Best lure you ever owned?

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
What gave you more fish under many circumstances than anything else? Im talking for trout. For me, the all time best is a small bright yellow rooster tail spinner. Second place was the old super duper. Do they still make those?

Reactions: Admin
B
BrandonBeach
#2 Pink pearl Spin-N-Glo. Hands down best lure I’ve ever fished with.

As a young teen, my Dad, Brother and I used to Bank fish the Columbia for Salmon and Steelhead. I probably caught 30-45 fish, mostly steelhead, on that lure. Actually lost it twice, once my Dad snapped It off on a cast and a guy down the bank reeled it in and gave it back to me. The other time I lost it on a snag, someone hooked onto a part of the snag ( sunken log or Bush ) and pulled it in. I traded him another lure for that one back.

finally lost it, don’t remember how. Fished that thing 2-3 years. Was a great one, would catch a harvest trout ( sea run cutthroat ) now and then also.

Aww the memories, my Dad and Brother are Both gone now. So are most of the Salmon and Steelhead. Maybe we caught too many back then......

Best pic I could find.

BB

• E027466E-AA9A-4415-95BB-23B92B94F52C.jpeg
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Worton's Vibric Rooster Tail "Bad Boy": flo orange body- gold blade.

BiMart sold these before Yakima Bait Company stopped making them, I started slaying SRC (trout) and coho at Siltcoos with them in 2016, both casting and trolling them bare. That year, I only had one of this pattern but between kayak and powerboat, of the 9 adult coho we put in the net that year, 8 of them were caught on that one lure, despite the fact that it was used less than half the time. I swap on a wide gap Gamikatsu treble and because we almost never lose a spinner at Siltcoos, after 3 or 4 adult coho, on goes a new hook.

(the coho in my avatar was caught on this lure in Oct.2019)

DgEVi5R.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
Casting Call
Casting Call
homemade! I only use it for all my spinner apps. Salmon, trout, rockfish, and peeps. When I did buy it was copper/chrome Andy Reekers in all sizes. Tony

Last edited:
Chromatose
Chromatose
1592151240841.png

hobster
hobster
For trout anyway

1BE0F13D-56C9-4C02-88A5-E6C0CF9BD435.jpeg

Reactions: Socaaron, Snopro and SparkyofSoCal
nikita_pdx
nikita_pdx
1592284383863.png

Reactions: Snopro and SparkyofSoCal
B
bajafire
Trout fishing in the Eastern Sierra and So Cal this was my go to lure in the 50's and 60's. Still use it on occasion today.
1592410805378.png

Reactions: SparkyofSoCal
D
Don Fischer
Boy hard question. But think when things got hard I always turned to either a Super Duper or a Thomas Boyant!

DOKF
DOKF
Gold Panther Martin dressed with ring necked pheasant neck feathers has been my stream and lake go to trout lure since I was a teenager. Sort of like the one below ...

I've had good success with this lure on Hagg and Lost Lakes.

DOKF
DOKF
Lately I've been trying Kastmasters slow trolled, cast from boat, and cast from shore. No luck so far after 3 outings. Am I missing something? Is there a trick?

I have also heard and read good things about Thomas Bouyants and Jake's Spin A Lures. I have just obtained a selection of both, and will add them to my arsenal for the next outing. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Cedonulli
Cedonulli
isn't it interesting to see the similarities? And all are old style simple lures. Guess DOKF: I remember Kastmasters worked well in Eagle Lake CA and in Fall River near Burney but never had much luck with them any place else. Strange.
Most of my fishing days were 1967 through 1973 in Shasta County CA. Burnet creek, Fall river, Baum Lake, and of course Shasta lake and the rivers coming down into it. Shasta was so good back then that your arms tired out before fish stopped biting. Ahh well.

S
Socaaron
I'm with @hobster Hands down for me has to be Thomas Bouyant for trout, let them sink with a slow retrieve for current and a faster retrieve in slack water. Blue rainbow, and gold being the best 2 colors for me. After that black with yellow spotted panther martin

Reactions: hobster
freednog
freednog
Growing up it was the Spin-a-Lure. Many a cutthroat and rainbow met it's match trolling or casting these.

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 4.52.29 PM.png

Sadly, West coast fish seem impervious to them so I'm going to have to say Wooly Bugger. Works on so many species. Casting, trolling, what have you.

Reactions: Troutski
S
Sasquatch Shane
Size zero mepps in rainbow. Every stream in Oregon I have fished it has worked well.

Reactions: freednog
REELY HOOKED
REELY HOOKED
Cedonulli said:
What gave you more fish under many circumstances than anything else? Im talking for trout. For me, the all time best is a small bright yellow rooster tail spinner. Second place was the old super duper. Do they still make those?
All very good lures, growing up in the Klamath Basin I used a brown Rooster Tail or a copper Thomas Buoyant for most of my trout.

Troutski
Troutski
Cedonulli said:
My lure of choice has to be the Lil Cleo 1/4 oz Gold Spoon.
Yes, they still manufacture the Super Duper, now in a wide selection of colors and sizes. Great lure as well...

Chuck

Troutski
Troutski
DOKF said:
Lately I've been trying Kastmasters slow trolled, cast from boat, and cast from shore. No luck so far after 3 outings. Am I missing something? Is there a trick?

I have also heard and read good things about Thomas Bouyants and Jake's Spin A Lures. I have just obtained a selection of both, and will add them to my arsenal for the next outing. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Try adding a swivel at the end of your main line, then 12 - 16 inches of your favorite line. It gives the lure a wonderful flutter action and the experience curve is very short.!!

Tight lines
Chuck

hobster
hobster
Troutski said:
My lure of choice has to be the Lil Cleo 1/4 oz Gold Spoon.
Yes, they still manufacture the Super Duper, now in a wide selection of colors and sizes. Great lure as well...

Chuck
That’s my go to for steelhead. Lil Cleo and Blue Foxes of course

Reactions: Troutski
Troutski
Troutski
freednog said:
Growing up it was the Spin-a-Lure. Many a cutthroat and rainbow met it's match trolling or casting these.

Sadly, West coast fish seem impervious to them so I'm going to have to say Wooly Bugger. Works on so many species. Casting, trolling, what have you.
The cool thing about this lure is you can add a few penny's inside the U shape it adds weight to get the lure deeper when trolling and it doesn't change the action. Additionally the copper from the coins leaves a sent trail of copper.. the fish are attracted by this...

Chuck

Reactions: freednog