brought to a boil)
1 tbs salt
1 tbs sugar
about 2-3 tbs red wine vinegar ( white is cool)
black pepper corns, bay leaf, 2 garlic cloves (whole, slightly crushed)
add all the ingredients to the boiling water accept the cherries. let ingredients boil for 2 minutes turn off and put cherries in hot liquid and let cool down at room temperature and set aside in the fridge after cooled.

For the Cous Cous

( so easy!) everyone has a coffee pot or a tea kettle ( i assume) grab 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cous cous per person ( size depends on how hungry you are) put in a bowl and cover about 1 1/2 inches from the top of the cous cous with boiling water. Season with salt and pepper and a touch of honey ( if doing enough for 4 people use about a tablespoon) it will add some sweetness to the cous cous rounding out the dish along with a couple pieces of unsalted butter no margarine! light olive oil would work well too. cover with plastic wrap or if you have a lid cover with that. let sit till water has dissolved and fluff with a fork or mix with a fork.
quarter the tomatoes ( about 4-5 per person) and roughly chop the herbs ( fennel tops,basil,chives, fresh parsley are a great combo any two or three would be great) and 1 stp of lemon zest and mix all ingredients, test for salt and pepper honey and fat( light olive oil or butter) and mix again.

For the Fish.
zest lemon on the fish with a little drizzle of the juice rub them into the fish let set in the fridge for about 5 minutes ( zest of a half lemon per half of fish). after the 5 minutes take the fish out and wash off in the sink ( you just lightly cooked the trout like ceviche imparting some of that fresh lemon flavor). Pat dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Grill,Fry, Sautee or Bake your fish however you like it.

take out your cherries and mix them with a good canola oil about 1 tbs per 1/4 cup of cherries. so you create a sort of pickled vinaigrette. season with pepper and put on top fish. and the cous cous under the fish so you eat EVERYTHING together. all the flavors together should be great. Hope its doesn't seem too crazy! its actually pretty easy and fairly fast. This isn't an exact recipe just a guideline off the top of my head change things however you like i mad ethe pickle brine fairly light if youw ant sweet cherries add mor sugar to the brine or less vinegar. Hope my input helps!

808state
you can also make a simple cherry butter sauce too just cook down cherries with a little sugar salt and pepper in a couple cups of water and let it reduce by half ,turn the heat off and stir in a couple pieces of butter

Last edited:
808state
dangerranger said:
my favorite trout recipie:

clean your fish and cut the heads off
cover the whole outside and inside of trout with mayo (i know it sounds wierd)

the spice it up with salt and pepper, garlic powder, anything you want
chop up some onions and add some fresh garlic

wrap the whole thing up in foil, and turn the ends of the foil upward

throw it on the bbq for about ten mineutes a side
when you open the foil all the skin will stick to the foil and you can grab the tail fin and peel it up, most all of the bones will come right out of the meat, it makes the fish super tender and tastes pretty darn good:D

Totally do that in the islands with Parrot fish. i just thought it was an island thing..

W
wormosa
dangerranger said:

when you open the foil all the skin will stick to the foil and you can grab the tail fin and peel it up, most all of the bones will come right out of the meat, it makes the fish super tender and tastes pretty darn good:D

why coat the fish with mayo? i heard of this with salmon, i just do not understand..

R
Redfox458
dangerranger said:

I caught two trout from North Fork Res the other day and cooked them like this for a friend of mine.....now they want the recipe. They loved it! Thank you dangerranger! :clap:

D
dangerranger
Redfox458 said:
I caught two trout from North Fork Res the other day and cooked them like this for a friend of mine.....now they want the recipe. They loved it! Thank you dangerranger! :clap:

no problem redfox, its pointless to keep a good recipie to yourself lol. now, you got two at n. fork, im jealous lol i havent had a chance to use that recipie myself in a while. we tried n.fork last week and got skunked, then went down to faraday and got skunked too. Were have you had good luck at north fork? ive only ever bank fished there once. I used to have a boat and did pretty good with that. The one time i bank fished it i fished by the culvert and by the lower boat ramp and nothin.

R
Redfox458
dangerranger said:
no problem redfox, its pointless to keep a good recipie to yourself lol. now, you got two at n. fork, im jealous lol i havent had a chance to use that recipie myself in a while. we tried n.fork last week and got skunked, then went down to faraday and got skunked too. Were have you had good luck at north fork? ive only ever bank fished there once. I used to have a boat and did pretty good with that. The one time i bank fished it i fished by the culvert and by the lower boat ramp and nothin.

Just got two early yesterday morning down by the culvert. Dont fish the "lake" side, fish the reservoir side. I used yellow/orange powereggs off the bottom, 3 1/2" of leader. I was there around 645am. Try that, and then you can try this awesome recipe again!

T
Troutier Bassier
3 Foot Leader!
Im going Brooder fishing so Ill probally have a 20+ inch fish on my Hands. And I want it Tasty! Not Oily like Smoked fish. So Im gonna try out some of these Recipies.

T
Timber
Wow! I am going to try this. Always looking for something new and this sounds great. I wish I could remember my Cajun Trout Meniure (spelling?) recipe with toasted almonds. Give me a couple of days and my brain cells may kick in.

