Best lure/bait for Steelhead...

Best lure/bait for Steelhead...

• Spinner...

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Spoon...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live bait...(Shrimp/nightcrawlers, legal stuff)

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Other....

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Eggs...

Votes: 11 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B
bigdog
welcome to off both Chris and salmo glad to have you with us and glad you are able to find the info on here helpfull. Yes the people on this forum are very nace and helpfull look forward to seeing your post of the fish you get.

F
FishSchooler
chrishophoto said:
I am just about to buy my first steelhead rod, and am curious what the "other" bait is that seems to be the most popular. Help! I have no idea what I'm doing!

-Chris

Eggs, prawns (shrimp as well), and nightcrawlers will probably do.

A
ArcticAmoeba
"Other" is most likely referring to Corkies, yarn, those artificial egg clusters with a tail, even pink plastics. Eggs is already a category to vote in, same with Live bait, I.E. nightcrawlers, nd shrimp.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
"Other" is most likely referring to Corkies, yarn, those artificial egg clusters with a tail, even pink plastics. Eggs is already a category to vote in, same with Live bait, I.E. nightcrawlers, nd shrimp.

Oh oops my bad, wasn't paying attention

L
luv2fish
salmo102 said:
I don't live in blekinge, i live in belgium, but i go there every year in september to fish for salmon at the crown's fishery in mörrum. Unbelivable: an european salmon fisherman talks about a swedish river with an india native salmon fisherman on an american forum. Let me say: the world is our garden.
Daniel.

credit goes to "the net".... mörrum...i'm hearing this name after almost 10 yrs..should say...i use to fy to scandinavian countries a lot when i use to work from india...o well i was single too at that time..lol..since i started living here in oregon, usa....i kinda stopped travelling that much....and got settled and kids and what not and same ol story like evryone...lol...yes it s great fishery and i although never fished there but use to go there with my friend sometime..well i use to go with hium for Glögg...i can drink it anytime...lol....visit oregon sometimes and you will be surprised to see our most prized behemoth of fish " chinook salmon "...and the fierce"steelhead"....i agree i'm addicted and i don see any break in my addiction..

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Essentially, we pick a blade, based on water speed... Each has a particular speed in which they catch the most fish, absolutely. So you are on the right track for sure. I like the inline blades for trout, but I have yet to hook enough Steel on 'em to determine if they are superior to any other design. That is kind of a cool page, with all the different sounds that crap makes wailin in the water.

K
Kodiak
Inline

Inline

We use some really big "#7" inline for coho and nooks when we are trolling against the current, and it seems to work well. Back in the day we used to throw the big Panther Martins the Yellow body with the orange dots and orange blade and flat hammered fish with them. I can't seem to find that particular one any more.

A
ArcticAmoeba
Ha, my favorite Mepps, was a crazy Yellow body unit, with an ornage blade, and black dots. Can't find it anymore... As usual, like everything else, the best stuff is now the oldest, hardest to find... Like K-Fish...Hopefully that will change soon enough though.

B
bir48die
As many others have said, when I catch one, I'll let you know.

F
FishSchooler
Stoopid question...

Stoopid question...

Wha is the purpose for curing shrimp? More scent/color or for making them tougher/preserved?

B
bigdog
Im not sure about scent I'm thinking it helps the scent depending on how they are cured, but it is used for collor and for preserving them for a longer time.

F
fish_4_all
No such things as stoopid Q. Especially when it comes to fishing.

A lot of cures claim to have hormones, pheramones and whatever other mones in them that stimulate fish to bite. I use cure for color and preserving. Shrimp last 10x longer for me without molding, rotting, and last a lot longer when fishing them.

F
FishSchooler
fish_4_all said:
No such things as stoopid Q. Especially when it comes to fishing.

A lot of cures claim to have hormones, pheramones and whatever other mones in them that stimulate fish to bite. I use cure for color and preserving. Shrimp last 10x longer for me without molding, rotting, and last a lot longer when fishing them.

So if you just salt them up really good, they will toughen (and last longer) and they will have a good scent/better taste and still have the UV in their shells?

K
Kodiak
It should

It should

Just salt would be ok...not as good to eat at the end of the day though. Salt won't kill the natural UV, I would use Kosher salt for that. There is another way too...look online for what they call a "soft" or wet egg cure. Leave the dyes out of it and it will do wonders for your shrimp. It will still retain the natural UV and pick up some of the chemmies that can cause them to trigger.

F
FishSchooler
Kodiak said:
Just salt would be ok...not as good to eat at the end of the day though. Salt won't kill the natural UV, I would use Kosher salt for that. There is another way too...look online for what they call a "soft" or wet egg cure. Leave the dyes out of it and it will do wonders for your shrimp. It will still retain the natural UV and pick up some of the chemmies that can cause them to trigger.

When you say egg cure, you mean shrimp?

Nevermind about that, I found a "wet egg cure" from steelhead university. It is just some borax, salt, and sugar... Eggs are different from shrimp, they are very soft so they need the borax and salt wont really toughen them. But the shrimp (I already have some that are soaking in salt right now and they are pretty tough after the first round of salt) are toughened by the salt. Is borax needed? If it is not, sugar and salt will work?
Thanks Kodiak for all the helpful info--I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
A cure, is a cure, is a cure...You just leave out the bait dye, as stated. There isn't a "special chemical" that only goes into eggs, or shrimp, some people use "secret" chems. It isn't bait specific really, just different varieties of chem. for different species, and water situations is all you need to worry about at this stage...There are different ways of applying cure though, to eggs and shrimp I mean. That is just something you'll have to experiment with.;)

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
A cure, is a cure, is a cure...You just leave out the bait dye, as stated. There isn't a "special chemical" that only goes into eggs, or shrimp, some people use "secret" chems. It isn't bait specific really, just different varieties of chem. for different species, and water situations is all you need to worry about at this stage...There are different ways of applying cure though, to eggs and shrimp I mean. That is just something you'll have to experiment with.;)

how bouts curing with brown sugar?

Im sure the steelhead would like some poop shrimp! :lol:
I dont have regular sugar yet...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Unless you want sticky, stick turd shrimp...Use confectioners sugar...Powder stuff.

F
FishSchooler
ArcticAmoeba said:
Unless you want sticky, stick turd shrimp...Use confectioners sugar...Powder stuff.

powdered sugar?! I guess that stuff would break into the shrimp easier, but all the cure recipes I saw say granulated sugar... Regular stuff.

K
Kodiak
Powdered Sugar

Powdered Sugar

Schooler, Powedered sugar disolves better and won't be as tacky. The molases in brown sugar will turn 'em brown. All powdered sugar is very finely ground white sugar.