Bass near Milwaukie, OR (near Oregon City/Portland)

A
AlexCrowson
I'm looking for bass near milwaukie, OR. I've tried a few ponds and the Willamette, but no luck. I was wondering if anyone lives near Milwaukie / Clackamas and knows any good spots for bass. Thanks!

Alex

I have been catching a ton out at elk rock. Nothing big but large numbers.

can you get there by foot?

sure you can.

Hi There. this morning, I tried going out to Elk Rock Island. I couldn't figure out how to get to the actual bank. I drove over the sellwood bridge, down that main road toward Lake-O, then took a left on Military Road. I explored all those streets, but all I could find are houses I'll never afford. How do you get to elk rock island? it sounds like a great place.

You need to access it from the other side of the river, off McLoughlin Street near Keller Park.

A much Easier place to fish for Bass is George Rodgers park in Lake O. Smallies hangout all up and down the shelf that runs along the whole parkside shore. I prefer to fish the Rocks at the South end of the park. There is a large cement structure, fish near there and your chances of Bass are good.

That looks like a good spot. I'll for sure explore that park. Has anyone ever fished clackamatte lake? it's right across from clack. park. it looks like a nice little pond.

How are the crowds at George Rodgers Park in lake O? Are you constanly casting over peoples dogs and swimming teens? I ave heard some good things about the fishing there but it seems like a place that would get packed tight on a nice day.

jpjule said:
sure you can.
Hey jpjule,

just noticed that you're in SE Portland and like to fish on Elk Rock Island. I was just there today scoping it out for the first time and am looking forward to getting out there with my pole in hand. Do you think there's a possibility of catching a trout or two out there or just bass?

Dan

You might catch a Salmon or Steelhead but not a lot of trout in there (probably none)

I agree with beaverfan. There are plenty of smallmouth though.

Go to the willy out of newberg and use like a 1/4 oz lead hedded jig with any white plastic bait just jig it in and out of the structures caught 4 large 3 smallies today.

AlexCrowson said:
Hi There. this morning, I tried going out to Elk Rock Island. I couldn't figure out how to get to the actual bank. I drove over the sellwood bridge, down that main road toward Lake-O, then took a left on Military Road. I explored all those streets, but all I could find are houses I'll never afford. How do you get to elk rock island? it sounds like a great place.

Just curious, why did you try accessing it from the west side of the river? It's on the east side unless I am completely confused to what you're talking about. I tried going there one time as well but had no idea where to try and walk out.

You just have to walk down the path near the recently built childrens play structure to get out there. I have been out there a few times in the last few weeks and the fishing has been very very slow. I don't know if the fish moved to deeper water or what since it has cooled down but I had way more action out there when it was hot outside. Maybe I am just doing something wrong.....