T
Timber
Oh, I forgot. Just got back from BC and had a Cajun grilled halibut fillet with mango salsa. It would work excellent with large trout. I will experiment and pass it on.

S
smokemwhenucatchem
I just like to smoke my fish but last night we went to a party and took smoked trout and salmon and my wife made a salsa or sauce if you will that goes with the smoked fish so well I really couldnt believe it trust me its really good.

one fresh mango peeled and pitted
one fresh ripe pear peeled and cored
1 to 2 teaspoons of chipolte seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon lemon juice

put ingredients into food proccessor and pulse until desired consistency.

just put a little on some smoked fish and man thats some good stuff

T
Throbbit _Shane
dangerranger said:

I did this one today for lunch but in the oven. It was very good thanks :D

M
Mmfh
fishin_fool said:
I smoke all my trout but I do have a great tomato basil marinade recipe for salmon that would probably work wonders for trout to.

I would love to have a good tomatoe basil recipe for salmon!

Mm

M
mgdguy
Timber said:
Whole bodied trout (but cleaned first - very important)
Fry up some bacon. Take the cooked bacon out of the pan and pour off some of the grease. Leave about 1/4 inch in the pan. Sprinkle salt to taste in the cavity of each trout and dredge in flour. Throw the trout in the pan but make sure the grease is just starting to smoke. Sprinkle outside of trout with salt and pepper. Fry each side until golden brown and crispy. Works best over a campfire along a stream or lake.

We fried our trout up this way tonight - YUM :cool:

R
RLK
All these recipes sound so good. My trout recipe is nothing more than a whole trout cleaned, skeward maybe a little mayo and cooked over a fire. You folks have just made me really hungry.

F
fishfor life
great recipes guys, thank you......:clap::clap:

D
dinghy
fillet and skin, use Louisiana breading- buy at fred meyer. pan fry or deep fry. make homemade tarter sauce. simple-fast-good

S
strawberry shortcake
spicy brush on glaze for any gamefish (adjust seasonings to suite your own sense of aroma and taste):

2 T butter
3 T firmly packed brown sugar
2 t ground coriander
1 t ground fennel seeds
3/4 t cayenne
1/2 t EACH ground cardamom, ground cumin, and salt
1/4 t EACH pepper, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon
1 T lemon juice

Combine mix over heat. If you want a more smoky flavor, add a little drop of Wright's Hickory Season liquid smoke. Brush mixture evenly over tops and sides of fish steaks or fillets. Cook as desired (roast, broil, BBQ, fry). You can also add onion but I prefer to do this only if dry heat cooking. Fresh chopped cilantro makes a nice finish as does lemon wedges for those who like lemon. I also like to grind my spices fresh but if you don't have fresh, mortar and pestle them a bit, one spice at a time, to bring out the flavor.

For quicker recipe: I just Cajun fried a couple of smallish freezer trout and boy did they turn out good! I love me some Cajun spice mix but I always add a bit of brown sugar to the dry season mix (just a tiny bit). I sprinkle this on the inside of the fish then I roll the outside in flour and cornmeal. Fry in oil. I don't open up the fish, I just fry on both sides with the cavity closed around the spices I sprinkled in. Just before finishing I baste the outside with a spicy southwest flavored mustard (Jack Daniels or the cheaper and just as good Walmart brand). The brown sugar sweetens the trout meat inside just enough. The mustard glaze on the outside adds a tart lemon-like bite without using lemons. I don't like lemon on my trout as trout is not sweet enough as it is.

This would work on the BBQ as well. I'm going to basket BBQ my fillets and baste with that mustard this August when I host my ranch party.

Last edited:
S
strawberry shortcake
Ran across another wet rub called Red Pepper Paste that sounds good.

2 T sweet paprika
2 T smoked paprika
2 T red wine vinegar
9 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves, crumbled
1 T tomato paste
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
7 sprigs fresh cilantro
5 sprigs fresh parsley
1 1/2 T kosher salt
1/4 t white pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Combine all ingredients except oil in a food processor and pulse until garlic and herbs are minced. With motor running, slowly add olive oil until a thick past forms. Spoon into a jar and refrigerate up to a month. Makes about a cup.

You might spice this up with cayenne pepper and sweeten it a bit with brown sugar.

S
strawberry shortcake
Just BBQ'd freezer fish from last year using the Cajun seasoning on the inside and the southwestern mustard on the outside. Oh my. The mustard baste brightens freezer fish right up. They tasted like I had just pulled them out of the river. The skin was Cajun black, crisp, and had a delightful flavor from the mustard. While I do love the make ahead wet rubs, this is so easy.

7/22/10 Did another group of freezer fish yesterday on the barby. This is so good and easy to fix, plus it smells delicious while cooking. This time I didn't have enough southwest mustard left so I combined what I had with some very seedy deli mustard, and a 1/4 jar (or whatever was left in the jar - I didn't measure it) of "Harry and David Pepper and Onion Relish Classic Recipe". This is a sweet hot garnish for meat that is a killer and made from tomatoes, onions and various peppers (probably red and red hot peppers). It is sweet at first but then you get a rush of burn. Anyway, the baste was wonderful.

Last edited: