Bead question

hobster
hobster
So I still have yet to land my first steelhead on a fly rod, though I don't use it very often because I'm much more successful and confident w/ drifting and bobber. I'd like that to change, and hope to get the fly rod out when the water clears and drops a bit ( I'd like to use it a bunch this summer also). I've fly fished a lot for trout, and had lots of fun and success with most methods.
Lately I've been very intrigued with bead fishing, and it seems like a killer for steelies and trout alike. Was just curious as to how many of you have used beads, and whats up with the hook up? I've noticed with most beads the hook is about 2 inches from the bead, I used to wonder if this was flossing but the fish is actually taking the bead so it seems like a legit way to hook up. I haven't gotten too in depth with the regs, but isn't it illegal to hook the fish on the outside of the mouth? In pictues I've seen it seems common to hook them outside the mouth. Just a couple of questions, I've already rigged up quite a few beads that are ready to use!

O
OnTheDrop
I've never hooked a steelhead with a bead outside the mouth. They clobber the thing! Of course, if you are using long leaders and have your bead pegged more than 1-2" there's a possibility of "Flossing" a fish.

hobster
hobster
SteelmonKiller20 said:
I've never hooked a steelhead with a bead outside the mouth.

Good to know! Do people just use the standard 9 ft. leader used for trout fishing (7 wt is what I have)?

O
OnTheDrop
Yeah. Adjust your indicator for water depth and what not. Then a split shot or two is required to get your offering in the zone. OR, you can run a heavy fly like a stone with a 12-18" leader to your bead off of that.

Reactions: brewer
W
waco
Flossers hahaha BTW beads are good!

J
jesse202505
A simple bead was the producer of our first winter steel in low clear water this year.

B
bran_man
Just remember if fishing middle fork Willamette and McKenzie, leaders have to be under 5-6 feet (can't remember which) even with fly rods! they don't care if you have 2 or 3 lines. Anything after the fly line they consider part of your leader. Lots of fly guys getting fined lol. And I just use beads right at the hook and still catch plenty of steel. Why bother dealing with whether or not a fish was snagged (a fish hooked anywhere outside of the mouth) when steelies will willingly bite them anyways right? don't bother messing with pegging them above IMO. Its currently not illegal in our zones hobster, but I know a lot of zones are starting to make pegging even just above an 1"or 2" illegal.... I wouldn't be surprised if they made it statewide sometime in the near future. Just seems sketchy to me anyways. But no judgment if that's how you want to fish it :) I still catch fish so doesn't bother me none! Just kind of a warning. Hopes to see you guys out there soon!

hobster
hobster
bran_man said:
Just remember if fishing middle fork Willamette and McKenzie, leaders have to be under 5-6 feet (can't remember which) even with fly rods! they don't care if you have 2 or 3 lines. Anything after the fly line they consider part of your leader. Lots of fly guys getting fined lol. And I just use beads right at the hook and still catch plenty of steel. Why bother dealing with whether or not a fish was snagged (a fish hooked anywhere outside of the mouth) when steelies will willingly bite them anyways right? don't bother messing with pegging them above IMO. Its currently not illegal in our zones hobster, but I know a lot of zones are starting to make pegging even just above an 1"or 2" illegal.... I wouldn't be surprised if they made it statewide sometime in the near future. Just seems sketchy to me anyways. But no judgment if that's how you want to fish it :) I still catch fish so doesn't bother me none! Just kind of a warning. Hopes to see you guys out there soon!

Thanks for the heads up Brandon, that's kinda funny because every leader sold in town is 9 ft. standard. I'll usually tie on a tippet for dries which makes it a little longer. Pretty hard to floss with dry flies :D, which is 80% of my fly fishing anyway.
Only reason I wondered about the beads is the Hevi bead system where you can keep them stable with a rubber band instead of pegging them. I know its used a lot with success and its a pretty cool system really. Seems like it would work great in low clear water since the hook isn't as visible. Having it by the hook is how I've always done it with corkies and yarn and it works great, but I love trying new things. I see where you're coming from, but I might give it a whack this summer. I'll be on the Slaw next week, inbox me if you're heading out! Hope to see you out there if not i'll see ya on the Mac.

B
bassboy
bran_man said:
Just remember if fishing middle fork Willamette and McKenzie, leaders have to be under 5-6 feet (can't remember which) even with fly rods! they don't care if you have 2 or 3 lines. Anything after the fly line they consider part of your leader. Lots of fly guys getting fined lol.

This just simply isn't true. If you are using attached weight (i.e. split shot) then you might have to watch out how far you keep your weights from your fly. But if you are keeping it a standard 18-24 inches away you can use a 9 or 10 foot leader at the end of the fly line no problem. That's like telling gear fishermen they can only fish with 5 feet of line out past their rod tips.

B
bran_man
dont take my word for it, just what I have been told by fellow anglers... Just trying to help people avoid trouble if that is the case. better safe than sorry :)

H
halibuthitman
A leader is the distance between the first weight or swivel and the hook-

F
FlyBum
halibuthitman said:
A leader is the distance between the first weight or swivel and the hook-

Thank you for a clarification as per definition from the Oregon Synopses! :thumb:

Hearsay is not law... If this is your attempt to not have fly anglers on your water sorry, didn't work...

B
Bean
Bead fishing definitely gets a lot of flack. Flossing...ug. There are actually regulations on certain rivers about where you can peg your bead (or the distance between, if you're running a double bead rig). I think the only way you're going to see a bead on the outside of a fish's mouth is if you're pegged way too high. I'm thinking just under two inches above the hook is fine. There again, if you're too close to the hook, you'll lose fish. In my opinion, flossing is when you cast a weighted rig across a run of water and retrieve until you feel weight, then set the hook. Flossing is akin to snagging I'd say. Anyway, rant aside, bead fishing is incredibly effective almost any time of the year. Color of beads is probably the key. Check out trout beads.com. Lots of dudes have coveted painting methods as well. It takes a bit to figure out, but keep trying. Also youtube has plenty of videos for setting up your rig.