Best lure/bait for Steelhead...

Best lure/bait for Steelhead...

  • Spinner...

    Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Spoon...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Live bait...(Shrimp/nightcrawlers, legal stuff)

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Other....

    Votes: 13 31.7%
  • Eggs...

    Votes: 11 26.8%

  • Total voters
    41
  • Poll closed .
Y
yellowjacket
Lures too??!!

Lures too??!!

Troutski said:
Next time you get a hit and no hookup, bring your lure in and spit on it and retry .....;) I may not work but you will look like a pro ;):)

Chuck

Thought that only worked on bait! ;) Fishing with my brother in Ct. on the Willimantic River- the Willy- He was downstream a bit & there was one brother Angler working the riffle where I was. I had just missed what felt like a nice fish after about a 20 min dry spell. The willim.. would go hot & cold so I decided it was time to "spice up" the bait. Used to dip while fishing so I loaded some skoal into the lip. The guy by me had been eyeballing a bit while we were casting & talking cause I guarantee I was the only guy in the state of Ct. trout fishing in a straw stetson & a camo jacket! My brother is deaf so I had to wave my arms around & it took a bit to get his attention, got him to look, pointed to the pocket & motioned big fish to him. Then I planted a big ole wad of snoose juice on the worm & it hung about 18". My brother gives me the you gross so&so look & the other guy chimes in "Man thats nasty" and of course I'm laughing at the whole thing. :lol: I cast the worm with trailing snoose wad, drift to the pocket & get a take. I hook up & pull in a 16" brownie :clap:. But instead of the usual olive brown color this fish was real dark. My brother is looking shaking his head & I turned to the other guy & say "Will you look at this, damn fish is the same color as the tobacco juice!!" Now this guy is laughing so hard his eyes are watering. He throws his arms up in the air , slaps his hands to his knees, picks up his stuff and heads out up the trail and I could still hear him laughing even after he was out of sight. My brother & I fished through the day & C&R'd about a dozen fish each so I guess wintergreen was the flavor of the day!
 
F
Fishtopher
I always thought that kinda thing happened by chance, but hearing more stories of the like makes me think otherwise...

I was fishing with gramps at Kingsly Reseviour when I was 10 or so. Was real windy so we beached the raft, and fished the inlet creek that dumped into the reseviour. After hours with no luck, gramps cracks a joke, and spits his tobacco juice on the crawler, and instantly hooks up. I reeled my line in and he spit on my worm, took me longer, but still hooked up. Caught fish all day on Copenhagen Crawlers:D.

Unsure what flavor he used.:lol: And unfortunatly there were no veiewers to the spectacle...
 
Y
yellowjacket
mods

mods

fish_4_all said:
The blades are ordered from Lakeland Inc. They are narrower and longer than the standard sizes you see on Bf but still a french blade.

The most effective colors for BF here is either a pink or orange body with an opposing pink or orange blade.

The other differences are solid metal beads above and below the clevis as well as a hex brass bead for the rattle.

do you use a crimp tube for a spacer between the bell & hex? Is there a bead between the hex & the twist for the tail eye? hook in the eye or split ring?
Sure ask a bunch of questions don't I :think:
see if these bodies from stamina are what You use.
 
F
Fishtopher
This should help...

This should help...

:think:Sir, I think this will help you out with the above questions, unless they were directed at a specific person:). In the link, you will find detailed pictures, why's, how's, and more. Hope this helps. The spinners were twisted up during Coho season up here, courtesy of fishfinger, so if they can bang out some silvers :)clap:which they certainly did), they should be easily adapted to working these sewer trooters.
 
M
meluvtrout
yellowjacket said:
Yes the Sandy D'Andy. I had seen this tutorial & already saved it. Any idea where to find the particular hex rattle that is in the photo? Doesn't look like a regular hex bead. From the pics of those nice fish looked like the gold french w/ orange or yellow bodies was the hot design.

I believe Dan de la Sandy D'andy got them over at BC Angling Post...
 
F
Fishtopher
:clap:As far as tutorials go, I'd say that is one of the best ones I have ever seen. Detailed how-to, detailed photos of how-to, and the pictures of the results to back it up. Well done.

I never can find any hex beads for the bell bodies, everywhere I look, always sold out, so I havent been able to mass produce any. All the bell bodies I've made so far are all the B.F.'s that I tore up and rebuilt. And can someone tell me; is the piece that is supposedly "vibrax" on a Blue Fox spinner the rattle bead or what??:confused:
 
F
FishSchooler
Fishtopher said:
:clap:As far as tutorials go, I'd say that is one of the best ones I have ever seen. Detailed how-to, detailed photos of how-to, and the pictures of the results to back it up. Well done.

I never can find any hex beads for the bell bodies, everywhere I look, always sold out, so I havent been able to mass produce any. All the bell bodies I've made so far are all the B.F.'s that I tore up and rebuilt. And can someone tell me; is the piece that is supposedly "vibrax" on a Blue Fox spinner the rattle bead or what??:confused:

Buy them at the BC website. Just go to google and search bc angling post it should be the first one there. They have tons of products
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
Fishtopher - Long ago, Blue Foxes had legit Vibrax blades, with the vertical flutes... The packaging changed, but the labeling did not, they are not selling a real Vibrax product.
 
F
Fishtopher
ArcticAmoeba said:
Fishtopher - Long ago, Blue Foxes had legit Vibrax blades, with the vertical flutes... The packaging changed, but the labeling did not, they are not selling a real Vibrax product.

Ha! I knew it! I dont think Im familiar with the blade your talking about. I'll google it up and learn myself aboot it. Thanks.
 
Y
yellowjacket
Vibrax blades

Vibrax blades

ArcticAmoeba said:
Fishtopher - Long ago, Blue Foxes had legit , with the vertical flutes... The packaging changed, but the labeling did not, they are not selling a real Vibrax product.

Any noticable difference in # of strikes/fish since they went to the frenchs? Does any fluted blade create the "vibrax" effect say like a clam shell or does it need to be the wide willow design. Also just looked back at 20% Sale at BC thread & FishFinger posted that BC is the only place he's seen/found that particular hex rattle shape. Their current site looks like it is still in construction so I think a phone call is in the works.
 
F
FishSchooler
yellowjacket said:
Any noticable difference in # of strikes/fish since they went to the frenchs? Does any fluted blade create the "vibrax" effect say like a clam shell or does it need to be the wide willow design. Also just looked back at 20% Sale at BC thread & FishFinger posted that BC is the only place he's seen/found that particular hex rattle shape. Their current site looks like it is still in construction so I think a phone call is in the works.

It should be running, only some images of products arent there. Most of the blades have pictures tho
 
A
ArcticAmoeba
I catch a lot more troots on the few old, old school BF's than any newer one. They do have a weird Vibrax type blade, but it, in all reality is just a good knock off. The Clamshells are not creating the same frequency, but do have a purpose, and a place...Mostly water speed, over cavitation tone, would determine if I used a Clamshell over a Bear Valley, Colorado, or French say.
The hex bodies are designed to be used with a sleve, a nickle bead, and a bell body, all need to be ordered in the same size, as the weights, and sizes vary. They are a very productive spinner if you are halfway versed in swingin thumpers.
 
S
salmo102
best lure for steelhead

best lure for steelhead

We don't have steelhead in europe. We only have atlantic salmon and brown seatrout but sometime, we have rainbow trouts escape from sea farming and those are from the steelhead family. I managed to catch a few this summer in the ronneby river in sweden. All were caught on a myran spinner the tony in 12 grams. Great spinner that swims deep in fast currents.To see one, try lundgrens on google. It's a swedish fishing tackle shop. You also will see that we use a lot of american fishing lures in europe.
 
L
luv2fish
salmo102 said:
We don't have steelhead in europe. We only have atlantic salmon and brown seatrout but sometime, we have rainbow trouts escape from sea farming and those are from the steelhead family. I managed to catch a few this summer in the ronneby river in sweden. All were caught on a myran spinner the tony in 12 grams. Great spinner that swims deep in fast currents.To see one, try lundgrens on google. It's a swedish fishing tackle shop. You also will see that we use a lot of american fishing lures in europe.

do you live in blekinge??? i fished that river somewhere back in 98...i guess..and caught some rainbows with my friend who's a native of sweden and specially Ronneby.....kool to find somebody from there aftre a long time....no i'm not a swede...i'm from india...but use to go and live like 3-4 months fixing my client's problems.....danske traelast...was the hardware company..they use to be my clinet..and kesko as well...anyways...welcome to OFF...i now live here in portland oregon..usa...

hej för nu så länge
 
S
salmo102
unfortunately no

unfortunately no

I don't live in blekinge, i live in belgium, but i go there every year in september to fish for salmon at the crown's fishery in mörrum. Unbelivable: an european salmon fisherman talks about a swedish river with an india native salmon fisherman on an american forum. Let me say: the world is our garden.
Daniel.
 
Troutski
Troutski
Great having you here...

Great having you here...

salmo102 said:
I don't live in blekinge, i live in belgium, but i go there every year in september to fish for salmon at the crown's fishery in mörrum. Unbelivable: an european salmon fisherman talks about a swedish river with an india native salmon fisherman on an american forum. Let me say: the world is our garden.
Daniel.


Elle a beaucoup d'entre vous .... si par hasard, jamais vous avez l'opportunité de venir aux Etats-Unis à venir dans le Pacifique Nord-Ouest et avec tous les membres, nous avons, vous serez tous les jours de pêche avec un autre membre. Tight lignes et d'être bien.

Chuck
 
B
bigdog
Troutski said:
Elle a beaucoup d'entre vous .... si par hasard, jamais vous avez l'opportunité de venir aux Etats-Unis à venir dans le Pacifique Nord-Ouest et avec tous les membres, nous avons, vous serez tous les jours de pêche avec un autre membre. Tight lignes et d'être bien.

Chuck
Hey can we see that in English now :lol:
 
Troutski
Troutski
Sure thing....

Sure thing....

Sorry - what do you mean, you don't speak french ?

It's great to have you here .... if by chance, you never have the opportunity to come to the United States make a stop in the Pacific Northwest and with all the members we have, you will be fishing with a new member each day. Tight lines and be well.

Chuck
 
C
chrishophoto
So what is "other"?

So what is "other"?

I am just about to buy my first steelhead rod, and am curious what the "other" bait is that seems to be the most popular. Help! I have no idea what I'm doing!

-Chris
 
S
salmo102
may be one day...

may be one day...

Thanks a lot chuck. Thank you all of you.. May be next year?
A few words about the forum. I don't write often because of my basic english, but i have learned a lot about twisting and tuning and this forum,and of course the members are realy great!!!
Daniel.
 

Similar threads

S
Replies
9
Views
376
Senkosam
S
Admin
  • Article
Replies
3
Views
478
troutdude
troutdude
bass
Replies
4
Views
2K
bass
bass
bass
Replies
0
Views
81
bass
bass
bass
Replies
0
Views
417
bass
bass
Top Bottom