Berkley Gulp! Night Crawlers

troutdude
troutdude
A few years ago, I made a switch when lake trolling for trout. Instead of the night crawlers from my yard for bait, I bought a jar of Berkley's Extruded Night Crawlers. Here is the link, so you can see them.

I discovered what I feel are some major advantages when using this product:

1. The product stays on the hook for a LONG time...even catching multiple fish. This increases the time that your line is in the water and catching more fish.

2. One jar cost about $5.00, and I haven't used all of the product yet. I would have paid for DOZENS of real worms, therefore costing more money.

So, have any of you also used this product? What do you think about it? Does it work well for you? Have you seen any additional advantages in using it? Have you encountered any disadvantages? I'd like to know if others like this product as much as I do (or not).

N
n8r1
1 more question--has anybody tried these for Steelhead? I hate buying nightcrawlers and only using 1 or 2 of them; this would be a nice alternative if they worked on steelies as well.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Worms in the yard after a rainy night are still cheaper. Iv heard the berkley pink worms work good for steelhead.

Im not gonna buy berkley bait products unless i need some powerbait when i goto Diamond Lake this year :D

Reactions: n8r1
B
beaverfan
I got suckered into buying a jar of them probably 3 years ago and I couldn't catch a thing on em. Never tried trolling them though, they would probably work for that.

T
the salmon kid
those are some good worms man i went to galesville lake and fish those for kokanee on the end of a wedding ring and we just slayed them
tried them at the oxpo ponds and limmited out on trout
and i have hooked one steelie one but it got off
the trick is to get "earthworm oil or jelly' at like srortsmans whare house or where ever they sell it and it works but i dont pute it on the worm itself i put it in the jar with all of the worms and shake it up

works great i dont go fishing without a jar but i would also bring a a can of real worms just incase

troutdude
troutdude
the salmon kid said:
i dont pute it on the worm itself i put it in the jar with all of the worms and shake it up
works great

Too funny; I do that with them too. Great minds think alike, eh?

J
JeannaJigs
I got suckered into buying a jar of those on a camping trip when we stopped at a little store in the middle of nowhere because we forgot worms. Well they didn't sell actual worms. Never caught a thing on those. The fake corn though worked pretty well, though I haven't really fished for trout seriously in 5 years.

P
plumb2fish
Try threading a whole one with a small pink corkie pegged just above it and drift fish it for summers.....

T
Throbbit _Shane
im gonna go get some free worms in a minute

rains good for 1 thing i guess

D
Dweller
I have had very good luck with these. I will look around for some earthworm oil. My only complaint was with the first jar I bought of them. The jar was larger than they seem to be now, and I ended up using it for a season and a half but they started to dry out and became less effective. I still have half a jar (smaller jar) I bought last year that seems to be holding up well.

troutdude
troutdude
Plumb...I plan to try them w/ a corkie for summer's this year. Great idea.

Dweller, I have a jar that's about 4 years old. They are still good, because I occasionally douse them with Berkley's trout scent (oil). They last much longer and won't dry out. Give it a try.